diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 light bar showing faint red

rcf130

Anyone have experience with their light bar showing a faint red glow? I have two in split phase and one light bar works as it should. The other goes red. There’s no faults or errors. Signature Solar said it’s just the way it is, and nothing is “defective” just cosmetic. The weird part is, when it’s in single phase, the light bar seems to work. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 909E17E4-EC2B-4D8B-BDE8-DDA8C9E63DE0.jpeg
    909E17E4-EC2B-4D8B-BDE8-DDA8C9E63DE0.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 10
It’s set to default. Never changed that option.
Ok, the default would be “on” and you would know because the inverter would beep with every button press.

I miss read the manual anyways. I was looking at page 59 and it talked about a constant buzzer with a red LED turned on. I think it was talking about the red “fault” LED on the display, not the red RGB bar.

I actually don’t see any reference to a red RGB color though.

I've seen that when it's trying to start in solar only mode and there's not enough power to start the inverter. But, you've said there's nothing wrong, so I don't know what's going on with yours.

Option 51 is set to LEN.. which should be on. When I change it to LDS it doesn’t go off, similar to what mountkay mentioned. It’s like options mean nothing.

Hmm.

Not sure if it’s possible or not, but I would double check all the connections are the correct orientation and tight from the front panel (since you typically have to disconnect the 3 sets of wires when you open up the front panel on the inverter).

Option 51 is set to LEN.. which should be on. When I change it to LDS it doesn’t go off, similar to what mountkay mentioned.
My were always set to Disable because I’m off grid and it’s winter and I didn’t want to use the energy to run them.
I didn’t ever try to turn them on until just now. They don’t turn on. My other settings were Lo-Lo-Breath-CO1. Tried changing them to Hi-Hi-Solid-CO1. And then to all defaults - Normal-Normal-Solid-CO1. No change at all. Stayed faint red. That’s too bad. I was looking forward to enjoying them in the summer.

How old are your inverters? Have they done that since day one?
One of my inverters was ordered Aug 22. Sticker on it says 7/22. Old black terminals.
The other was ordered Nov 22. Sticker says 9/22. New grey terminals.
What about yours?

I’m pretty sure both of mine have always done this. At least I have never noticed them do anything else.

I thought this was just the default when the RGB LED was disabled. What happens if you disable the one that works? It’s just completely off? No faint red?

Signature Solar said it’s just the way it is,
That’s strange, I don’t know why they would have the settings for it then. And no disclaimer about how it couldn’t be used in Split Phase or something. Or why one of yours works in split phase but the other doesn’t.

My were always set to Disable because I’m off grid and it’s winter and I didn’t want to use the energy to run them.
I didn’t ever try to turn them on until just now. They don’t turn on. My other settings were Lo-Lo-Breath-CO1. Tried changing them to Hi-Hi-Solid-CO1. And then to all defaults - Normal-Normal-Solid-CO1. No change at all. Stayed faint red. That’s too bad. I was looking forward to enjoying them in the summer.

One of my inverters was ordered Aug 22. Sticker on it says 7/22. Old black terminals.
The other was ordered Nov 22. Sticker says 9/22. New grey terminals.
What about yours?

I’m pretty sure both of mine have always done this. At least I have never noticed them do anything else.

I thought this was just the default when the RGB LED was disabled. What happens if you disable the one that works? It’s just completely off? No faint red?

That’s strange, I don’t know why they would have the settings for it then. And no disclaimer about how it couldn’t be used in Split Phase or something. Or why one of yours works in split phase but the other doesn’t.
the one inverter with the RGB light bar that works is a brand new inverter (just got it last week). It was replaced under warranty. It didn’t work out of the box. It has the grey terminals. The inverter with the faint red RGB bar is an older style (was ordered last summer).

I am also off grid. I’ll try disabling the working RGB bar later today after work. Or anyone else can chime in on a working bar if they want. I’ve seen RGB light bars work with two 6500-ex inverters in split phase, but for some reason mine doesn’t.

Hmm. I guess if it was me, I would double check the connections behind the front panel, then I would attempt to reflash the firmware on the inverter with the LED bar problem. No guarantees that will make any difference, but at least you could resolve it being a connection issue or a firmware problem.

Still hard to believe a SS tech would say "it is what it is". If an LED doesn't turn off when you tell it to, it's not working...

Hmm. I guess if it was me, I would double check the connections behind the front panel, then I would attempt to reflash the firmware on the inverter with the LED bar problem. No guarantees that will make any difference, but at least you could resolve it being a connection issue or a firmware problem.

Still hard to believe a SS tech would say "it is what it is". If an LED doesn't turn off when you tell it to, it's not working...
Yes, I’ll try to do those things. Re-flashing is probably a good idea.

Signature Solar said as long as it’s a cosmetic issue it’s not affecting the way the inverter works so it won’t be covered under warranty. They gave me a $50 credit.

Yes, I’ll try to do those things. Re-flashing is probably a good idea.

Signature Solar said as long as it’s a cosmetic issue it’s not affecting the way the inverter works so it won’t be covered under warranty. They gave me a $50 credit.
Glad to hear they at least did something to try and "make it right". Money does talk... ?

Back