diy solar

diy solar

Elcheapo Hydraulic Hex crimper results, as expected...stick to Burndy mechanical indent crimps eh! Giggles

With reference to my earlier post linking the publications regarding Hex crimps not being gas tight.

Here is a 2AWG cable which is a (nats knacker 0.5mm) under 35mm size metric cable inserted into a metric 35mm hex lug. Crimped using a 25mm hex hydraulic chineesium cimping tool.

The wings are excesive but I crimped it until the dog started barking.

Anyway the picture isn't brilliant as iphones arn't the best for taking a picture and I can't be arsed to get my SLR out.

I will have stop at this point as the dog doesn't like crimps for some reason and I can't afford to buy anymore pure copper conductors for sacrafice.

Attachments

• IMG_0541.JPG
    IMG_0541.JPG
    456.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0540.JPG
    IMG_0540.JPG
    557.4 KB · Views: 19
With reference to my earlier post linking the publications regarding Hex crimps not being gas tight.

Here is a 2AWG cable which is a (nats knacker 0.5mm) under 35mm size metric cable inserted into a metric 35mm hex lug. Crimped using a 25mm hex hydraulic chineesium cimping tool.

The wings are excesive but I crimped it until the dog started barking.

Anyway the picture isn't brilliant as iphones arn't the best for taking a picture and I can't be arsed to get my SLR out.

I will have stop at this point as the dog doesn't like crimps for some reason and I can't afford to buy anymore pure copper conductors for sacrafice.
I don't see any out-gassing in the pictures.
Can we please get this thread moved to the HUMOR forum? I'm so konfused that I have a crimp in my neck.:confused:
Post 8, difficult task I know, but click the link and scroll down halfway - very little reading required - just look at the pictures and see this:
Crimping 101.PNG

Crimping is used pretty much exclusively in aviation, aerospace, the military, and power utilities etc...
Its proven to be extremely reliable.

BUT the only way its ever going to work for us is to use the correct crimp lug, with the correct wire size, using the correct crimping die.
Cheaping out and mixing incompatible parts is not going to create a reliable crimp.
Its as simple as that.

I use a monster mechanical crimper that looks like a set of large bolt cutters. It cost me several hundred dollars about thirty years ago.
It has dies from 6mm cable to 120mm cable.
The bargain Chinese hydraulic crimpers are probably fine, but the dies supplied with it are for what exactly ?????

The bargain Chinese hydraulic crimpers are probably fine, but the dies supplied with it are for what exactly ?????
The ones I checked were close enough to European cable lugs & "coarse" stranded cable. BUT...

Hex crimp is not recommended for fine-stranded cable and large-entry lugs (Klauke F-series, F like flared)

"Large entry F" lugs are nearly one size larger than nominal and I'd recommend indent crimper or modified hex die crimper with these.

Crimping is used pretty much exclusively in aviation, aerospace, the military, and power utilities etc...
Its proven to be extremely reliable.

BUT the only way its ever going to work for us is to use the correct crimp lug, with the correct wire size, using the correct crimping die.
Cheaping out and mixing incompatible parts is not going to create a reliable crimp.
Its as simple as that.

I use a monster mechanical crimper that looks like a set of large bolt cutters. It cost me several hundred dollars about thirty years ago.
It has dies from 6mm cable to 120mm cable.
This is my whole point exactly. Just buy the mechanical adjustable dieless crimpers second hand. They are made with the correct tolerances, certified when made and then certified again anually by the company/contractor who uses them . They give CONSISTANT crimping force compared to cheap chinese hydraulic crimpers and allow for small deviations in the crimp lug manufcaturers and cables, which a HEX will not. I was demonstrating this in my first post for the above reasons posted by @Warpspeed .
Either buy new, used or rent the mechanical crimping tool and do it properly.

Please see my other post with examples using the metric Burndy Dieless crimping tool with the metric cable and metric lugs. Applys exactly the same to AWG lovers in the USA.

Like I said before I feel comfortable hanging my dog from an indent crimp done with my Burndys, but not hanging him from a chineesium crimped HEX lug.

I know my tool does NOT say CHINA anywhere.

Do you have anything at all to backup your claim?
It's weird, I have a Temco TH0006 hydraulic crimper, and it doesn't say "Made in USA" anywhere on the tool, the case, the documentation, or the website. On their website I did find the following:
resepct.jpg

I know that I really appreciate being treated with resepct, and it's hard to find these days. :ROFLMAO:

There are people asking on amazon reviews if these units are made in the USA, but I've yet to find any word or indication from the company that this is the case. I've just sent an email to the company asking them about this, and I will report back as soon as I get a response.

For what it's worth, I have nothing but positive things to say about this unit; it makes crimps so tight that I am unable to pull them out by hanging on them with all my weight (~200lbs). I have no idea how that factors into whether they are gas tight-- I'd be happy to cut a crimped lug apart and inspect it or take pictures if anyone is interested, but my only cutting tools for this are an angle grinder or a hacksaw/recip saw.
Would slowly cutting a lug with one of those tools be likely to "smear" or deform the strands and prevent a proper inspection of the crimp?

I also find it annoying that their warranty information says several different and contradictory things depending on where you look.
- On their website and in the manual which comes with the crimper, it claims a warranty of 5 years for defects in materials or workmanship, but doesn't cover shipping costs, and that abuse or tampering will void your warranty
- In the box with the crimper there is a card touting a 1 year warranty and that Temco will pay shipping both ways. "Free Returns"
- On amazon, the company claims to offer a 5 year warranty for ANY REASON, explicitly including damage due to abuse, tampering, or modification. Here's a 2 minute video they posted on amazon explaining the warranty (https://m.media-amazon.com/images/S...-2fb5a050f137/default.jobtemplate.mp4.480.mp4)

Subtle Hint:

Chinesium bordering into RACIST KRAP and that will NOT FLY...
Every Race, Colour, Religion & whatever is HERE and this is a Zero Political BS Zone as well...
This Post is being REPORTED for Admins to review thread.

Use what little Social Graces your mother taught you at least.

The OP crimp look a bit light by the rounded corners of the hex. I had a value crimper (probably similar) and needed to use two dies to get a good crimp. First for basic form and the second to really press it.

Temco is one and done with half size dies if needed.

Nothing to do with where the tool is made.

Last edited:
Subtle Hint:

Chinesium bordering into RACIST KRAP and that will NOT FLY...
Every Race, Colour, Religion & whatever is HERE and this is a Zero Political BS Zone as well...
This Post is being REPORTED for Admins to review thread.

Use what little Social Graces your mother taught you at least.
"Chinesium" is a term that refers to a long recognized pattern of quality issues in goods produced in many different industries at low prices in China. The primary motivation for most companies to manufacture in China or southeast Asia in general is normally the cost.

It doesn't refer to the moral or social worth of the Chinese people.
edit: and to be clear, I don't normally use the word in conversation (mainly because I think it sounds dumb) but I do use it in this post only for clarity and in reference.

@WYtreasure , I heard back from Temco this morning, and they say that their products are made in China in order to keep costs down.

I do not appreciate the American flag theme, and language about their company being an "American team" on the front page of their website--- it's clearly intended to mislead people like me and you into believing that these products are American made. Temco doesn't state anywhere online, on their products, or in their paperwork what the country of origin is. They specifically ignore questions about this on their Amazon store (while answering other unrelated questions).

Back