diy solar

diy solar

Electric Off-Road vehicle

sshibly

Solar Enthusiast
I am pretty impressed with the e-bikes and motos.

Off Road Electric vehicles, Anyone care to share their experience pls.

I have seen em on Alibaba, I want to pick one up for my kids ;-).

Polaris has a new electric version of their full-size Ranger coming out at the end of the year. Not many details though.

Here is the current offering electric offering of their mid-size.

Polaris has a new electric version of their full-size Ranger coming out at the end of the year. Not many details though.

Here is the current offering electric offering of their mid-size.

Nice, those will be $$$ and big.

After posting I was peeking at Alib and maybe there are smaller ones that can do double duty of helping grandma, say from parking lot to the beach, it is very difficult for her to move around the sand,
max speed, anything like 10 mph will suffice
off road tires and 4 wheel drive must.
2 seater is a plus.

I have looked at 2 seater quads but I don't think Grandma can get on/off

I suppose my souped up mobility scooter is out here eh? LOL :) :p

That Polaris will be in the $20,000+ start range when it comes out... and it is "Bombardier" so best to wait till they get to Version 2.5 before touching one, so 5-7 years away.

Alibaba & AlieExpress have many vendors selling electric & non-electric carts, utv's and more. Some pretty good while others, well for the serious risk takers who don't care about money.

For Fun, Micah Toll wrote several articles on some of the awesomely weird goodies available - Not look at the Go-Carts article (#6) and then goto the vendor site and see other wild possibilities. https://electrek.co/?s=Awesomely+weird

I wonder what the local ordnance would be about using a motorized recreational vehicle, electric or gas, to go from the car to the beach.

Not sure what the new electric ranger will be. THere’s been a two seater out for a long time. It’s run off a 48 volt battery bank. I want one, but will probably never get it. At about 320 wh per mile, I have enough excess production to perhaps charge it for 8 too 12 miles a day using my RV. THere’s a few things to work out with that charging station. Mostly my 12 volt system charging a 48 volt battery bank. Also I have a fifth wheel trailer and would need an additional trailer to bring the vehicle with me.

I wonder what the local ordnance would be about using a motorized recreational vehicle, electric or gas, to go from the car to the beach.

Not sure what the new electric ranger will be. THere’s been a two seater out for a long time. It’s run off a 48 volt battery bank. I want one, but will probably never get it. At about 320 wh per mile, I have enough excess production to perhaps charge it for 8 too 12 miles a day using my RV. THere’s a few things to work out with that charging station. Mostly my 12 volt system charging a 48 volt battery bank. Also I have a fifth wheel trailer and would need an additional trailer to bring the vehicle with me.
I agree, I have been looking at mobility scooters for grandma since last year, if it is true mobility scooter, I think per ADA, she can use it.

4 fat tire electric hubs + controller
do they make controllers for 4 motors all in one?

That Polaris will be in the $20,000+ start range when it comes out... and it is "Bombardier" so best to wait till they get to Version 2.5 before touching one, so 5-7 years away.

Alibaba & AlieExpress have many vendors selling electric & non-electric carts, utv's and more. Some pretty good while others, well for the serious risk takers who don't care about money.

For Fun, Micah Toll wrote several articles on some of the awesomely weird goodies available - Not look at the Go-Carts article (#6) and then goto the vendor site and see other wild possibilities. https://electrek.co/?s=Awesomely+weird
Polaris and Bombardier are not the same company. Bombardier is now Can-Am.

I would not mind buying a first year model from Polaris. I've done it several times.

Get or build a cart like the one Will Prowse built.
I’ve seen them easily travel in deep sand at the imperial dunes. About a third of the cost of an electric SxS ?

Unfortunately, $$$ is a constraint plus as chrisski mentioned, the township will probably ticket grandma if they find her on a UTV.

Unfortunately, $$$ is a constraint plus as chrisski mentioned, the township will probably ticket grandma if they find her on a UTV.
I do think there's a way to use the ADA to access the beach with a motorized vehicle, its just these vehicles are just now to the point they can drive on beaches, and this has not been challenged, but until someone does a lawsuit, I doubt this would be allowed.

I do think this could be an easy win for a local lawyer who may take the case on as Pro-Bono.

E-bikes are great! I've had two:
The first was a borrowed converted mountain bike, full suspension, 48v 16.5Ah. Went like a rocket and had very long range (80Km). Hated to part with it (owner wanted it back)
Second was off the shelf. Hard tail with springy seat post. 48v 10Ah. Lots of fun to ride but managed to kill the battery a few times with long fast rides into strong headwind. Barely adequate range. Would prefer bigger battery or extra battery for backup.

Get one (or two) if you can. May be hard right now because everyone else has the same idea and around here they're selling out.

Big decision right now is to go fat tires or not. Personally I don't like 'em - too much rubber to push and I don't have much need to bike on snow or sand.

In Arizona a Ranger can be a fully licensed street vehicle with off road license also available.

Last edited:
2 ebikes - Controller is the key.
What controller can control the wheel so they keep in synch,
I am pretty sure having 2 forward wheels with motors will be enough to be mobile.

Back