diy solar

diy solar

Electric sailboat conversion - gradual transition from FLA and diesel to electric drive with LiFePO4

James_42

Planning on converting my 32' sailboat to electric and have done a lot of reading, including a lot of threads here.

What I am trying to figure out is whether there is any way to build LiFePO4 batteries that could power an electric sailboat, but also work as starter batteries for a diesel engine until I can save for and buy all the parts for the conversion. I'm trying to avoid buying another lead acid battery that will only last a year or two. Most of the cells I have looked at have 1C rating, which doesn't seem like enough. However, it isn't clear to me how much current is required to start the engine. It's a >50yr old Volvo MD2 and has a dynastarter=starter/generator instead of a starter motor and alternator. I have several tricks for starting it with dying lead acid batteries and can even start it by hand when warm (there is a detachable hand crank) so I know I don't need a lot of power. The dynastarter is basically a 12v DC motor that I think is less powerful than the one I plan to power the sailboat with (10kw Etek 48v motor 150A continuous 330A max).

So although lots of cranking amps would be helpful, they are not necessarily required. Is there a way to limit the current output to the dynastarter? Could I just use a motor controller? I'm not sure, but I think both the Dynastarter and the Etek are both brushed DC motors.

Also, although it looks like 200Ahr or bigger cells would be a good match for the Etek, I see more deals and other advantages to 100Ahr cells. I know it is better to start with a bank of matched large capacity cells, but how much worse is it to build up a bank of 100Ahr cells over time?

One of the issues you will want/need to solve is charging the lithium’s with the alternator.

If you are looking at the fortune 100ah cells I believe they have a discharge of 2 or 3C for 10 seconds. If you made a 400ah 12v battery out of those cells - your cranking amps would be 800 to 1200amps - that’s enough to start my diesel motor on my MotorHome. So starting is not the problem...

The Bms can be an issue, but if you go with one that uses a contactor they can deliver large amps. Batrium- Rec-Bms, and Orion Jr. are ones I know about. (I went with Batrium).

The big issue is the alternator and charging and the bms cutting off charging when full, and frying an alternator.

While not ideal mixing new cells with 1 or 2 year old cells (as long as same type and size and gently used). I don’t think it would be a big problem (but I am guessing here).

Good Luck

Thanks. I searched for fortune 100ah cells and they are more expensive than some of the deals I have seen and only availabe in the US. Leaving aside the frustrations of trying to source things in Canada, I wonder how much of a premium it is worth paying for high C-rate cells. If they are twice as expensive it seems like it would be better to get twice as many cheaper cells and put them in paralell since you would have twice the capacity. I guess the bigger issue is figuring out what discharge rate I actually needI haven't found specs on the dynastarter yet

Also, as mentioned there is no alternator and I guess I didn't mention I have no plans to add one.

Back