diy solar

diy solar

Electrodacus Newbie Question.....

MezzBatt

So, basically here, I have my head around the four charger/load ports (EXT103-EXT106/terms 7-14) and they are all used in my system. While the Victron Orion has disconnect function for my 12v loads I have not as yet allowed for my 24v loads of which there are approximately 12/15 cct's as of yet all fed from a MCB setup/enclosure. I was thinking of using a Victron battery disconnect rated accordingly and piggyback off EXT105 going to the VE Orion unit...???? Any thoughts on my 24v disconnect requirement please...???? Thanks.....

So, basically here, I have my head around the four charger/load ports (EXT103-EXT106/terms 7-14) and they are all used in my system. While the Victron Orion has disconnect function for my 12v loads I have not as yet allowed for my 24v loads of which there are approximately 12/15 cct's as of yet all fed from a MCB setup/enclosure. I was thinking of using a Victron battery disconnect rated accordingly and piggyback off EXT105 going to the VE Orion unit...???? Any thoughts on my 24v disconnect requirement please...???? Thanks.....
How are you wiring to the VE Orion? Are you feeding it a voltage or are you closing the circuit between the two remote pins on the Victron devices? (The Orion can be controlled both ways).

If you are closing a circuit between the two remote pins on the Victron devices, I don't know if you can parallel the battery protect to it. (You might be able to .... I just don't know)

If you are feeding it a voltage, then you can definitely piggyback.

1636143634104.png

How are you wiring to the VE Orion? Are you feeding it a voltage or are you closing the circuit between the two remote pins on the Victron devices? (The Orion can be controlled both ways).

If you are closing a circuit between the two remote pins on the Victron devices, I don't know if you can parallel the battery protect to it. (You might be able to .... I just don't know)

If you are feeding it a voltage, then you can definitely piggyback.

View attachment 71445
To answer your question I think the switching facility for the Orion uses 'volt free' contacts as I perceive the info from the Victron manual attached here (bottom image), it states switched current is 'less than' 100mA but is that the rating of the contacts or is it referring to an output voltage rating (Amperes)...????
Also, now we are digging around and addressing these BMS (Electrodacus) aux control features I checked the data/info on my Inverter (24/3000/70) PDF manual and attached here (top two images) screen shots of the only info I could find relating to remote switching and the connection there of...Screenshot (156).pngScreenshot (157).pngScreenshot (158).png

Just to add to my own confusion here there is also the remote control function using the RJ45 ports (B) shown here.... I have two VE remote control leads purchased at the start of the year 'unopened' for the inverter and Blue solar charger so will compare the plug type ends tomorrow which kind of makes this post semi redundant or matbe someone else is in a quandary...???Screenshot (161).pngScreenshot (162).png

1636167750210.png

So this says there are two wats to control the Orion.
1) A switch across the two terminals. In this case the switch will need to handle 100mA or less.
or
2) A 24V signal on the Right terminal.

The Battery protect supports the same two remote control methods.

Both of these methods can be implemented using the SBMS0

1636168240732.png

If you use the voltage signal method, then you can use the same signal for both the Orion and the BP.

If you use the switch method, the Orion and the BP remote control signals would have to be wired in parallel and I do not know if this works.

As far as I know, the Multiplus Aux1 and Aux2 can only be controlled by the switch method.

View attachment 71463

So this says there are two wats to control the Orion.
1) A switch across the two terminals. In this case the switch will need to handle 100mA or less.
or
2) A 24V signal on the Right terminal.

The Battery protect supports the same two remote control methods.

Both of these methods can be implemented using the SBMS0

View attachment 71466

If you use the voltage signal method, then you can use the same signal for both the Orion and the BP.

If you use the switch method, the Orion and the BP remote control signals would have to be wired in parallel and I do not know if this works.

As far as I know, the Multiplus Aux1 and Aux2 can only be controlled by the switch method.

I am most getting there now with your input here, very grateful and thankful, appreciate it...

Just to add to my own confusion here there is also the remote control function using the RJ45 ports shown here.... I have two VE remote control leads purchased at the start of the year 'unopened' for the inverter and Blue solar charger so will compare the plug type ends tomorrow which kind of makes this post semi redundant or matbe someone else is in a quandary...???View attachment 71464View attachment 71465
The blue header in the picture is for implementing a remote on-off-charge only switch using a On-off-on toggle switch. This is NOT what you want to use for control from the SBMS0

The RJ45 connector will communicate with other Victon devices. This is NOT what you want to use with for control from the SBMS0.

The SBMS 0 should be wired into the AUX1 and AUX2 input and the 2-Signal BMS helper needs to be installed and configured using an MK3 and a computer.

Here is a design that uses the concepts I have discussed. Notice that it uses extio6 as a voltage signal but the other 3 as 'switch' signal.

1636168905404.png

Also note that it only uses the ON and Off function of the remote inverter switch. It does not use the charger-only function.

The Multiplus Aux1 and Aux 2 headers can be seen in the photo below:

1636169542255.png

You might find these useful:

The blue header in the picture is for implementing a remote on-off-charge only switch using a On-off-on toggle switch. This is NOT what you want to use for control from the SBMS0

The RJ45 connector will communicate with other Victon devices. This is NOT what you want to use with for control from the SBMS0.

The SBMS 0 should be wired into the AUX1 and AUX2 input and the 2-Signal BMS helper needs to be installed and configured using an MK3 and a computer.

Here is a design that uses the concepts I have discussed. Notice that it uses extio6 as a voltage signal but the other 3 as 'switch' signal.

View attachment 71470

Also note that it only uses the ON and Off function of the remote inverter switch. It does not use the charger-only function.
Thank you so much here, I'm totally getting it now, so relating to your last diagram, if I use the same supplied voltage method of terms 7&8 (EXT106) on the terms 9&10 (EXT105) going to the VE Orion I can parallel the VE BP with no worries...

So basically the EXT ports 103-106 are 'volt free' contacts which are rated at 50mA and the VE aux switching terms give out a voltage, GOT IT..!!!!

You might find these useful:

Yeah I have these in my files which I have been referring too but hands on verbal help is better ( AKA: Experience..!!)

Thank you so much here, I'm totally getting it now, so relating to your last diagram, if I use the same supplied voltage method of terms 7&8 (EXT106) on the terms 9&10 (EXT105) going to the VE Orion I can parallel the VE BP with no worries...
Yup

Internet, I LOVE YOU or rather this forum is simply the best thing since sliced bread and LURPAK....!!!! Thank you FilterGuy.....

BTW: Th 100K resister
One small question, should these comms wires be twisted pairs going between the SBMSO and VE aux's....?????
It might work if they are not twisted pair..... but I recommend using twisted pair when using the switch method. It makes the signal much more resistant to RF noise and inverters create a LOT of RF noise.

However, when using the supplied voltage method there is only one wire. It is kinda hard to make it a twisted pair of one. :)

Back