diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 Lifepower4 battery is ticking on start

Status
Not open for further replies.
@carefulmistake Im currently working with @RichardfromEG4 to come up with a solution. I would suggest you PM him so he has another reference of the issue.

Same setup as mine?

1 - eg4 6.5K inverter
1 - eg4 lifepower4 battery?
If it was not for your previous successful day of running the inverter/battery combo, I'd have to ask about only one LiFePower4 being able to start the inverter. It has been reported elsewhere on this forum that one of the basic eg4 can have issues starting larger inverters. The bms sees a short.
Am I thinking correctly that some with one basic eg4 battery have had to supplement with pv power to be successful in getting things up and running? You may find useful information in one of the eg4 threads found in the Beginner Friendly "Plug-n-Play" Lithium Batteries

If it was not for your previous successful day of running the inverter/battery combo, I'd have to ask about only one LiFePower4 being able to start the inverter. It has been reported elsewhere on this forum that one of the basic eg4 can have issues starting larger inverters. The bms sees a short.
Am I thinking correctly that some with one basic eg4 battery have had to supplement with pv power to be successful in getting things up and running? You may find useful information in one of the eg4 threads found in the Beginner Friendly "Plug-n-Play" Lithium Batteries
Ive tried with grid AC and also with PV and the results are consistently the same alarm, but yeah after 1 day of everything running well.

I have 2 6500 ex48 units and 4 eg4 Batts. Mine will throw that fault if I flip the 200 amp main battery breaker to either unit on while all 4 batts are on.
If I turn the batteries off individually, then turn on the main battery breaker, then turn on the batteries one at a time starting with the master battery it works fine .

I have 2 6500 ex48 units and 4 eg4 Batts. Mine will throw that fault if I flip the 200 amp main battery breaker to either unit on while all 4 batts are on.
If I turn the batteries off individually, then turn on the main battery breaker, then turn on the batteries one at a time starting with the master battery it works fine .
Is there any explanation as to why this works better? Logically I would expect the higher capacity to make it easier to start the inverter, but I guess the built-in pre-charge resistors don't all operate at the exact same time so you get a cascading overload...

In other threads, it is speculated there is some issue with the bms. One poster replaced the oem eg4 bms with an aftermarket bms and the problem was resolved.

In other threads, it is speculated there is some issue with the bms. One poster replaced the oem eg4 bms with an aftermarket bms and the problem was resolved.
Prob no good for the warrant tho

Prob no good for the warrant tho
Sten, I was able to over come the battery alarm by waiting until my PV was generating >150W (midmorning). It wouldn't work with 15W. Then I turned on the batteries and they started without the alarm or the ticking noise. When the batteries started, my inverter powered on.

Once I figured that out, the next problem was being able to do that at night (no PV at night). When I would shut off my generator with no load on the inverter, it would cause the alarm on the batteries. So my solution was to add a third party lifepo4 battery in parallel with the eg4s. That fixed the problem.

I am working with Richard to get the BMS updated for a fix, and I am considering buying an LL for the third battery so they are matched properly with bms communication.

So I ordered 2 eg4 200 ah 24v, delivered yesterday, decided to try one stand-alone, same exact problem, ticking noise! This battery is replacing an existing 24v system with Victron charger and inverter. Tried to power up the system with the inverter disconnected, still same ticking noise!

So I ordered 2 eg4 200 ah 24v, delivered yesterday, decided to try one stand-alone, same exact problem, ticking noise! This battery is replacing an existing 24v system with Victron charger and inverter. Tried to power up the system with the inverter disconnected, still same ticking noise!
I'm still in the same broken state, but I'm trying to work with @RichardFromEG4 / signature solar to fix it.

OH NO!!, seems i'm going to return, this post has been open for over a month!! I'm going to do a quick test today to isolate the problem and confirm my suspicion. Guess it's a mismatch BMS wiring or the BMS it self when there's any load applied. P.S. I tried using a resistor yesterday to the inverter while the inverter os off that ticking disappeared, then once i turned on the Victron 5K, ticking started again. @RichardFromEG4 if you see this today, DM me before i go with the return process tomorrow or so.

One thing i'll try today is connect the second EG4 battery standalone (i bought 2) instead of the one i used yesterday.

P.S. reverted to the old tesla battery been using for 3 years now and worked like a breeze.

Last edited:
Same problem each of us is having. You should be able to couple your old battery with the new ones to also fix the problem, if they are the same voltage.

That's what I am doing.

Same problem each of us is having. You should be able to couple your old battery with the new ones to also fix the problem, if they are the same voltage.

That's what I am doing.
it's a tesla battery, nominal 22.8v

So i tried the second battery, and faced the same exact problem, i even tried using a resistance to pre-charge the capacitor on the Victron inverter, but once the contractors clicks, the battery ticks then disconnects. I'm surprised about the about of leeway we are giving this battery instead of it's not a rocket science. This battery should power the inverter standalone period. Unless i'm proven otherwise, and after extensive testing i've done today, The batch of BMS on these batteries is junk, there's no ifs, ands, or buts.
here's the recording of turning on the battery, the ticking is at marker 0:15

Excuse the mess!

I had this same ticking problem once when I shut off the battery breaker from my sol-ark (not under load). I ended up having to shut down the sol-ark and batteries, then turn on the batteries, then the sol-ark. Everything has been fine since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back