diy solar

diy solar

SOLVED: EG4 Lifepower4 24v dead battery reading on Magnum 4k hybrid inverter.

McRod

Solar Enthusiast
Problem: Magnum 24v MSH4024M inverter detects a "dead battery" or "low battery" after disconnecting from any AC input charging or power source, i.e generator or external power cord while using the EG4 Lifepower4 battery.

This does NOT happen if I have a DC charging source other than the EG4 Lifepower4 battery, i.e. the solar charge controller (SCC) is pulling in DC power during daylight.

See video here for the problem.

Because the SCC (Solar charge controller) only works in daylight hours, the issue rears its head if I need to top off the batteries after sunset, like at the end of the day running the A/C. I can start the generator and the inverter will charge the batteries. But when I cut off the generator or other external AC charging source (with no DC source), the EG4 Lifepower batteries go into fault mode and the alarm light on the EG4 Lifepower batteries turn on which prevents the EG4 Lifepower batteries from powering on the inverter. The inverter gives a fault reading of "dead batteries" or "low batteries" and fails to power on. Restarting the generator does not fix the problem, as the inverter reads a "dead battery" and will not power up. The EG4 Lifepower4 batteries can not be restarted without disconnecting them from the system to avoid the alarm. You can not connect a hot wire to the system without potential damage. This leaves me completely without power until sunrise when the solar charge controller can power up the inverter.

My original solution was to swap back in the Big Battery and disconnect the EG4 Lifepower which temporarily solved the problem. The next day I reattached the EG4 Lifepower batteries. The system works flawlessly, day and night, unless I disconnect from an AC power source and have no alternative DC power source (i.e night time).

Unfortunately, I need an AC charging source during the summer due to the demand to run my A/C units (air conditioning).

See video here turning on faulted batteries with DC power providing an "electrical bridge" for the faulted EG4 Lifepower4s

My guess is there is something with the EG4 pre charge resistor that is preventing the inverter to kick on. The batteries are charged. The issue has happened at 100% to 40% SOC. So its not a "dead battery"

I have gone through every startup and shutdown procedure that I can think of, but I still get the same error regardless, unless I have a DC charging source. For now, I leave the generator on all night until sunrise when I know I can shut it off without a fault.

My SOLUTION: Added an additional, non-EG4 Lifepower4 battery, that I know will not trip, to bridge the inverters transition from managing the AC loads to using the DC batteries to invert for the AC loads. This should be seemsless. No flickering of lights or shutting off clocks, etc when switching from an AC power source to a DC power source.

See video explaining here:

For some people, I know this may not be a solution. People, rightfully so, expect their expensive purchases to work and not get in a battle with the vendor over fault and costs. This, however, may provide a solution until @SignatureSolarJames, @SignatureSolarUS , @RichardfromEG4 , provides a firmware upgrade to these batteries.

Peace!

Last edited:
If this is a single 100ah battery. The problem is that it's too small for the inverter. When the solar is producing it makes up the difference.

If this is a single 100ah battery. The problem is that it's too small for the inverter. When the solar is producing it makes up the difference.
Its 2 x 24v batteries that are 200AH each. Total of 400AH.

But, lets explore that thought more. Why would a 170AH lithium battery from one brand work, and 200AH battery from another brand not work? What's different about EG4 batteries? The original system even used 6v SLA batteries and they didn't have issues starting the inverter.

Also, after the fault, I am unable to reconnect to an AC power source (restart the generator) to resolve the problem because the inverter reads a "dead battery" and will not power up. So I am left without any power until sunrise when the DC SCC will power on the inverter.

Last edited:
This was my message to Richard. I would be interested in hearing others thoughts.

"Richard, I am wondering if the pre charge resistor in the battery might be causing this issue? When I turn off AC input power the batteries seem to cycle through a pre check, and by this time the inverter is thinking there is no power source. The switch over from AC to DC power should be in milliseconds and not noticeable. Right now it is very noticeable. If I am not using an alternative DC source, like the SCC, then the batteries can't cycle into operation fast enough.

What are your thoughts?"

Are you turning off the breaker on the battery?
The only time that the pre charge cycle happens is immediately after the breaker is turned on.

Are you turning off the breaker on the battery?
The only time that the pre charge cycle happens is immediately after the breaker is turned on.
No, I am not. I simply turn off the AC input source - then the battery fault alarm occurs, the inverter fails to start and gives a "dead battery" error code. There has to be an immediate power overlap from the AC source shutting off to the DC power source starting up. The batteries are already powered on so I am not sure why they shut down.

Definitely odd.
Do you have a clamp meter, to check the battery amps flowing?

Ok, Richard asked for a video. So I am going to also post it here to show EXACTLY what's going on.

Just for clarification. This is an RV. It requires both AC and DC power source to be fully functional, unlike a house.

The AC power source is simply a 20amp power cord connection at the "shore" power inlet. It doesn't matter what the shore power is, 50Amp pedestal, 20Amp power cord, generator, etc. All result in this same fault.

Last edited:
And this is what happens when you turn the DC power on when the EG4 batteries are faulted.

After resetting the battery breakers the system works as it is supposed to.

Last edited:
Ok, Richard asked for a video. So I am going to also post it here to show EXACTLY what's going on.

Just for clarification. This is an RV. It requires both AC and DC power source to be fully functional, unlike a house.

The AC power source is simply a 20amp power cord connection at the "shore" power inlet. It doesn't matter what the shore power is, 50Amp pedestal, 20Amp power cord, generator, etc. All result in this same fault.
Are you putting the server rack batteries in a rv?

I'm sorry but that is healla jank. On top of that you have them mounted vertically, they should have been at least been flat on the ground. It think you are going to end up posting here about short circuit kaboom with cells rubbing with the case.

I'm sorry but these are stationary units not meant to be hauled around in a rolling earthquake, aka trailer/rv.

I noticed that one went into error (the back one), then the other followed a couple of seconds later.

Those wires are pretty small. Looks like #6, possibly a voltage drop issue.

You seem to be experiencing the same thing i went through. Three other types of batteries worked perfectly to fire up my schneider 6848 inverter- discover lithium, sok lithium and good ole lead acid. Very frustrating to say the least. Signature was unable to fix the issue with the lifepower batteries in my case and it was a complete waste of two months of my time. In a thread i started here to get help, it took them 6 months to answer this simple question- What initiates the pre-charge function in the lifepower batteries?

They did exchange my batteries for the ll model that has no pre-charge issues as far as i know. It only happened because i kept suggesting we at least try it to see if the problem was just with the lifepower batteries or a larger issue.

The problem is in the bms and pre-charge function. There seems to be no fix, other than the supplemental dc source workaround you used. I had to do the same thing. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

The problem seems to be more prevalent with the larger inverters that have a large capacitor bank to charge.

Are you putting the server rack batteries in a rv?

I'm sorry but that is healla jank. On top of that you have them mounted vertically, they should have been at least been flat on the ground. It think you are going to end up posting here about short circuit kaboom with cells rubbing with the case.

I'm sorry but these are stationary units not meant to be hauled around in a rolling earthquake, aka trailer/rv.
The RV is stationary. Its my home. Don't apologize for being hella judgmental!

You can safely mount lithium batteries in most any orientation.

Last edited:
Very strange
What model inverter do you have?
(Sorry, if you already stated this)

Those wires are pretty small. Looks like #6, possibly a voltage drop issue.
The battery to battery terminal connection is what was provided by SS. They are not heating up. Ironically, The previous lithium batteries also used 6gauge wire and I had no issues with them.

Back