diy solar

diy solar

electrical help please

From what you describe, it sounds like the inverter wants to isolate the output Neutral from the input neutral when in inverter mode. That tells me you should *not* tie the neutral of the two panels together.

Yup, a real pain in the butt!!!

Warning: The following may not be to code..... but it could make things easier.

Would it be possible to mount a 2nd isolated neutral bus bar in the main panel and run a single large Neutral to it from the critical Loads panel? Then your critical loads neutrals can tie to it.

I would rather pull the neutrals :)

At this point I'm think Sol-Ark A true Common Neutral, Common Ground system

Story possibly related: 1986 I was wiring a house. People moving into it in a couple of days. I begin to hot check the electrical by plugging an extension cord into the house next door. In the new house I tied A and B phases together and connected the neutral to the female end of the extension cord. Turned off all the breakers and went next door to the occupied house and plugged in the extension cord. Something appeared wrong as there was a big arc. Went back to the new house and checked to see if all the breakers were off. They were. What is causing this problem?
Answer: When I plugged in the extension cord I inadvertently gave the neutral a new path back to the utility transformer. My extension cord was carrying approximately 1/2 the unbalanced load from the occupied house, then through the neutral bus, and back through the meter can. Unplugging a meter doesn't disconnect the neutral. Not only was this dangerous for my poor extension cord, but it was even more dangerous for the 15 amp circuit I had plugged into in the occupied house. There are no breakers on neutrals.

Going back to the sol-ark discussion, I did have a follow up question: In the above case where the leads for Panel 2 come into a double pole 60A breaker, wouldn't this only power one leg of the panel? Wouldn't you need two single pole 60A breakers and install one on each leg?

Going back to the sol-ark discussion, I did have a follow up question: In the above case where the leads for Panel 2 come into a double pole 60A breaker, wouldn't this only power one leg of the panel? Wouldn't you need two single pole 60A breakers and install one on each leg?
No, a fullsized Double pole breaker designed to carry 240 volts sits half on one phase, half on the other. In your panel box each row of breakers is on the opposite phase as those immediately above and below

No. The way the breakers in a panel in North America works, every other breaker is on each leg. That way, a double breaker taps into both legs of the 240 Split phase.

1629934135886.png

Back