diy solar

diy solar

EG4 split phase inverter (6000EX-48HV)

dareggaemon

I purchased the EG4 split phase 6000EX-48HV along with 6KWs in solar panels to add to my current solarcity 4.5KW Grid-Tie system. The easiest way to connect it would be to wire a sub panel with critical loads to be powered by the EG4 inverter. However, the grid tie inverter will still go down when the power is out and I will lose 4.5KWs of connect solar panels. I also have a Nissan Leaf battery which I will connect to the EG4 inverter in S7P6 (21KW)

Which leads me to my questions. What is the best way to add the EG4 inverter to my system and still get full use out of my current 4.5KW grid tie system even when power goes out? Being able to run multiple devices with high current pull is also important to me.

My current system is:
Inverter - solar city delta H6 (currently only using 1 of the two MPP connections)
Solar panels - 4.5KW of Sunpower panels.
APSmart Rapid Shut Down System

I have both grid tie and off grid systems,
I would also like to be able to switch a grid tied array to be able to charge my off grid batteries
looked like the best way would be to buy another AIO inverter and use DC disconnects to work like a transfer switch
I decided it was not worth the expense and complexity as we dont lose power that often.

what I do to use the grid tie excess power for on cloudy dats is use SUB or UTILITY FIRST mode so that some excess gristie power goes to my batteries

also does your grid tie inverter have what my SMA calls a SPS, secure power supply outlet that still works when the grid is down ? my SMA 6000 inverter has I think its 2000 watts avbl even with grid down. if so you could plug in a portable charger to help charge batts

I completed my setup adding the sup panel (per Signature Solar's recommendation), EG4 split phase 6000EX-48HV, 49 Nissan leaf batteries in S14P7, and 5.5kw in solar panels. I bought an extra Nissan leaf module for 24kw battery bank. I couldn't fit the rest of the panels. I was going to place the panels on a two connected pergolas that I was going to build, but decided to place them on my North facing roof. They produce more energy than the south facing panels. They currently power everything except the water heater, stove, air handler, heat pump, and Dryer.

I ordered a second inverter because the EG4 split phase 6000EX-48HV tops out at 25 amps. Even with the grid, solar, and battery connected, it can't exceed 25 amps continuous output. Charging my Nissan leaf EV while using my air fryer and toaster oven overloads the inverter. This is after downgrading from 32 amp charging to 16amp 240v charging.

I will let you guys know how the off grid system paired with my grid-tie system affects my light bill.

Back