diy solar

diy solar

EG4-LL V2 does not fit in EG4 server rack 6-space (orange version) - handles touching busbars!!!

i am expecting a delivery for LL2 battery with the provided welded cabinet as part of the FREE.
hopefully i don't have same issue with the one posted here ... ?

i am expecting a delivery for LL2 battery with the provided welded cabinet as part of the FREE.
hopefully i don't have same issue with the one posted here ... ?
Your handles should lay down fine after you place the pack in the slot and then the rest of the wiring goes on top as described.

if you didn't order 2 cabinets then I assume the mismatch couldn't have occurred

Ok, it depends on how we calculated. My point of view is, that I usually only need the battery at night time without solar (about 12 hours) to feed every load including the inverter idle energy. On daytime it will be driven by solar... so we are both right :)
Oh, I see the difference now. It's power from the battery vs just used energy. Got it!
But, I'd argue that unless you are on the equator you don't have 12 sun hours a day.

We have been changing cabinet providers and the seamlessness has not been as easy as expected, we may be able to help you with this issue via credit or the orange cabinet as a swap, in the future we will be shipping all new yellow cabinets with ample room in front and back as well as the Panduit on the bus bar

I removed the top and side panels along with the batteries today and moved the vertical mounting rails on each side of the rack forward by two holes, then put everything back together. The batteries now fit with the rear panel installed. The only thing that isn't screwed in is the back of the 3 tabs connecting the busbars to the vertical rails on each side. These don't seem necessary since the tabs and busbars are connected to the front of the frame.

We have been changing cabinet providers and the seamlessness has not been as easy as expected, we may be able to help you with this issue via credit or the orange cabinet as a swap, in the future we will be shipping all new yellow cabinets with ample room in front and back as well as the Panduit on the bus bars

please use non-flammable floor and wall backer, 4ft radius of flammable items for fire protection is NFPA

I was very disappointing in receiving a different cabinet (orange) from what was shown on the kits web page. Seams like bait and switch. Not having a gray plastic bus bar cover just makes it seam unsafe when having to turn on the batteries. Risk of touching both bars at the same time sound like and accident waiting to happen. I was hopping that this was a over site in the manufacturing, but I was informed the kits contain different cabinet from what is show and no covers are available. I am hopping to add some bar cover as soon as I determine the size I need.

The casters my be an improvement to some people. Small wheel and a foot. Fine for smooth floors but may cause issues if needing to roll over a threshold. The bus bar also appear to have battery connection at both ends so I don't see need to reverse a bus bar that I have read about. Quality is TBD: Handle came apart, but screwed back together, and a couple of bad inserts on the bar. Did just receive my replacement bar to install. In general I wish the Lifepower battery breaker/switch wasn't under/behind the (+) cable. Routed to the side, but wish it was cleaner way to attach the wires. I hopping once I get it running there will be no need to reach in and turn anything on/off for a long time.

Attachments

• 20221217_153418.jpg
    20221217_153418.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20221217_151416.jpg
    20221217_151416.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230101_205736[1].jpg
    20230101_205736[1].jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20221217_153428.jpg
    20221217_153428.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 29
This guy was certainly not happy with his (newer version) of rack. Looks very dangerous:

I'm glad the one they sent me was the earlier yellow EG4 version, even though I had to move the front mounting rails forward to fit the batteries:

Last edited:
Your handles should lay down fine after you place the pack in the slot and then the rest of the wiring goes on top as described.

if you didn't order 2 cabinets then I assume the mismatch couldn't have occurred
Hi James,

I just received the LL v2 battery along with Orange Welded Rack.
the handle can be folded out as described but the issue i have is the mounting holes to hold the battery is on the wrong place.
There are holes along side but is blocked by the LL v2 battery mounting bracket on both side.
i just realize that the OP on this thread already attached the 1st picture with showing no mounting hole can be used to secure the battery while inside the rack.

is there any other way to secure the battery while inside the Orange Welded Rack ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 4.41.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 4.41.39 PM.png
    564.9 KB · Views: 35
This guy was certainly not happy with his (newer version) of rack. Looks very dangerous:

I'm glad the one they sent me was the earlier yellow EG4 version, even though I had to move the front mounting rails forward to fit the batteries:
Not happy either. SS sent me replacment bus bars and they have the same issue with turning inserts that is shown in this video. Waiting to hear back from SS.

Attachments

• bus-bar squeeze.JPG
    bus-bar squeeze.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230218_182606.jpg
    20230218_182606.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230218_181727.jpg
    20230218_181727.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 24
I just received the 6-space rack (pre-assembled) with the yellow logo and the Lifepower4 batteries protrude past the rear of the rack, preventing the back panel from being installed. I haven't heard of anyone else reporting this issue.
View attachment 132664
I encountered the same issue and solved it by flipping the mounting ears. This moved the batteries forward just enough to reinstall the back cover

How do you guys manage to get the bus bar replaced ?
i try to contact the tech support couple of times only greeted with on hold message for more than an hour.
email support also no respond, fill in form on their page also have not got respond.

