diy solar

diy solar

energy production/consumption config

Cosmini

hello solar wizards,

currently, I have a perfectly (newbie grin) designed & usable system for my current needs and consumption (main components below):
-- 400W solar panels,
-- a Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT 100V 30 amp 12/24-Volt SCC (sending energy at 30 amps tops)
--12V 300A CHINS LiFeO4 battery (charging at max 30 Amps)
--2000W Inverter.

Looking in the future, I would like to add more panels and use the extra solar energy to power more devices (above the 30Amps max current battery charge) -- basically sending the extra Amps produced from solar, to devices rather than the battery max amp charge -- at least during daytime/sunlight hours -- while minimizing the extra expenses into additional other devices.

Is this possible with the current setup or with minimal extra electronics/devices? or bigger batteries/SCC's and/or GroWatts are the typical solutions !? (on an initial take, it seems the hard limitation is the Victron SCC at 30Amps, but also the battery max charge amps)

thank you kindly for any thoughts --
Cosmin

Last edited:
hello grand wizards,

In the U.S. "grand wizard" has a very negative connotation.

No thank you.

currently, I have a perfectly (newbie grin) designed & usable system for my current needs and consumption (main components below):
-- 400W solar panels,
-- a Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT 100V 30 amp 12/24-Volt SCC (sending energy at 30 amps tops)
--12V 300A CHINS LiFeO4 battery (charging at max 30 Amps)
--2000W Inverter.

Looking in the future, I would like to add more panels and use the extra solar energy to power more devices (above the 30Amps max current battery charge) -- basically sending the extra Amps produced from solar, to devices rather than the battery max amp charge -- at least during daytime/sunlight hours -- while minimizing the extra expenses into additional other devices.

Is this possible with the current setup or with minimal extra electronics/devices?

Generally, no. The SCC is the limiting factor - never more than 30A out regardless if it's going to batteries or loads.

or bigger batteries/SCC's and/or GroWatts are the typical solutions !?

No/Yes/yes.

(on an initial take, it seems the hard limitation is the Victron SCC at 30Amps, but also the battery max charge amps)

Yep.

thank you kindly for any illuminating ideas --
Cosmin

thank you kindly @sunshine_eggo -- the fast, informative reply is much appreciated.
Sorry, did not mean anything through my greeting but I now realize. It was only meant as a form of reverence to the knowledge that this forum and folks such as yourself bring to the newbies like me. :)

<Generally, no. The SCC is the limiting factor - never more than 30A out regardless if it's going to batteries or loads.>>
so if I get a Victron 100V/50Amps instead (of the current 30A), how can I tweak the setup, so that 30A go to the battery charge and the rest to other appliances -- if that is even feasible, at all !?

cheers and many thanks again,
Cosmin

Last edited:
Solar panels don't really provide power to appliances. They charge batteries and the batteries provide power to appliances.

I would get more panels and an additional SCC. Just wire the new panels to the new SCC and send it to your battery. BTW, I can't find a CHINS 300Ah LiFePO4 that has a 30A charge limit.

Solar panels don't really provide power to appliances. They charge batteries and the batteries provide power to appliances.

I would get more panels and an additional SCC. Just wire the new panels to the new SCC and send it to your battery. BTW, I can't find a CHINS 300Ah LiFePO4 that has a 30A charge limit.
yes, that's what I was afraid, that it's basically a scale-out proposition only, a DIY kind of stuff, with more batteries and more SCCs, because panels don't power appliances, very well said --

This is the battery I'm talking about and from the manufacturer, they are saying to charge at max 30Amps, but re-reading the manual now, it states a charge of 100Amps max:

Last edited:
yes, that's what I was afraid, that it's basically a scale-out proposition only, a DIY kind of stuff, with more batteries and more SCCs, because panels don't power appliances, very well said --

This is the battery I'm talking about and from the manufacturer, they are saying to charge at max 30Amps, but re-reading the manual now, it states a charge of 100Amps max:
I'm reading recommended charge of 60A and max of 120A. So you have a lot of headroom there.

LiFePO4 battery internal structure​

12.8V 300AH LiFePO4 battery specifications​

• Rated Capacity (0.2C): 300Ah / 3840Wh, impedance: ≤ 5mΩ
  • Charge voltage: 14.2V~14.6V, Rated voltage: 12.8V
  • Max Depth of Discharge (DoD): 100%
  • Max charge current: 120A
  • Max continuous discharge current: 200A
  • Peak discharge current: 600A (Duration: less than 5 seconds)
  • Standard charge current: 60A, Charging time approximately 6 hours
  • Operating temperatures: Charge 0°C~50°C(32°F~122°F), Discharge -20°C~60°C(-4°F~140°F), Storage -20°C~50°C(-4°F~122°F)

Back