diy solar

diy solar

Energus Tiny BMS - User Experiences?

hankcurt

Solar Enthusiast
I'm trying to find anyone who can relate their experience in using any of the "Tiny BMS" products from Energus Power Solutions. I've searched through the forums without much success. Searching 'Tiny' and 'BMS' gets a bunch of posts on unrelated subjects. I did find forum members such as @Sebastián Reckziegel , @Craig, @KC7NOA, @schroederjd, and @CheezWiz who have purchased or planned to purchase a Tiny BMS. However, I really haven't found any feedback on the forum as to how it has been performing.

I'm interested in the normal stuff:
Are cell voltage readings accurate?​
Is coulomb counting performance acceptable?​
Balancing on these is minimal, has it caused any issues?​
Does low temp cut off work?​
Tiny BMS caught my attention because it has very good documentation on CAN and Modbus communication, I want to use something with external relays for power control, and the pricing puts it somewhat cheaper than REC or Orion, but more expensive than Chargery, which is why I want to confirm that it has not been known to suffer from any of the shortcomings that the current Chargery versions appear to have.

My plan is to eventually use it for battery data collection to a PLC , but use it for battery pack protection until I have enough play time to build that system.

Prior to my purchasing the Chargery BMS and starting down that path, I was very seriously considering TinyBMS. I read many good things about them on other sites (this one did not exist yet). The other Major Contender for me, was the Bestech HS017 & HS-015.

Ironically, I have outgrown the Chargery BMS' already. Their inability to interoperate with Inverter/Charger & SCC is problematic, especially when there are more than two packs it's get's problematic, I run 4 Packs now and with more on the way, I'm head butting concrete (or so it feels).

I'm currently in discussion with BesTech for multiple units, I have not decided on the 15 or the 17. I'm posting the images to the two models as it explains much more than words... note the connections and I think that says most of what needs saying. Heating / Cooling Relays ? I'm Deeply North - heating.... Note these are not low cost "value BMS" although that may be obvious.

The HS-015 (bestechpower.com)
202042035046814.jpg

The HS-017 (bestechpower.com)
20204205403260.jpg

Prior to my purchasing the Chargery BMS and starting down that path, I was very seriously considering TinyBMS. I read many good things about them on other sites (this one did not exist yet). The other Major Contender for me, was the Bestech HS017 & HS-015.

Ironically, I have outgrown the Chargery BMS' already. Their inability to interoperate with Inverter/Charger & SCC is problematic, especially when there are more than two packs it's get's problematic, I run 4 Packs now and with more on the way, I'm head butting concrete (or so it feels).

I'm currently in discussion with BesTech for multiple units, I have not decided on the 15 or the 17. I'm posting the images to the two models as it explains much more than words... note the connections and I think that says most of what needs saying. Heating / Cooling Relays ? I'm Deeply North - heating.... Note these are not low cost "value BMS" although that may be obvious.

The HS-015 (bestechpower.com)
202042035046814.jpg

The HS-017 (bestechpower.com)
20204205403260.jpg
I wanted to ask you if you finally bought any of these models.

I am also looking at them but I have been asking for a week for price and at no time have they provided it.

I have also not been answered if I can use them in 8S and 16S and if they can be put in parallel.

The truth is that I like them because you can control the heating and ventilation from the same card and it also seems to work from 4s to 16s.

I exchanged a fair bit of info with Bestech and it was a waste of time. They have no interest in individuals or small businesses. It took quite a bit of effort to even get technical info as their reps do not know their products "technically". Real Shame, seemed like a perfect answer to several things. Ohh well, if they are not interested in selling their products because theyare afraid of Customer Service & Support they are not worth the effort.

I thought I was talking to some sales person with no interest in selling to me. It seems to be the rule, even though I had ordered 50 units.

I understand that for them it is a ridiculous order if they have customers who buy 500 or 5000 units per month.

I have been told that I ask too many questions and that they are afraid to sell to me because I will have doubts and they have no technical service.

I found this bms that I attach photo in a store that has everything inside, control board, sensors and relay and can be put in parallel up to 32 units.

You do not need Master and Slave, as you connect it makes master and slave and is also compatible with all hybrid and victron, sma, etc..

But I am not able to find it anywhere if not in the store that sells it.

They call it Rex BMS but there is no trace of it on the internet.

Attachments

• BMS complete.png
    BMS complete.png
    139 KB · Views: 17
  • BMS1.jpg
    BMS1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back