diy solar

diy solar

Elastomeric Slicone Roof Coating, The Cheapest Way To Cool Your RV Or Trailer By 20°!

A.Justice

Swears he didn't start that fire.
I'm in the process of converting a small tow behind trailer into a camper. It had an unpainted aluminum roof that would get up to 160°f on the surface, and heat the internal temperature of the trailer to well over 120°f. I have fans inside, but no AC; so in the sun it's completely miserable.

I was at Lowe's yesterday and saw some BlackJack white elastomeric silicone roof coating (about $25), and figured I'd give it a shot, I've never been disappointed with silicone.

After cleaning the surface really well, I applied a very thick coat. It was pretty easy to do, just dump it on and spread it around. It's supposed to make a 10-30 mil coating, I got what looks to be about 10-15 mil with the first coat.

I keep a data-logging thermometer in my trailer, and the temperatures averaged at about 120°. Today, it was the same temperature outside, and never got above 90° inside. The roof is normally too hot to touch, and now it's cool to touch in the direct sun. I don't think there's any other way I could have made $25 cool the trailer that drastically. It still needs a second coat as well, so it could get even better.

Next step is real insulation, and a mini split.

Just figured I'd share my experience.

I'm in the process of converting a small tow behind trailer into a camper. It had an unpainted aluminum roof that would get up to 160°f on the surface, and heat the internal temperature of the trailer to well over 120°f. I have fans inside, but no AC; so in the sun it's completely miserable.

I was at Lowe's yesterday and saw some BlackJack white elastomeric silicone roof coating (about $25), and figured I'd give it a shot, I've never been disappointed with silicone.

After cleaning the surface really well, I applied a very thick coat. It was pretty easy to do, just dump it on and spread it around. It's supposed to make a 10-30 mil coating, I got what looks to be about 10-15 mil with the first coat.

I keep a data-logging thermometer in my trailer, and the temperatures averaged at about 120°. Today, it was the same temperature outside, and never got above 90° inside. The roof is normally too hot to touch, and now it's cool to touch in the direct sun. I don't think there's any other way I could have made $25 cool the trailer that drastically. It still needs a second coat as well, so it could get even better.

Next step is real insulation, and a mini split.

Just figured I'd share my experience.
Thanks for sharing!

In other threads it has been pointed out that insulating the outside of a metal structure is far more effective than trying to insulate the inside. Your experience proves the point.

Back