diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 Lifepower4 battery is ticking on start

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's difficult is my batteries work perfectly. Off camera is connected it without precharge multiple times to growatt inverter and an lv5048, and they never tripped. I also have the 24V model. When I did use the precharge resistor circuit, it just worked. So I'm kind of scared to update ?
Yeah I get it. Without the Precharge resistor the BMS may take a hammering on startup. And yes just like when you asked me to pull my system down, I know that it is a royal pain to mess around with a perfectly working system to make a test.

BTW is the 24V one being used for anything?

Sorry for being the downer but it is not clear why even one of the issue is due to an inadequate pre-charge circuitry. Is the inverter input not making it to 48V or is the surge current tripping something in the BMS that is below the advertised 100A?

What's difficult is my batteries work perfectly. Off camera is connected it without precharge multiple times to growatt inverter and an lv5048, and they never tripped. I also have the 24V model. When I did use the precharge resistor circuit, it just worked. So I'm kind of scared to update ?
Same here.
A single battery always started fine with my 5k Growatt. "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it " lol

Yeah I get it. Without the Precharge resistor the BMS may take a hammering on startup. And yes just like when you asked me to pull my system down, I know that it is a royal pain to mess around with a perfectly working system to make a test.

BTW is the 24V one being used for anything?
Right now the 24V unit is not being used for anything. I personally despise 24V.

And yeah pulling stuff apart is tough but it's hard for me to complain about something unless I have solid evidence. It's tough but they will fix things if we have video proof or capacity test results.

And yeah good point about startup. Probably a good idea to have it used as it was intended to be used. It is a good design, but seems the software is problematic.

Sorry for being the downer but it is not clear why even one of the issue is due to an inadequate pre-charge circuitry. Is the inverter input not making it to 48V or is the surge current tripping something in the BMS that is below the advertised 100A?
The inrush trips the BMS over current protection. It could be that the precharge duration is too short, and the caps are not getting fully charged. Or the precharge isn't working at all. Hard to say without evidence.

The inrush trips the BMS over current protection. It could be that the precharge duration is too short, and the caps are not getting fully charged. Or the precharge isn't working at all. Hard to say without evidence.
That is most likely the scenario but I have not seen the evidence to support that as well. Could someone just put a multimeter on the input and see what the voltage rises to?

It would also be good for Richard to detail what they found as the reason and what they changed in firmware to address the issue.

All potential issues that Signature never addressed or even mentioned in their video. In fact, all they really do is place blame on people who have undersized their battery to their inverter. I understand that's a real problem and something to think about. However, one discover lithium, one SOK, one LL model all started my inverter with no issue where the lifepower failed so that certainly wasn't the issue in my case. That video is little more than a red herring imo.

And again, at 8:50 in the video, richard says "the single battery that we updated that was failing earlier". What does that mean? They never discuss that at all and it's the most relevant piece of information they can offer.

I'm gonna laugh my ass off if we find that the firmware update that "puts them leaps and bounds ahead of their competitors" and "puts them square in the lead of resistive capacitance" is simply disabling their pre-charge resistor. :ROFLMAO:

I guess they could clear all this up by offering details but they appear to have gone radio silent on the forum.

Last edited:
That is most likely the scenario but I have not seen the evidence to support that as well. Could someone just put a multimeter on the input and see what the voltage rises to?

It would also be good for Richard to detail what they found as the reason and what they changed in firmware to address the issue.
One observation i was able to make while dealing with this issue was to measure the voltage at turn on. The voltage immediately dropped from 52.9 to the mid thirties and hovered there for about 3 or 4 seconds before the battery would go into alarm mode. This happened every time, no matter what turn on procedure i used.

One observation i was able to make while dealing with this issue was to measure the voltage at turn on. The voltage immediately dropped from 52.9 to the mid thirties and hovered there for about 3 or 4 seconds before the battery would go into alarm mode. This happened every time, no matter what turn on procedure i used.
Very interesting. Seems like precharge worked to get voltage at inverter up to battery voltage but then when turning on, either the precharge did not turn off and current is still going through 10ohm resistor, dropping the voltage or some current limiter or fet is partially turned on and causing a high voltage drop. I’m wondering if you had a clamp meter to measure the current during those 3-4 seconds when the voltage dropped to 3x V.

Very interesting. Seems like precharge worked to get voltage at inverter up to battery voltage but then when turning on, either the precharge did not turn off and current is still going through 10ohm resistor, dropping the voltage or some current limiter or fet is partially turned on and causing a high voltage drop. I’m wondering if you had a clamp meter to measure the current during those 3-4 seconds when the voltage dropped to 3x V.
That's exactly what was proposed by several smart members here. Essentially the pre-charge duration was too long and that caused the voltage drop, which put the inverter into a low voltage state (i set lvco as low as inverter would allow) and the battery going into alarm.