I had the same issue with the free rack sale in January (SigSolar). I removed the handles and slid it right in. The handle mountings holes line up with the rack holes (y-axis fine, x-axis the rack is slightly wider). Not ideal, but it works and was a free rack for me. They are likely unloading discontinued racks.
So, slide battery out about 8” and remove screws on back side of handles. Re-install.

-Cheers.

For reference I ordered 6 of EG-4LL V2s and the 6-unit rack. Everything fit just fine, no problems. (order this month)

Hi,
I've ordered 9 EG4-LL V2 and 2 EG4 6-space server racks by end of November 2022. After delivery, I've noticed that both server racks are different models. One has a yellow EG4 logo and busbars covered with cable channels, the other has an orange EG4 logo and no cable channels and they differ also in some other details. I've contacted the SS support by phone and they've told me, because one rack with 6 batteries was a special deal and the other batteries and the other rack was "standard" order. My first impression was - not nice, but I can live with it. Due to time problems, I only got around to installing the batteries last weekend. The yellow rack version worked great for the EG4-LL V2 batteries, everything fits. BUT the orange version has a huge problem with the EG4-LL V2 batteries. The distance between the front of the batteries and the busbars is so narrow, that the foldable battery handles touch the busbars and/or busbar screws (and yes, the batteries are completely inserted)!!! If, by mistake both handles would touch both busbars it would be really dangerous - this would shorten all six batteries in the rack! I could have accepted the also not matching mounting holes for the screws to fix the batteries at the rack, but the potential short circuit is unacceptable!
It looks like the orange version of the rack is NOT usable at all with the new V2 version of the EG4-LL batteries! I've contacted SS via customer support web form and asked for a replacement of the rack (swap from the orange to the yellow version) on Monday and looking forward to get an answer from them.

Have someone else noticed this problem?

FrankView attachment 132584View attachment 132585View attachment 132586
I have the same issues, also I have an issue with the black casters getting locked. The silver casters did not have that problem. See video link of the caster issue. https://rumble.com/v1qrloa-eg4-battery-rack-review-black-caster-pain-bring-back-silver-casters..html

Hi,
I've ordered 9 EG4-LL V2 and 2 EG4 6-space server racks by end of November 2022. After delivery, I've noticed that both server racks are different models. One has a yellow EG4 logo and busbars covered with cable channels, the other has an orange EG4 logo and no cable channels and they differ also in some other details. I've contacted the SS support by phone and they've told me, because one rack with 6 batteries was a special deal and the other batteries and the other rack was "standard" order. My first impression was - not nice, but I can live with it. Due to time problems, I only got around to installing the batteries last weekend. The yellow rack version worked great for the EG4-LL V2 batteries, everything fits. BUT the orange version has a huge problem with the EG4-LL V2 batteries. The distance between the front of the batteries and the busbars is so narrow, that the foldable battery handles touch the busbars and/or busbar screws (and yes, the batteries are completely inserted)!!! If, by mistake both handles would touch both busbars it would be really dangerous - this would shorten all six batteries in the rack! I could have accepted the also not matching mounting holes for the screws to fix the batteries at the rack, but the potential short circuit is unacceptable!
It looks like the orange version of the rack is NOT usable at all with the new V2 version of the EG4-LL batteries! I've contacted SS via customer support web form and asked for a replacement of the rack (swap from the orange to the yellow version) on Monday and looking forward to get an answer from them.

Frank,

I had the same issue and Signature Solar put out a video and recommend you remove the handles before placing the batteries in the rack. I also purchased 2” shrink wrap to cover the bus bar because of the exposure with them.

Hello,

We are supposed to only send the same rack version with any one order; this will be reviewed and we can support exchange or full credit on the cabinet. However, the new rack is compatible with the V2, here is the info:

Per the manual the battery rack: handles are to be laid flat and the cables installed above them.

Any work on the cabinet performed in the future should occur with all batteries de-energized; the handles are only for the purpose of easing removal/installation in a maintenance or upgrade situation.

We did see this issue at the time of the new batch arriving but in review, it is clear that placing hands inside a live cabinet is not a supported practice that we ever recommend. to recap, the proper sequence is:
1: install with handles down after securing in the slot,
2: connect wires to buss bars,
3: power off all packs before working with any hardware inside.
The holes to secure the batteries to the rack are the same hole location as the handles. The handles need to be remove to secure the batteries.

Frank,

I had the same issue and Signature Solar put out a video and recommend you remove the handles before placing the batteries in the rack. I also purchased 2” shrink wrap to cover the bus bar because of the exposure with them.
Hello Bob,
thanks for the update. In the meantime, Signature Solar replaced my orange version with a new yellow one (thanks for Ben's help from SS). I think they've also done this because I've ordered 2 racks at the same time and they delivered (by mistake?) one orange and one yellow rack to me. Beside that the yellow ones fits "better" (without changing something) with the LL-V2 batteries both racks have now the same look. If I have had two orange ones, I would have followed your advice.

Hi,

I just removed the handles. Seems the easy solution. Side question: do you utilize that grounding lug shown in the bottom image?

Back