diy solar

diy solar

Emergency backup for medical equipment system design

Simplest/cheapest manual transfer switch is an interlock mounted on your breaker panel.
For about $50 it is a piece of sheetmetal which blocks main breaker on "off" position allowing an adjacent breaker to turn on, allowing backfeed.

Square D also sells a small breaker panel with 100A and 30A breakers interlocked. That lets you have select circuits on the backup.

Those inverter generators don't last long.
And the ethanol in the gas makes them a pita to maintain.
The carbs get gummed up.
Also storing gas is a problem.
Suggest you get a dual fuel one and run off of propane.
Also its probably best not to load more than ~66 percent.

I may agree with the limited life of generators, inverter or not, but I may disagree with why.

IMHO the most wearing portion of such units, particular for the invertor generators, which if taken care of will run a very long time, is gasoline--which of course was mentioned.

I strongly recommend that you run a propane or natural gas unit. If you need guidance on how to convert an existing one please respond back (I am NOT in this business----I've just done it--my advice is gratis.)

Gasoline stores poorly (6 months), you can't get it after the power's gone out and the gas station, also out of power, can't pump it, and it, as mentioned, can gum up carburetors.

Still more, depending on the size of your propane tank(s) you may not need to have your wife refill the generator as frequently, with otherwise smelly and dirty gasoline on a hot engine.

May your ALS have as little effect on the quality of your life for as long as possible: prayers.

Generator is "young" but I get your points. I have Stabil in everything now. Haven't had a chance yet but, Wawa gas stations have ethanol free pumps. if I was not paralyzed I would jump on the Propane option. the list of things I have for my son is too long right now. will keep you in mind. Thank you.

An update on the system. After adding medical systems circuit to the backup system, we started a test. Switched to battery only last night and the system ran for 10.5 hours to get to 32% battery remaining. At this point the generator was started and brought the battery from 32% to 100% in 2.5 hours. I am having too much fun. Can't wait for a real power outage.
1610064488407.png

Back