diy solar

diy solar

Energy Storage Neighborhood

The two closest to me are "chilled water" sites, to provide cooling during outages:

The Shell Point Retirement Village utilizes three 1,200-ton centrifugal chillers to provide chilled water during off-peak hours and three 1,200/920-ton ice-making chillers for use during off-peak hours. There is 1,640,806 sqft of conditioned space from both The Island and the new Woodlands facilities. When the central plant loses power, (during a hurricane for instance) there is enough onsite generating capacity to run pumps required to use stored ice for cooling for 24 hr.

Hey danielfp248, the one in Clearwater is a zinc bromide battery system:
The ZBB EnerSystem includes the ZBB EnerSection power and energy control center, a ZBB EnerStore 50 kWh Zinc-bromide flow battery module and customer-provided lead acid batteries. The ZBB EnerSection provides a completely integrated energy management platform ready for interconnection to a range of configurable energy sources including PV and other power outputs. This system will be used for load management and peak shaving while providing continuous power and energy regulation supply while connected to the grid. http://lemaconstruction.com/portfolio/city-of-st-petersburg-solar-parks-project/
I didn't realize any were in commercial production.

... and a ton of hydro on the Catawba river basin...
Based on the map, doesn't look like there's any pumped storage on the Catawba river basin, could be some good opportunity there. Closest is:

The four-unit Jocassee Hydroelectric Station is a 710-megawatt pumped-storage generating facility located in Pickens County, S.C. The facility works much like a conventional hydroelectric station, except that it can reverse turbines and pump back previously used water from a lower lake to store potential energy for later. The Jocassee facility typically generates power during times of peak electric demand. In the Carolinas, peaks are usually on hot summer afternoons and cold winter mornings during the work week. Water power uses no fuel in the generation of electricity and so has very low operating costs. (ref)
Untitled-1-Hi.jpg

Li-Cycle to open lithium battery recycling facility in Phoenix​

ref
Lithium battery recycler Li-Cycle Corp. will build its third commercial lithium-ion battery recycling facility in North America, to be located in Gilbert, Arizona, within the Phoenix metropolitan area. It will join Li-Cycle’s existing facilities in Rochester, New York, and Kingston, Ontario...The facility will be capable of processing up to 10,000 tonnes of end-of-life batteries and battery manufacturing scrap per year...builds on Li-Cycle’s roadmap to construct 20 Spokes globally over the next five years.

The map shows some interesting commercial and demonstration projects in New York City.

The U.S. Department of Energy's website for this data explains who runs this project (Honeywell) and what it's about. Unsurprisingly, the data is fairly U.S.-centric, at least that's my impression from looking at map results for four other countries that I'm quite familiar with.

I was a bit surprised to see no entries for Henderson, Nevada, where there are a couple of active lithium battery storage companies, including one that says that it will start manufacturing LiFeMgPO4 batteries there this summer, with a target of over 10 million per year.

Still, it's an interesting project and map.

409MW / 900MWh project, FPL Manatee Energy Storage Center in Manatee County

The first batteries are now being installed in what is claimed to be the world’s biggest solar-charged battery storage project, by utility company Florida Power & Light (FPL). FPL said that in addition to resulting in carbon dioxide emissions reductions, the Manatee battery project will also save its customers some US$100 million over the lifetime of the project by offsetting fuel costs and running on sunshine.

FPL installed 132 battery storage containers for the largest solar-powered battery
in the world. Each container weighs approximately 38 tons and is roughly 36 feet long by 11
feet in height and width. Each unit weighs approximately 38 tons, is roughly 36 feet long by
11 feet in height and width, and will hold roughly 400 battery modules, the batteries are
lithium-ion.

...to accelerate the retirement of aging natural gas units... [ref]

For decades, FPL’s 15-story smokestacks in Parrish have been a landmark that could be
seen for miles across the East Manatee landscape. They ... have become obsolete and are
scheduled to be taken down in two years. [ref]
5SIJYYFTONFS5MZWP7V4MPGXSE.bmp

Last edited:

World’s biggest solar-charged battery storage system unveiled in Florida​

20210812-FPL-Manatee-0464-768x512.jpg

Work has been completed on the largest battery energy storage system (BESS) to have been paired with solar PV to date, with utility Florida Power & Light (FPL) holding a ceremony earlier this week.

Construction on the Manatee Energy Storage Center in Florida’s Manatee County was completed in just 10 months, having begun in February this year. The 409MW / 900MWh BESS is colocated with FPL’s existing 74.5MW Manatee Solar Energy Center ground-mounted PV plant.

This was particularly encouraging:
... around a third of solar projects in US grid interconnection queues planned to include energy storage as of the end of 2020...

Canton, NY (almost in my backyard - 7 miles is close when you live north of nowhere)
SUNY campus project - wind turbine with lifepo4 storage

info is old (2011) and talks about the project being on hold waiting for grant approvals.
I may have missed it but I haven't seen anything in the local news and quick Google searches haven't come up with any results.
I'll have to go and look in person to see if there's a wind turbine

Back