diy solar

diy solar

Electric boat

Mike Groom

I need a little advice, I have a small electric deck boat which has 4 F27 deep cycle batteries in a series that powers a trolly motor..they claim it will run 4 or 5 hours. Now I have built a canopy for two 33 W solar panels, direct out put in sun reads 46 voilts each. What size and kind of a DC controller would I need to change up batteries? There is a 110 charger built in for the batteries now..please tell me What to buy for running in daylight to charge? thanks Mike Groom..

Is the motor a 24v motor?

66 watts of solar power is pretty tiny for those batteries. It is enough power to keep the batteries charged in storage, but it would take many days to restore the power used from the batteries in one hour running of running a trolling motor.

33 watts at 46 Volts??? Didn't see any panels at this low a wattage putting out 46 Volts. I must assume that these panels are 330 watts each instead.
Almost any MPPT controller, with a wattage rating of ~25% greater than the output of your panels, would work. I had planned to do a set-up of a smaller (~12 foot) pontoon boat with a 55 lb. thrust trolling motor using 330 watt (Canadian or Mission Solar) panels. Two 330 watt panels would run such a rig at 1/2 power for as long as they were in full sunlight without any battery draw.

My issue was how to set-up such a rig and keep it "water tight" or "Marine Grade".

Back