diy solar

diy solar

EG4-LIFEPower4 is NOT UL listed

Trixs

Good Evening,

I am attempting to find server rack batteries that are listed to meet NEC 2020 listing requirements as it relates to batteries for my solar system. I was considering EG4-LIFEPower4 but apparently it is not UL listed per signaturesolar customer service and the UL database. It is however UL certified as a component. My understanding is that the battery is also not labled with the UL mark as it is only certified.

End of the day I dnot want to waste money on something I cant use to pass an inspection. Has anyoen had any problems passing with these batteries? Also does anyone know if the SOK battery is listed or certified? Waiting on there customer support to asnwer that question....

I am really tempted to just buy a few lead acid batteries, pass inspection, and promptly return them.

Good Evening,

I am attempting to find server rack batteries that are listed to meet NEC 2020 listing requirements as it relates to batteries for my solar system. I was considering EG4-LIFEPower4 but apparently it is not UL listed per signaturesolar customer service and the UL database. It is however UL certified as a component. My understanding is that the battery is also not labled with the UL mark as it is only certified.

End of the day I dnot want to waste money on something I cant use to pass an inspection. Has anyoen had any problems passing with these batteries? Also does anyone know if the SOK battery is listed or certified? Waiting on there customer support to asnwer that question....

I am really tempted to just buy a few lead acid batteries, pass inspection, and promptly return them.

You need a UL9540A listed battery ( which is by definition is paired with a similarly listed inverter, it is a one to one listing )

You will be looking at companies like BYD, Soluna, Pylontech, Fortress and LG.

Check the data sheets on your inverter, they should list what batteries they are listed with.

It is a VERY expensive process for the manufactures and long time frames.

Also does anyone know if the SOK battery is listed or certified? Waiting on there customer support to asnwer that question....
The SOK is certified to UL1973 standards by Intertek laboratories

You need a UL9540A listed battery ( which is by definition is paired with a similarly listed inverter, it is a one to one listing )

You will be looking at companies like BYD, Soluna, Pylontech, Fortress and LG.

Check the data sheets on your inverter, they should list what batteries they are listed with.

It is a VERY expensive process for the manufactures and long time frames.

I have an Outback Radian which I don't think is UL9540 listed either. Actually trying to find any combination as required is very difficult and absurdly expensive. I guess NEC 2020 is grand way to kill solar in the USA. Im waiting on the local inspector and hopefully I can get some clarification on batteries. If i dotn like the asnwers I am just giong to buy a bunch of cheap as I can find lead acid batteries, install them for inspectino, and promptly dispose of them. The question is how many... 12kw array.

Does anyone have a clear understanding of the difference between a battery and ESS as defined by the NEC? If I take a dozen lead acid batteries and make a bank does that suddenly become an ESS? Same thing for any given chemistry.

Here is the UL certificate of compliance for the Lifepower4 Battery. Could you let me know which Customer Service agent you spoke with so I can make sure they have the most up to date information? @Trixs

Attachments

• MH65558-vol1-MLCertificateofCompliance-MH65889.docx.pdf
    886.4 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Well, that's not just right. In other words, you are renting them, and then leaving me to buy your returns unknowingly, or raising prices for us all. Thanks.

Check with your AHJ. Where I live they have not adopted NEC 2020 for batteries yet.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the lead-acid exemption is for NEC 2017, not NEC 2020, in which the exemption added in NEC 2017 was removed from Section 706.5 in NEC 2020. So I don't think you can pass inspection anymore with lead-acid batteries under NEC 2020.

But you may be able to pass inspection with NO batteries, as there is no requirement to have ANY batteries, even if your inverter requires them to function, because they could be provided in a portable manner.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the lead-acid exemption is for NEC 2017, not NEC 2020, in which the exemption added in NEC 2017 was removed from Section 706.5 in NEC 2020. So I don't think you can pass inspection anymore with lead-acid batteries under NEC 2020.

But you may be able to pass inspection with NO batteries, as there is no requirement to have ANY batteries, even if your inverter requires them to function, because they could be provided in a portable manner.
I have been wondering about this.
When we build something the local inspectors get to apply all these expensive to comply with rules.

Yet Alibaba or Amazon will happy sell us some janky non UL listed product we can plug right into the wall and hope we don't burn anything down.

So..I have an idea. Install your solar panels as a fence or something - something where the local authority doesn't require a permit. (or ground mount like Will does it). A small piece of conduit has temporary* solar wires going into the garage, where you have your batteries and your inverters on a temporary cart or sled.

*temporary defined as 1-30 years

Then you use 50-amp RV plugs where you have a 50 amp plug on your main panel, and on a subpanel you have all your house loads, and on that panel you have an interlock kit and then a 50 amp RV inlet.

If you need more than 50 amps, you have parallel sleds and each supplies 50 amps through it's own inlet plug, and some wiring between them.

It might not look as good but it could be built safely. Use hubble plugs and good quality wire, bolt the temporary sled down, use good quality inverters, etc. Do it well and in practice it will be just as good as something that passes inspection.

Here is the UL certificate of compliance for the Lifepower4 Battery. Could you let me know which Customer Service agent you spoke with so I can make sure they have the most up to date information? @Trixs
So when will the rest of the eg4 batteries get ul certs? I'd be interested in the eg4 LL2 24/200ah if it has ul.

So when will the rest of the eg4 batteries get ul certs? I'd be interested in the eg4 LL2 24/200ah if it has ul.
I noticed that the eg4 v2 24v/200ah battery advertisement at: https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-ll-lithium-battery-v2-24v-200ah-server-rack-battery/ states that it is made with "Composed of (16) UL listed prismatic 3.2V cells". Is there anything in official documentation from Signature Solar that indicates what cells these are? I'd like to know, so I can present this as an option to the local inspector to see if they would approve, even under NEC 2020. Thanks

I would think that they are the standard Ganfeng cells that most of the other budget rack mount packs use.

I noticed that the eg4 v2 24v/200ah battery advertisement at: https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-ll-lithium-battery-v2-24v-200ah-server-rack-battery/ states that it is made with "Composed of (16) UL listed prismatic 3.2V cells". Is there anything in official documentation from Signature Solar that indicates what cells these are? I'd like to know, so I can present this as an option to the local inspector to see if they would approve, even under NEC 2020. Thanks
you may want you inspector to be aware of this too :

6768BC2B-EAE5-4126-8DB2-2702B1A05DB6.jpeg

I would think that they are the standard Ganfeng cells that most of the other budget rack mount packs use.
Ganfeng yes. Even Will says that in his teardown video. But nothing in the Spec sheet or manual says that, except for the blurb on the web site, hence my question.

Ganfeng yes. Even Will says that in his teardown video. But nothing in the Spec sheet or manual says that, except for the blurb on the web site, hence my question.
Gangeng is the OEM for EG4 rack mount packs. They use to have pictures of the same packs on their website. I have seen the same EG4LL on Alibaba with different Brand names.
If you buy in quantity they will label them with whatever you request,

Last edited:
you may want you inspector to be aware of this too :

View attachment 135430
Looks like a copy and paste job to me!

Back