diy solar

diy solar

Eliminating my utility bill

AbdulSubhan

I have been watching DIY videos for a while, I want to switch to solar I'm a newbie have no idea about electricity but now I'm getting hang of everything spent hours watching videos Mr.Prowse videos

My daily average consumption during summer time is 30 kWh, summer last for a while we need AC to run. It gets 10 kWh per day in winters but I'll be adding electric waters heaters but can defer it.

So building a setup at first I don't have a budget I want to start out low like buy one equipment All in one solar inverter then add in stuff over time.

Here's my future dream model 7000 watts PV array, 8kWh inverter, 30 kWh Lipo battery bank.

I don't have any heavy inductive load other than one 1.5 ton split AC (non-inverter) and an automatic washing machine.

First, I want to go with buying an 8 Kwh Inverter, 4000 watts PV array and 9.6 kWh Lipo Batteries: with this configuration, I'll be reaching a 25-30 kWh battery bank.
and add 3000 watts of PV later sometime in a year.

my question is: What type of All-in-one Inverter I should be looking for in specs to add upgrades later?

with a 30kWh battery and I want to charge that in a single day. 7000 watts PV array / 48 volts 25 kWh batteries = Solar charge controller 145.8 amps.

Am I doing the numbers correct? 145 Amps with the (headroom of 200 amps) is the type of controller should I be looking at in an inverter plus the option to charge the LiPo batteries, just saw not all inverters have the option to charge LiPo batteries.

for math purposes assuming my 7000 watts PV array generates 100% of electricity
In the day time I want to run a 1.5-ton split inverter (rated 1600 watts) + occasionally 1.5 split AC (rated 2000 watts ) + another household load 800 watts) = 4400 watts

so when the Sun is up I'd draw 4600 watts for my load and use the rest to charge the batteries for the night. leaving 2600 watts for my power bank. I understand my batteries won't be charged 100% if they are at zero.

I have an attached report that shows sun peak hours with other data that I don't understand, average hourly profiles are low for mid-summer when the temps are high and I will be using lots of AC what does that mean for my setup.

Attachments

• GSA_Report_Karachi.pdf
    620.8 KB · Views: 5
Also, help me with which type of PV array I should be going for here the popular versions are in 500-600 watts which will require 14 panels of 500 watts each.

Now figure out what happens when you have a few cloudy / rainy days in a row, that's what makes it interesting and expensive.

I have been watching DIY videos for a while, I want to switch to solar I'm a newbie have no idea about electricity but now I'm getting hang of everything spent hours watching videos Mr.Prowse videos

My daily average consumption during summer time is 30 kWh, summer last for a while we need AC to run. It gets 10 kWh per day in winters but I'll be adding electric waters heaters but can defer it.
The question is do you really want to eliminate the Grid or just cut back on the usage?
Those are two vastly different objectives.
So building a setup at first I don't have a budget I want to start out low like buy one equipment All in one solar inverter then add in stuff over time.

Here's my future dream model 7000 watts PV array, 8kWh inverter, 30 kWh Lipo battery bank.
Are these panels roof mounted or ground mounted? If it is 2 story roof mounted array you better get your dream panels up the first time around as it's going to be expensive to change or add to them later on.
It's also better to get the right Inverter on the first go. Batteries can be added as cash allows until you are weaned off the grid.

I don't have any heavy inductive load other than one 1.5 ton split AC (non-inverter) and an automatic washing machine.

First, I want to go with buying an 8 Kwh Inverter, 4000 watts PV array and 9.6 kWh Lipo Batteries: with this configuration, I'll be reaching a 25-30 kWh battery bank.
Sounds good for starting up.
and add 3000 watts of PV later sometime in a year.

my question is: What type of All-in-one Inverter I should be looking for in specs to add upgrades later?
What kind of budget do you have for an Inverter? I would bee looking at an Inverter from MPP solar like two LV6548 or LV6048. If your budget is bigger you can look at Outback, Sol-Ark.
with a 30kWh battery and I want to charge that in a single day. 7000 watts PV array / 48 volts 25 kWh batteries = Solar charge controller 145.8 amps.
7Kwp of PV is not going to charge 30Kwh of batteries and power your house at the same time.
You probably should be looking at 10Kwp of PV. Unless your house is empty during the day.
Am I doing the numbers correct? 145 Amps with the (headroom of 200 amps) is the type of controller should I be looking at in an inverter plus the option to charge the LiPo batteries, just saw not all inverters have the option to charge LiPo batteries.
When you say Lipo batteries do you really mean LiFePo4 batteries or do you really plan on messing with older Lipo batteries? Not that they won't work but the fire hazard is much high with LiPo.
for math purposes assuming my 7000 watts PV array generates 100% of electricity
In the day time I want to run a 1.5-ton split inverter (rated 1600 watts) + occasionally 1.5 split AC (rated 2000 watts ) + another household load 800 watts) = 4400 watts
100% power production only happens for maybe 2-3 hours per day and only on cloudless days in summer. If you want to be off grid your plan must be centered around the worst days, not the best!
Yes your 7Kw array will handle that load on a good day for a few hours per day.
so when the Sun is up I'd draw 4600 watts for my load and use the rest to charge the batteries for the night. leaving 2600 watts for my power bank. I understand my batteries won't be charged 100% if they are at zero.

