diy solar

diy solar

Electrical Safety Breaker Panel / Inverter

afmiller

Wanting to set things up properly / safe. I have a Growatt 5000ES-US (non bonded neutral) Off grid model that will have AC from the main panel that is hooked up to a 50amp breaker on the main panel. I will have EG4 batteries going into the DC IN, and eventually PV in. I want to output the AC from inverter to a breaker box to have have multiple things tied into the system. How do I go about grounding the Breaker Box safely. Am I able to tie this panel into the same ground that the Main panel uses? Do I need to drive in 2 new 8' rods solely for this panel?

Or does the AC Input act as the ground?

Last edited:
All the above-ground earthing elements such as the inverter, power panel, ect., should be connected to the same grounding bussbar where-ever that is, and that grounding bussbar alone should be connected directly to the ground rod.

Do NOT have multiple ground rods connected to components independently of each other.

You may have multiple ground rods at your location if local code requires it, but all the ground rods MUST be SERIALLY connected together with one contiguous unbroken ground wire that connects solely to that same bussbar. That ground wire can be 6 gauge for up to 100A of service or 4 gauge for 200A service. Above 200A is professionally engineered only.

Back