diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 Lifepower4 battery is ticking on start

Status
Not open for further replies.
What voltages are you charging them at and what kind of measurements are you getting on the Individual cells?
I am assuming the Bluetooth software shows the cell info?
Thanks for the reply Robby,
Not really looking to troubleshoot, nor hijack this thread. I am done trying to figure out the problem and just accept the issues, until I upgrade and find a replacement. I will say, that the issues stem from the Bluetooth interface and the random shutdowns - nothing that charge voltage or cell voltage would take part in (at least my assumption).

may be @sten can help with that. Don't want to put you under the spotlight, but you showed the issue without pre-charge on post #77 (https://diysolarforum.com/threads/eg4-lifepower4-battery-is-ticking-on-start.41681/post-561109). If you still have the inverter, it'll be much appreciated if you do the precharge process (take one for the team)

Will, my conclusion is the some or many of the basic version of SG battery is unable to handle any kind of quick Increase (Not INRUSH) current. So to precharge or to run a hot water kittle, the BMS ticks
Sorry i just saw this message now... I have the faulty inverter still but got a new inverter today and my issue was fixed. :)

Sorry i just saw this message now... I have the faulty inverter still but got a new inverter today and my issue was fixed. :)
The battery ticking was due to a bad inverter? What was it trying to do? ?

Good question
The battery ticking was due to a bad inverter? What was it trying to do? ?
Good question... I think the BMS ticks anyways but it was being extreme as it was having some sort of troubles when it was hooked up to the inverter. FWIW my inverter had continuity between +/- which makes sense that there was the alarm preventing the short. Next question would indeed be why?

Maybe we have a similar problem! I read this thread all the way back, Thanks for sharing! On Tuesday evening lightning may or may not have fried my 3 Growatt 5000 es. They charge 6 pack of EG4-LL, got 42 each 390 watt panels divided in 3 all bought from Signature Solar last July 2021. Trouble shooting the "09" error code lead me to "return to repair center. Sig Sol told me they could not repair or even recommend repair shop, Tech told me to call Growatt. Not good service, reluctantly we called it act of God and will attempt to get comped by Home insurance. Now comes the current issue. I drove to Signature Solar's compound in Tx 3 hrs from home and purchased three new Growatt 5000 es , installed them on Thursday, exact same wiring, location etc, yes i tested all wires and cables first. System came up as normal but went down with no error codes or anything. Batteries will not power on, they click then change to "Protected" status with no DC out. I attempted to isolate problems but have read at least 3 error codes on brand new inverters; #19, #80 , and # 4. Please note, this is not a "hobby" this is our off-grid power source, I will not disassemble any components or or add any resistors yet, it worked before and should again??? When i disconnect the battery bank, the batteries themselves powers up fine, plug back into inverters and it clicks 3-4 times and goes into protected mode. Please forgive if I cannot describe all these issues clearly with muh CAVE MAN grammer! Basically new inverters not working and Signature Solar cares not about it. Not the first time I have had to take several days to attempt to speak to Signature Solar's techs.

Maybe we have a similar problem! I read this thread all the way back, Thanks for sharing! On Tuesday evening lightning may or may not have fried my 3 Growatt 5000 es. They charge 6 pack of EG4-LL, got 42 each 390 watt panels divided in 3 all bought from Signature Solar last July 2021. Trouble shooting the "09" error code lead me to "return to repair center. Sig Sol told me they could not repair or even recommend repair shop, Tech told me to call Growatt. Not good service, reluctantly we called it act of God and will attempt to get comped by Home insurance. Now comes the current issue. I drove to Signature Solar's compound in Tx 3 hrs from home and purchased three new Growatt 5000 es , installed them on Thursday, exact same wiring, location etc, yes i tested all wires and cables first. System came up as normal but went down with no error codes or anything. Batteries will not power on, they click then change to "Protected" status with no DC out. I attempted to isolate problems but have read at least 3 error codes on brand new inverters; #19, #80 , and # 4. Please note, this is not a "hobby" this is our off-grid power source, I will not disassemble any components or or add any resistors yet, it worked before and should again??? When i disconnect the battery bank, the batteries themselves powers up fine, plug back into inverters and it clicks 3-4 times and goes into protected mode. Please forgive if I cannot describe all these issues clearly with muh CAVE MAN grammer! Basically new inverters not working and Signature Solar cares not about it. Not the first time I have had to take several days to attempt to speak to Signature Solar's techs.
Have u gone thru the firmware update process on the batteries?

We are actively troubleshooting your issue. After a lightning strike, there are many components that were potentially damaged. I know we originally spoke with you this morning and also have a tech on the phone with you as you make these posts. I have recommended to our technician that we try the firmware update, but we will need to get you the cable to do so. I understand completely the frustration, but unfortunately we are doing everything we possibly can to take care of this as quickly as possible. From the moment you reached out to Brian at 10:54am I have been trying to find a solution for you guys and see what could still be keeping you off-line. In the event that we need to get you the cable to flash the new firmware I will make sure we get it in your hands as quickly as possible. In regard to the firmware link, you need the appropriate cable to make it work. I will stay in contact with Peyton to make sure your situation is resolved.