I have an attached report that shows sun peak hours with other data that I don't understand, average hourly profiles are low for mid-summer when the temps are high and I will be using lots of AC what does that mean for my setup.

When you say Lipo batteries do you really mean LiFePo4 batteries or do you really plan on messing with older Lipo batteries? Not that they won't work but the fire hazard is much high with LiPo.
Or maybe he means LiFePO4 (Lithium iron phosphate)?

Lipo = lithium polymer (aka the explode chemistry)
vs
LiFePo4 = Lithium iron polonium (aka the radioactive isotope chemistry
vs
LibCoJ5 = (something that i just made up)

Now figure out what happens when you have a few cloudy / rainy days in a row, that's what makes it interesting and expensive.
Yes, and to counter that the I need bigger batteries and more PV array which is going to get expensive too, so I would draw from power utility instead,

The question is do you really want to eliminate the Grid or just cut back on the usage?
Those are two vastly different objectives.

Are these panels roof mounted or ground mounted? If it is 2 story roof mounted array you better get your dream panels up the first time around as it's going to be expensive to change or add to them later on.
It's also better to get the right Inverter on the first go. Batteries can be added as cash allows until you are weaned off the grid.

Sounds good for starting up.

What kind of budget do you have for an Inverter? I would bee looking at an Inverter from MPP solar like two LV6548 or LV6048. If your budget is bigger you can look at Outback, Sol-Ark.

7Kwp of PV is not going to charge 30Kwh of batteries and power your house at the same time.
You probably should be looking at 10Kwp of PV. Unless your house is empty during the day.

100% power production only happens for maybe 2-3 hours per day and only on cloudless days in summer. If you want to be off grid your plan must be centered around the worst days, not the best!
Yes your 7Kw array will handle that load on a good day for a few hours per day.

Thank you for replying.

I want to be cutting back on my usage, one more question I want my utility connection to be connected to the inverter, Incase I have a Heavy load I want to switch it to utility. the load is not going to higher than the inverter AC output, If there is sunshine and battery available is it possible for my inverter to divide the load between three power inputs? like battery and solar and grid providing power in combination, or battery and utility or solar and battery? that feature is important for me.

The PV installation is going to be mounted on my second-floor rooftop with an L3 or L2 Structure,

Sol-Ark types inverter are premium they will eat out my budget, I'm talking about Lithium iron phosphate server rack assembled batteries with BMS, Also it's a good idea to instal lithium-ion only?

I won't be adding 30kWh batteries right at first go, it's going to be 10kWh,

Thank you for replying.

I want to be cutting back on my usage, one more question I want my utility connection to be connected to the inverter, Incase I have a Heavy load I want to switch it to utility. the load is not going to higher than the inverter AC output, If there is sunshine and battery available is it possible for my inverter to divide the load between three power inputs? like battery and solar and grid providing power in combination, or battery and utility or solar and battery? that feature is important for me.
Your Welcome.
Those Inverters are going to be much more expensive All in One Inverters Like Sol-Ark and Outback.
I own a Sol-Ark so I can tell you it will use the PV first, if that is not enough it will draw what you allow it to from the batteries and if that is not enough it will draw from the Grid. If the load lightens it will first drop the Grid consumption and if it the Sun provides more power it will drop the battery or if the load goes down it will drop the battery. It is always trying to find a way to use the Most PV and the least amount of Grid power.
Please note if your Grid tied you need equipment that is certified and will be accepted by your utility company. That includes the Inverter and Batteries.
The PV installation is going to be mounted on my second-floor rooftop with an L3 or L2 Structure,

Sol-Ark types inverter are premium they will eat out my budget, I'm talking about Lithium iron phosphate server rack assembled batteries with BMS, Also it's a good idea to instal lithium-ion only?
No it is not a good idea to use Lithium Ion batteries. Most people have moved away from them due to the fire hazard. Your better off with LFP batteries. Added bonus is that LFP batteries will last over 10 years and most likely 13 years of daily 80% discharge/recharge usage
I won't be adding 30kWh batteries right at first go, it's going to be 10kWh,
Sounds like a good plan, I also started out at 10KWh.

Back