diy solar

diy solar

EG4-LifePower4 vs EG4-LL Lithium Battery

Other than the warranty issue - off the top of my head I know the BMS are from different manufacturers but the actual battery cells packs are identical.
Good Evening Richard, I watched your videos regarding the EG4 II Batteries as well as other recent owners who have purchased these from Signature Solar. I went to purchase these from signature Solar today August 5th 2022 and noticed the picture of the 48volt EG4 II doesn't have the
Fuse on the top right. Did the model change or was this an old picture? Please advise as I would like to order these asap. I waited for an hour on hold today from Signature Solar, but no one picked up and they are closed over the weekend.

Good Evening Richard, I watched your videos regarding the EG4 II Batteries as well as other recent owners who have purchased these from Signature Solar. I went to purchase these from signature Solar today August 5th 2022 and noticed the picture of the 48volt EG4 II doesn't have the
Fuse on the top right. Did the model change or was this an old picture? Please advise as I would like to order these asap. I waited for an hour on hold today from Signature Solar, but no one picked up and they are closed over the weekend.
What the Bleeeeep!!!
I saw your post and thought Hmmm what is he smoking and then I go and look and yeah the Circuit Breaker is gone.
I would not be a happy man if I ordered one thinking it had a breaker and then received one without it.

What the Bleeeeep!!!
I saw your post and thought Hmmm what is he smoking and then I go and look and yeah the Circuit Breaker is gone.
I would not be a happy man if I ordered one thinking it had a breaker and then received one without it.
Chinese product .... they often change specs.

Chinese product .... they often change specs.
Change is putting it mildly. They removed the only thing that protects the BMS from a Short circuit!
Unless they put in an internal class T Fuse the BMS is going to be the first thing to fry if anything goes wrong.

Everything charges just fine, no alarms. Two times over 3-4 months I've had the inverters randomly switch over to grid power to supply loads when the battery SOC was well above the set point where they should switch over (ie battery SOC at 80-90% and the inverter starting pulling grid power instead of running the batteries down to the 25% SOC set point). Both times this happened the inverters switched back to battery power on their own once the batteries were fully charged again. Not sure why this happened a few times and no one else seems to have any ideas either but since it happens so infrequently I am not too concerned. If it does start to happen more often I will simply switch off grid input to the inverters. Very rarely do I need grid input and when I do I could switch the breakers back on.
Seems that issue is happening quite a bit, happened to me, and is around if you search for it. I don't have the smart batteries, just some dumb LiPo4 100ah hooked up in series parallel 4s2p 48v setup, and a Victron SmartShunt, to monitor their SOC, since the Growatt don't have a built in shunt and can't monitor dumb batteries, this is coming from the seller and manufacturer. Although the Growatt shut down when the battery bank voltage reaches the low voltage shutoff as per the Growatt settings, so how is that happening without a built in shunt and or communications with the batteries, don't have a clue. Comments? Some say they do communicate with dumb batteries, but how? But the Growatt on occasions will start drawing from the grid even though I got it setup to charge from solar only, then after a few minutes it switches back to solar or if I'm using the solar for the other system it just sits there and starts drawing from the batteries which is what want.

We actually are putting out a guide to allow EG4-LL and EG4-Lifepower4 batteries to communicate.
Was this guide released? If no, any ETA?

Would really like to use an EG4-LL ver2 to connect to SolArk over CANBUS, and the rest of batteries be EG4-LifePower 4 for lower cost.

Thank you so much,
Radu

Was this guide released? If no, any ETA?

Would really like to use an EG4-LL ver2 to connect to SolArk over CANBUS, and the rest of batteries be EG4-LifePower 4 for lower cost.

Thank you so much,
Radu
Lifepower4 will have the display with this feature, expected release is december, around $100 with the solark adapter

Lifepower4 will have the display with this feature, expected release is december, around $100 with the solark adapter
I apologize, I did not understand the response :(

What I am trying to do is use EG4 batteries with the Sol-Ark 15k. But only the LL version allows communication with Sol-Ark. So I was wondering if I could daisy-chain through RS485 1 x EG4-LL with 5 x EG4-LifePower4 then connect the LL to the Sol-Ark through CANBUS. Is that possible?

Are you saying there will be a $100 adapter available in December which would allow the EG4-LifePower RS485 to be connected to Sol-Ark?

Thank you so much,
Radu

I apologize, I did not understand the response :(

What I am trying to do is use EG4 batteries with the Sol-Ark 15k. But only the LL version allows communication with Sol-Ark. So I was wondering if I could daisy-chain through RS485 1 x EG4-LL with 5 x EG4-LifePower4 then connect the LL to the Sol-Ark through CANBUS. Is that possible?

Are you saying there will be a $100 adapter available in December which would allow the EG4-LifePower RS485 to be connected to Sol-Ark?

Thank you so much,
Radu
you got it, I would using only one line of batteries, we are absolutely offering the combox even at a loss if needed to people this year or January at the latest

Last edited:
you got it, I would using only one line of batteries, we are absolutely offering the combox even at a loss if needed to people this year or January at the latest
Will then buy just 6 x LifePower4 batteries (instead of having 1 x LL + 5 x LifePower4), and wait for the converter to be availble to make them talk to the SolArk. Thanks a lot!

perfect
we have a promo now I think for that
Hey James,

Was thinking to get 6 LIfepower 4s. and AC couple to my current setup. Can you confirm what would be the max Amps that could be pulled from it as my current fortress battery can pull 180AMPS all day and hoping the cabinet of EG4 lifepower would be able to achieve that.

Hey James,

Was thinking to get 6 LIfepower 4s. and AC couple to my current setup. Can you confirm what would be the max Amps that could be pulled from it as my current fortress battery can pull 180AMPS all day and hoping the cabinet of EG4 lifepower would be able to achieve that.
they do 100A each pack, so 600A, you'll have no issue LOL

they do 100A each pack, so 600A, you'll have no issue LOL
James,

The spec sheet on the lifepower4 recommends 30a continuous draw only per unit, so that is 1440 watts at 48v. Is the EG4LL have the same limitation or is the bms designed to deal with higher concurrent loads? The spec sheet on the EG4LL v2 does not show a recommended continuous draw recommendation, only max ratings.

James,

The spec sheet on the lifepower4 recommends 30a continuous draw only per unit, so that is 1440 watts at 48v. Is the EG4LL have the same limitation or is the bms designed to deal with higher concurrent loads? The spec sheet on the EG4LL v2 does not show a recommended continuous draw recommendation, only max ratings.
the recommendation is for max lifespan, it does 100A continuous as long as you have juice in the tank.
all lithium is benefited from discharge rates under 40% per hour

Back