diy solar

diy solar

Ego Fun

Jimmynik1

yep
So the ego nexus, a pretty cool but expensive proprietary inverter that shows a pretty accurate run time based on what's plugged in.
Egos also proprietary batteries advertised as 56v but measuring around 58.1 when fully charged.
Thinking in my head if one were to put 17/18 3.2 cells in series and then feed that homemade pack into the nexus. Then use the nexus with a 200-280ah battery versus their biggest 10ah.
Like most other dc items the nexus doesnt care where it gets its power from. I have my home router and 8ch camera system wired direct to batteries, and then those batteries on tenders, for power outages and whatnot.
I know ryobi has temp sensors in their batteries making it a little more annoying to charge and draw from a homemade adapter but I was thinking of solely drawing from a theoretical bank and charging it through a regular charger/controller.
This is somewhat appealing as their inverter runs as 56v, higher than 48 and running more efficient than a 48v system at something like a 2.2:1 if that.

So the ego nexus, a pretty cool but expensive proprietary inverter that shows a pretty accurate run time based on what's plugged in.
Egos also proprietary batteries advertised as 56v but measuring around 58.1 when fully charged.
Thinking in my head if one were to put 17/18 3.2 cells in series and then feed that homemade pack into the nexus. Then use the nexus with a 200-280ah battery versus their biggest 10ah.
Like most other dc items the nexus doesnt care where it gets its power from. I have my home router and 8ch camera system wired direct to batteries, and then those batteries on tenders, for power outages and whatnot.
I know ryobi has temp sensors in their batteries making it a little more annoying to charge and draw from a homemade adapter but I was thinking of solely drawing from a theoretical bank and charging it through a regular charger/controller.
This is somewhat appealing as their inverter runs as 56v, higher than 48 and running more efficient than a 48v system at something like a 2.2:1 if that.
58.1 is a 14S pack charged to 4.15... so their battery is only 51.8V nominal...

I would NOT connect direct to battery ANY direct bank of cells... so easy to massively imbalance and have 14S flamethrowers...

Damn yeah I forgot about the whole lithium balancing what not. But you see what I was going for if the Nexus wants 56 volts of input it doesn't care where it gets it from. My idea while completely hypothetical now would just be to essentially make a bigger battery that they sell and feed it to the Nexus achieving a longer runtime.

You might be able to bypass the battery and feed the inverter direct from yours, but I wouldn’t try powering the battery directly.

Sorry if my explanation initially wasn't clear, my intention is to not use any ego battery at all but mimic their voltage with just an increased capacity.
Like I have a UPS brand APC at my house. I took out that little 7ah battery and wired a 100ah lead acid to it. It doesn't make it anymore efficient just lengthens the runtime so I can be sure my cameras and Wi-Fi won't go down in a power outage.

Late to the party, but a LiFePO4 17s battery with jkbms on it would easily handle it and would be pretty close mimic to what they expect.

Back