You really need an Oscilloscope on a slow sweep to see what is happening. I have the scope I just don't have an EG4 Lifepower battery.

In
You really need an Oscilloscope on a slow sweep to see what is happening. I have the scope I just don't have an EG4 Lifepower battery.
have a scope and everything but I would need a constant current sink of like 1A and if the resistor is 10ohms, I should see a 10V drop for a period before the precharge resistor is turned off. The buzzing sound looks like activation and deactivation which I can’t explain what is happening there.

In

have a scope and everything but I would need a constant current sink of like 1A and if the resistor is 10ohms, I should see a 10V drop for a period before the precharge resistor is turned off. The buzzing sound looks like activation and deactivation which I can’t explain what is happening there.
Just put it across the terminals at the battery or Inverter and set it for a 2 second/Div Sweep and the Voltage to 10V Division. You should see a slow rise up of the voltage and then something will happen that indicates what the problem is. I suspect it will reach maybe 30V and then quickly jump up to 52V when the BMS engages.
If your inverter is just clicking away then it might rise up to 30V or some lower Voltage and then just start to slowly drop because the BMS is not engaging.

Last edited:
Just put it across the terminals at the battery or Inverter and set it for a 2 second/Div Sweep and the Voltage to 10V Division. You should see a slow rise up of the voltage and then something will happen that indicates what the problem is. I suspect it will reach maybe 30V and then quickly jump up to 52V when the BMS engages.
If your inverter is just clicking away then it might rise up to 30V or some Voltage and then just start to slowly drop because the BMS is not engaging.
Yes, someone with a problem should do this. I don’t have an issue but maybe I would like to see what the clicking is all about.

Eg4 Lifepower4 battery is ticking on start​

The battery BMS is being affected without the pre-charge procedure? I thought it's the inverter that should be protected so pre-charge is needed?

Or I am just being confused after 18+ pages :ROFLMAO:

The battery BMS is being affected without the pre-charge procedure? I thought it's the inverter that should be protected so pre-charge is needed?

Or I am just being confused after 18+ pages :ROFLMAO:
Pre-charge function is for the battery. To save it from the surge of charging the capacitor in the inverter.

I joined this forum after hearing Will talk about the issues with Signature Solar. I had a similar problem with the EG4 48v 100ah waterproof batteries. Issues with the BMS incorrectly reporting SOC, random shutdowns. Each time I called SS I was promised a response. Never happened. I would follow up with SS asking me to do some extensive testing. Sent a 2 page email with results, never heard back. I now see they no longer carry these batteries. Seems like their MO is to ignore until you go away. Ya advertise US based support.........does no good if they ignore. It is easy to get a sea container of cheap stuff from China and sell it in the US, they have definitely failed on the support and warranty side. I for one will never buy from Signature again. Same reasons I see here.

I joined this forum after hearing Will talk about the issues with Signature Solar. I had a similar problem with the EG4 48v 100ah waterproof batteries. Issues with the BMS incorrectly reporting SOC, random shutdowns. Each time I called SS I was promised a response. Never happened. I would follow up with SS asking me to do some extensive testing. Sent a 2 page email with results, never heard back. I now see they no longer carry these batteries. Seems like their MO is to ignore until you go away. Ya advertise US based support.........does no good if they ignore. It is easy to get a sea container of cheap stuff from China and sell it in the US, they have definitely failed on the support and warranty side. I for one will never buy from Signature again. Same reasons I see here.
Can you post the email thread here?

Hi Will,
There is no email chain as they never emailed after a couple of promises. I had to chase them down on the phone after not hearing back and the email is just me sending the data they had requested. I had to drain and fully charge 10.5kw of batteries twice and report results while monitoring. One thing to not reply, another to ask a customer to do somewhat extensive troubleshooting and never hear back. .

End result I am stuck with two 48vs in parallel that cannot report SOC correctly. Right now both are fully charged, one reports 84% and the other 92%. Also one cuts into "protect mode" every once and awhile and goes silent on Bluetooth a lot more than it should. .

Hi Will,
There is no email chain as they never emailed after a couple of promises. I had to chase them down on the phone after not hearing back and the email is just me sending the data they had requested. I had to drain and fully charge 10.5kw of batteries twice and report results while monitoring. One thing to not reply, another to ask a customer to do somewhat extensive troubleshooting and never hear back. .

End result I am stuck with two 48vs in parallel that cannot report SOC correctly. Right now both are fully charged, one reports 84% and the other 92%. Also one cuts into "protect mode" every once and awhile and goes silent on Bluetooth a lot more than it should. .
What voltages are you charging them at and what kind of measurements are you getting on the Individual cells?
I am assuming the Bluetooth software shows the cell info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back