diy solar

diy solar

Emergency inverter for well and refrigerators - Opinions on the SunGold inverters or suggestions for other manufacturer?

toows

I have a Gould 240v 1hp deep well pump with 8amp running current and 24a locked rotor current. I'm looking for an inverter I can use to power the pump and some 120vac refrigerators intermittently. I am looking at the SUNGOLDPOWER 6000W Max 18000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger Input 240VAC Split Phase 120V 240V Output Solar Wind Power Inverters 90A DC 24V Converter for this application, using a two battery (eventually 4 battery) 24VDC bank. Two 100a-H batteries to begin with and an addition of two more 100 a-h batteries when I' have the $$.

Any experience with the reliability of the SUNGOLD POWER split phase inverter for this type of application? Any other suggestions for an inverter? This would be used with a manual transfer switch, where the pump would be run to fill tanks, then switched over to run a few refrigerators when power is lost. I know 48VDC would be better, but an inverter and two batteries are what I can spring for now.

I have the Gould 240v 1hp 3 wire well pump (150' deep) and a inverter fridge and large 20cf upright freezer. I just added a 4kw sungold inverter as a 24v emergency power system located in a separate solar shed. Gould's, OK really Franklin motor's installation manual recommends a 4kw generator to start a 1hp 240V motor. Many here will go wait what.

The motor starter used with Franklin motors 3 wire well motors has a large capacitor installed in a starting circuit. This in a box mounted above ground. That starting circuit with capacitor handles the inrush. It recharges as the motor runs. I'm using the 4KW SunGold inverter basically to provide emergency power for the well for 30 minutes a day run time and run a washer. The 4KW Sungold uses 54 watts in standby (I verified that BTW) which adds 1KW a day if used to run everything.

While the Sungold inverter can and will easily run everything, I added a separate 2kw HF inverter for the fridge freezer. The 2KW easily handles the inrush from the freezer while only having a 21 watt/h standby loss. The 22cf inverter Fridge (LG) does not have inrush but steps from 40 watts, to 80 and 120 watts. Very nice for solar I'm using the sungold inverter on demand with a remote switch for showers and recharging the 80 gallon bladder tank.

I do not have a storage tank as at 8 GPM out of the well it would take too long filling daily usage every other day. Let alone once a week. I run the well pump direct without a separate storage tank and 24v DC pump. But that's for only two people. I have DIY 24v Lifepo4 batteries (60280) with JBD BMS, tied in parallel. The JBD shunts are not 100 percent accurate. Close only. But the Battery and cell voltages track between the batteries to same 0.01 (JBD and VO meter) accuracy. Each has a seperate breaker and both are connected to a victron charge controller for Low temp disconnect. I don't trust the temp sensors on each JBD will disconnect and reconnect as the same time.

I have a 30amp 240V cable with plug ends to connect to a transfer switch that has a male plug. The SunGold is only if we loose Shore power. It easily would run everything but I find the standby power a bit high for 24/7 operation.. The HF inverter runs the Fridge / freezer 24/7. I only have 1200W's of panels and 220 amps ish of batteries. Using the sungold inverter for everything takes another hour to top up the batteries just from standby losses, which really annoys the engineer (retired) in me.

Last edited:
I really appreciate your detailed response. Your approach is in line with what I was thinking for an emergency set-up. I expect the 4kw SunGold would do the job for me as well. I was thinking of the 6kw because I know at some point I will wish I had more capability, but that goes beyond my stated need. I was eyeing the new HF Jupiter 2kw pure sine wave inverter as an interim option for the chest refrigerator and another refrigerator I have. I have to check their loads and be certain it meets the need. I'm guessing it would. The only problem I have with that is the HF inverter is 12v and I want 24v. Given it's for emergency use, I could change the battery configuration from 24 to 12 as needed I suppose. Battery cost remains a problem, so two separate systems aren't in the picture for me.

How long have you had the SunGold and where did you purchase it from? I was looking at Amazon when I was looking for an inverter with those specs.

And yah, the lower efficiency of the SunGold is annoying, but I guess you only get so much in an "inexpensive" unit. Perhaps prices will drop somewhat, like batteries have to a certain extent, or quality for the $$ will improve as more people look at having a 240v split phase capability.

I also run my 1hp deep-well pump off solar, and I'm using an Schneider XW+ 6848 inverter. Handles the starting surge just fine, and background consumption by the inverter is only ~30W/hour. That was with a 48V bank of Trojan L-16 batteries charged by 4500W of solar. During construction, I've simuletaneouly ran the 240V pump, and cement mixer, and a 1hp circular saw at the same time

Attachments

• DSC02180.JPG
    DSC02180.JPG
    837.9 KB · Views: 8
We've only had the Sun Gold installed a few months, though solar for a year. Purchased off Amazon. Good followup by the sun gold folks as well.

Hello, new to the solar thing. Looking at a 48 volt split phase inverter, with a couple 48v batteries. I'm wanting to be able to run a deep well 220v pump, a couple freezers, and couple refrigerators, and a circulation pump for my wood boiler. Any suggestions?
Looking at Sungold power and watts24/7.
Looking for any input.

Hello, new to the solar thing. Looking at a 48 volt split phase inverter, with a couple 48v batteries. I'm wanting to be able to run a deep well 220v pump, a couple freezers, and couple refrigerators, and a circulation pump for my wood boiler. Any suggestions?
Looking at Sungold power and watts24/7.
Looking for any input.
Buy a clamp meter, ammeter, and measure your loads including surge/inrush.
I'm using this meter, that is on sale for $35 right now. A great deal. AmazonCommercial 600A AC/DC Clamp Meter, True RMS, NCV, Flashlight, 6000 Count https://a.co/d/jfVUz1D

Once you know your loads, size your inverter.

I purchased my TP6048 direct through sungold, it delivered in under 2 weeks. Had I done more homework here I may have purchased from W247 or CC in order to support US and have better support if needed.

Ps don't hesitate to use the search feature. There's a plethora of information.

Buy a clamp meter, ammeter, and measure your loads including surge/inrush.
I'm using this meter, that is on sale for $35 right now. A great deal. AmazonCommercial 600A AC/DC Clamp Meter, True RMS, NCV, Flashlight, 6000 Count https://a.co/d/jfVUz1D

Once you know your loads, size your inverter.

I purchased my TP6048 direct through sungold, it delivered in under 2 weeks. Had I done more homework here I may have purchased from W247 or CC in order to support US and have better support if needed.

Ps don't hesitate to use the search feature. There's a plethora of information.
Thank you very much for replying. I do have a amp clamp. Just thought, someone else has had to do a similar build. I saw some complaints about w247, actually being able to talk to tech support. I'm not familiar with CC.
Thank again

Thank you very much for replying. I do have a amp clamp. Just thought, someone else has had to do a similar build. I saw some complaints about w247, actually being able to talk to tech support. I'm not familiar with CC.
Thank again
CC = current connected, I ordered my buss bars and a clearance BMS (backup) through them, fast shipping smooth transaction.
The owner is an active member on the forum.

Back