diy solar

diy solar

Electrolyte flowing inside LiFePO4 cell

Stan Kopernik

I have EVE LF280K cells and as I rotate the cell, I am hearing fluid (electrolyte) flowing inside. Is this normal for these cells?
If not, what could be causing this? The cells just arrived so I have not tested capacity yet. I don't see any physical damage to the cells either.

Just tipped one of my cells. Very slight gurgle tipped 90 degrees on edge. Not flowing or sloshing.

It's normal. If you look on youtube at one of the videos where one of these cells is disassembled, it will immediately be obvious why; there's liquid surrounding the electrode stacks/laminations inside the metal case

It's normal. If you look on youtube at one of the videos where one of these cells is disassembled, it will immediately be obvious why; there's liquid surrounding the electrode stacks/laminations inside the metal case
You beat me to it. (y) My LF280 EVE cells also have a gurgling sound when I rotate them.

I thought it was supposed to be a paste/gel not watery liquid.

I thought it was supposed to be a paste/gel not watery liquid.
It's a watery liquid and what you hear in your cell is normal. The cell is filled with electrolyte where the over pressure release valve is and then the valve is put in and sealed. Did you watch the video posted above? It clearly shows the electrolyte is watery.

There have been several reports of leaky Lishen 170ah cells and if the manufacturers were using a past/gel the cells would not leak like the reported leaky cells did. There has been one report I am aware of a leaky EVE 280ah cell and several reports of people receiving leaky cells damaged in shipment.

No one knows what the fill specs are but your smaller cells they may have been filled to the top with watery electrolyte or maybe they did use a paste. Specifically what are the smaller cells you have? I do think they use a paste in cylindrical cells but I am not 100% sure about that.

Capacity test your cells. You have the latest EVE variant that I am aware of and I am sure you will be happy.

Back