diy solar

diy solar

Either battery is messed up or my scc settings are messed up.

Looking at the pic you have 4 200ah cells in series and those are parallel for 12v 400ah.

Series voltage increases, ah stays the same.
3.2vpc x 4 cells= 12.8v @ 200ah
Parallel the ah increases, voltage stays the same.
200ah x 2 = 400ah @ 12.8v

Besides him changing the 800aH to 400aH .. Do you have the other settings he needs to put into the MT50 ???

I was looking at your other threads and that video and was getting confused but we're making head way now.

Before suggesting settings how are you balancing the cells?

It will be debated but in a fractional C use and using solar for charging top balancing might have been better, why bottom?

I bottom balanced at 2.8v each cell

I am going to suggest for what you are doing to TOP balance ... bottom balancing is really only for those applications where you expect to have to run the battery down to zero ... like emergency equipment or a golf cart or something .. for what you are doing top balancing is fine ... actually really all you need to do is once you get the settings correct on the MT50 and let it charge -- take a reading when its 90-100% and see what the cells are setting at and let us know ...

I bottom balanced at 2.8v each cell

I have to run -- but PLEASE get someone to give you the right settings for your MT50 ... I am going to say that several of your numbers are incorrect ... I just don't have my cheat sheet in front of me ... but someone on this forum should have it ...

You didn't think diy was going to be easy and cheap did you? ;)

You'll be hanging near the mid/ upper voltages with solar than the lower voltages in a fractional C use.

With that said you'll need to disconnect equalize time to zero.

Change to 400ah
OV Disc 14.4
Charge limit 14.2

OV Rec ?? (Don't know what rec is, "reconnect"?)
Equal charge 14.2 (need to set time to zero, no equalization with lfp)
Boost charge 14.2
Float 13.5 or 13.6
Boost rec ?? (Don't know what rec is, "reconnect"?)
Low volt rec??(Don't know what rec is, "reconnect"?)
Under volt rec 12.2
Under volt warn 12.1
Low volt Disc 12.0
Discharge limit 12.0
Equalize time zero
Boost time ?? Not sure how this equipment works.

I use a Magnum system which is a little different than these settings.

Sorry I can't help you more. I'm off to bed earlier day tomorrow. ;)

I’ve installed a ton of those charge controllers. Your numbers are close. Set the equalization voltage to 1min and same voltage as your boost. Also set charge limit to 14.5 if you want every bit of power available and your cells are well balanced at the top.
I just installed one today with 200ah lithium battery. I used 13.6 as float, 14.2 boost for 30min, charge limit 14.3. Charge limit is vitally important especially on lithium.
Boost voltage is basically what voltage starts the timer, charge limit is the peak it will stop at.

Also battery size (ah) is irrelevant on these charge controllers. The SOC on those units is strictly voltage dependent.

He bottom balanced these that's why I used 14.4, 14.2 and I hope the cells are matched well up there. One rouge cell and the parties over.

SoC off of voltage with lfp.:oops:o_O

My system settings have been 14.1v, float 13.6v, 12.0v low voltage cut off with inverter for 4 years now everyday use.

Last edited:
I think will has a top balance video I will watch that

Honestly -- once your battery gets charged - let it set for a few hours to settle .. and then take a reading off of each cell ... if you are 0.1 of each other you are fine ... and will be top balanced ... but let us know the numbers ... PLEASE make sure that you let your battery REST before taking a reading .. I normally put a light load on it for 10 minutes and then turn it completely off for 2 hours to rest it ...

Should have went with victron scc for ease of use.
You have helped me a crap ton! I really appreciate it!

Totally disagree ... the issue is that there are really only three (3) setting you need for LiFePO4 and 20 for AGM ... you are trying to set the LFP like a AGM ... @Sojourner is totally correct/close on his numbers .. another solution is also to simply contact the manufacturer and tell them the SCC you have and ask him what settings he recommends ...

Back