diy solar

diy solar

EG4-LL with Epever 4215BN and Samlex EVO 4024

LithiumCanuck

Hi,

I just finished installing 3 Signature Solar 24V EG4-LL on my solar installation. So far so good, the Samlex inverter-charger powered up immediately with no issue and the Epever works like a charm with these new batteries.

Just wanted to share the experience, hoping that everything will survive the first night… and a full sunny day (eventually) ?.

I bought 2 EG4 Lifepower 24v for my Samlex EVO 4024 and Epever 5415AN with WiFI and I have problems with the provided charging parameters when grid and/or solar charging to 100%, the inverter will start to reboot and the batteries will shutdown or go to fault. Had to lower to 28.1volt maximum bulk charge and worked better but still unreliable. The EG4 replaced 4 Victron 12v200ah that worked without any issue but I was always concern about discharging them complete. Now I installed a 2 bank HD battery switch and have them in standby when the EG4s fails (happened twice during power outages) Still waiting for resolving the issue with signature solar since December. ?? ???

Ouch.

I can share the parameters I'm using with my 4215BN if it can be of some help... The params come from SS and I only had to modify one of them slightly...

Overvoltage Disconnect Voltage:30V
Charging Limit Voltage: 28.8v
Overvoltage Reconnect Voltage: 28.8V
Equalize Charging Voltage: 28.8V
Boost Charging Voltage: 29.2V
Float: 27.2V
Boost reconnect charging Voltage: 26.6V
Low Voltage Reconnect Voltage: 22.4V
Undervoltage Warning Voltage: 22.5V
Low Voltage Disconnect Voltage: 20.8V
Discharging Limit Voltage: 20.8V
Equalize Duration: 0
Boost Duration: 180

Ouch.

I can share the parameters I'm using with my 4215BN if it can be of some help... The params come from SS and I only had to modify one of them slightly...

Thanks for your help.
These are the parameters I have now that I used based on battery parameter read with the software.
Have you experienced any battery reset or shutdown when charging to 100% ?
Overvoltage Disconnect Voltage:29.1V
Charging Limit Voltage: 28.41v
Overvoltage Reconnect Voltage: 28.4V
Equalize Charging Voltage: 28.4V
Boost Charging Voltage: 28.4V
Float: 28.2V
Boost reconnect charging Voltage: 26.0V
Low Voltage Reconnect Voltage: 24.5V
Under Voltage Warning Reconnect Voltage 25v
Under voltage Warning Voltage: 25V
Low Voltage Disconnect Voltage: 23.7V
Discharging Limit Voltage: 23.5V

If you look at my charging params, you see that mine are higher than yours, except for Float.. SS suggests 28.25 so you should be good, but they also told me to lower that number to 27.2.....

You can have a look ay BattleBorn to compare. I have comparable numbers. https://battlebornbatteries.com/setting-up-the-epever-solar-controller/

Until today, they worked perfectly, never tripped once and they charge at 100% every day (though I have to admit that I never had a chance to really deplete them yet...)

Ouch.

Are those settings still working for you? Have you optimized any one for your application
Thanks

I think I only changed one a little. I’m going back next weekend, I will note my settings and report back.

So far, everything seems to be working pretty well. I had some balancing issues with one of the batteries but after top balancing, I had some improvement. I dropped SOC under 15% and I will top balance it again before putting it back with the others. Hopefully, balancing will be less erratic then…

Did SS help you with your issue ?

I think I only changed one a little. I’m going back next weekend, I will note my settings and report back.

So far, everything seems to be working pretty well. I had some balancing issues with one of the batteries but after top balancing, I had some improvement. I dropped SOC under 15% and I will top balance it again before putting it back with the others. Hopefully, balancing will be less erratic then…

Did SS help you with your issue ?
Yes, they worked on their issue of the battery they sent me with problems. Still I could not sell my AGM battery bank because my 2 Lifepower batteries are not as reliable as the AGM bank, from time to time they will shutdown the inverter if there is a power outage. They are too sensitive. Also I could not use the charging parameters sent in the manual for the same reason. If i use charging to 28.5v sometimes will go to fault

I verified ne my numbers are as I posted.

Note that I am off grid so I do not have to deal with power outages… could it be related to that? I don’t know.

Last night I arrived home and Inverter was off, because an over voltage in the batteries that charged to 100% off grid. I have only left 2 breakers (ProTran2 Transfer) working with the WIFI and TV UPS that no major harm was done. I am using the inverter with the power from the grid off. The solar charge controllers (now i have 2, Tracer 5420AN and 5415AN) the 5415 direct to the batteries, (thru fuses, breaker and switch and battery monitor) and the 5420 direct to the solar CC inputs of the Samlex 4024. For any reason, even when I am having the settings below the recommended max when the batteries charge to 100% this will happen. I am so disappointed by these batteries and by the lack of knowledgeable technical support from the seller.

Oh! And all your numbers are below mine except for Float but at 28,4 I don’t see why you would get an over voltage error. Can Signature Solar give you an explanation on this? Or maybe @RichardFromEG4 can…

Back