Please note, this is not a "hobby" this is our off-grid power source, I will not disassemble any components or or add any resistors yet, it worked before and should again???
This sentence is hilarious, it's like he's drunk and doesn't understand it got hit by lightning and admitted that fact in the previous lack-of-a-paragraph.

This sentence is hilarious, it's like he's drunk and doesn't understand it got hit by lightning and admitted that fact in the previous lack-of-a-paragraph.
" Maybe we have a similar problem! I read this thread all the way back, Thanks for sharing! On Tuesday evening lightning may or may not have fried my 3 Growatt 5000 es. ... ".

Almost as funny as the "tech" from signature solar recommending they try the firmware update and then two minutes later saying it's not going to be firmware update related.
I have recommended to our technician that we try the firmware update, but we will need to get you the cable to do so.

They are the LL batteries. It won't be the firmware.
There's that famous tactical, tiered tech support team! Laughable

Didn't have all the information at the time. Once we found out the batteries were LL that was no longer an option.

We resolved this issue and are going to get him a working solution. Just like we did with Sten. And hundreds of other issues ranging from large to small week in and week out. I'm sorry for whatever bad experience you had in the past that resulted in you feeling the need to jump on every single thread that involves Signature Solar and be as negative as possible. We have a team of 6 technicians that deal with upwards of 200 calls and 100 emails every day. I'm sorry you had an issue that wasn't resolved in the past, but I wasn't here then so I have no idea what it was and neither were the majority of the other people that currently work in Tech. We get better every single day. Like Will alludes to many times, we sell 10x more equipment than most of the other companies in the industry so naturally equipment failure happens. We, just like all the other companies out there, are continuing to grow our team and knowledge base daily. I see you constantly bash and bad mouth us and our owner, but if you took a minute to step back and look, why do you think our prices are lower than everyone else in the industry? It's not because we use cheaper products, it's because our owner's philosophy is the proliferation of solar for everyone. For every person that's on this forum that had a less than perfect experience with Signature Solar, there are HUNDREDS of people out there enjoying working systems that don't feel the need to get on every post and leave their opinion. It is unfortunate that you had a bad experience and still have an axe to grind with us.

Didn't have all the information at the time. Once we found out the batteries were LL that was no longer an option.

We resolved this issue and are going to get him a working solution. Just like we did with Sten. And hundreds of other issues ranging from large to small week in and week out. I'm sorry for whatever bad experience you had in the past that resulted in you feeling the need to jump on every single thread that involves Signature Solar and be as negative as possible. We have a team of 6 technicians that deal with upwards of 200 calls and 100 emails every day. I'm sorry you had an issue that wasn't resolved in the past, but I wasn't here then so I have no idea what it was and neither were the majority of the other people that currently work in Tech. We get better every single day. Like Will alludes to many times, we sell 10x more equipment than most of the other companies in the industry so naturally equipment failure happens. We, just like all the other companies out there, are continuing to grow our team and knowledge base daily. I see you constantly bash and bad mouth us and our owner, but if you took a minute to step back and look, why do you think our prices are lower than everyone else in the industry? It's not because we use cheaper products, it's because our owner's philosophy is the proliferation of solar for everyone. For every person that's on this forum that had a less than perfect experience with Signature Solar, there are HUNDREDS of people out there enjoying working systems that don't feel the need to get on every post and leave their opinion. It is unfortunate that you had a bad experience and still have an axe to grind with us.
Same old, tired answers. New guy.

Believe me, i could be a lot more critical and jump on a lot more threads about your company's poor customer service. One seems to pop up a nearly daily basis. I keep things in my wheelhouse and really only respond to the battery related complaints. I don't have the time or desire to respond to all the other issues your eg4/growatt products have reported here.

How you guys are still so bad at resolving problems it's amazing. You still can't even return phone calls in a timely manner. Same issues, different day.

You obviously have no idea what i went through with your company. I never got as much as a "really sorry, what can we do to make it right?"

Maybe if your owner hadn't personally insulted me on the phone and in the forum i wouldn't be quite as vocal. I'd love to see him talk to me face to face like that. Wouldn't happen and he and Richard knows it.

And regarding my post that you just had to respond to, maybe one of the first questions you should ask a customer is what battery model the customer has? Could have saved you and the customer time had you known from the start they were the LL model and the firmware update suggestion YOU made wouldn't change anything. But hey, you guys do it however you want.

There are very few issues that we aren't able to resolve in the field. I don't really intend to get into a back and forth with you, but I do know that you currently have a system being powered by our batteries. How are they doing? We still use the batteries that you originally said were broken in the tech bench to perform bench testing.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get spoken to like you felt you deserved. I bet that happens a lot.

I don't know what was said, but you seem really tough so I'll hold my comment there.

And you're absolutely right on this one. I jumped the gun and responded based on info on the thread rather than what was happening in real time with our technician. I should have known better than to troubleshoot based on speculation on the forums rather than waiting on the real time data. I won't make that mistake again, thank you for enlightening me.

I hope you have a good weekend. We are off until Monday, so we will try not to trigger you between now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back