diy solar

diy solar

ENJ Power for Heltec/JK BMS

UV-PWRD

I have a JK BMS (2a active balancer model) and I would like to be able to monitor the BMS remotely, I can see no way of configuring alarms and having them emailed/pushed? While I wait for an answer from JK, I was going to leave a phone in my solar cabinet to run the app and remote in to it, but the app only seems to run on my S10 and not my spare S7 edge (Android 8).

My 2 questions;

- Has anyone had success running it on older hardware? I tried Bluestacks 4 and 5 also without success.
- Is there a way to configure alarms to be emailed/pushed in any way?

I'm quite happy with the BMS otherwise.

Cheers

LOL Hey I'm new too... looking for basically the same thing. The JKS BMS does provide a serial comms documentation kindly shared by jblance's project on github but the documentation is very limited. There's just a few query commands but nothing that allows you to set the advanced parameters that can be done via the Android app.

If someone has the skills to recompile the android app I'm sure it's possible to find all of the rest of the commands available over BLE... the app is built using Qt5 by the looks of it if that helps anyone.

Hi,

I have a JK BMS (2a active balancer model) and I would like to be able to monitor the BMS remotely, I can see no way of configuring alarms and having them emailed/pushed? While I wait for an answer from JK, I was going to leave a phone in my solar cabinet to run the app and remote in to it, but the app only seems to run on my S10 and not my spare S7 edge (Android 8).

My 2 questions;

- Has anyone had success running it on older hardware? I tried Bluestacks 4 and 5 also without success.
- Is there a way to configure alarms to be emailed/pushed in any way?

I'm quite happy with the BMS otherwise.

Cheers

I'm running the ENJPower app on a Huawei Y7 which has Android 7. Remote via a local Win8 PC using scrcpy or Teamviewer (depends which one pi$$es me off the least - currently scrcpy is the better). App loses the BMS at least once a day, but only needs a rescan, usually. Both remote progams disconnect from the phone, but restarting the scrcpy proggie, or reconnecting Teamviewer, mostly is enough. Unusual to need to reboot the phone, so it should be OK for very remote situations.

My BMS & battery is in the garage, which is about 15m away. Remote PC is next to the phone, connected via USB. Teamviewer connects via WiFi. scrcpy is supposed to be able to use WiFi too, but can't remember if I've had that working. USB is connected to keep the phone charged. scrcpy turns off the screen when running, so it stays at 100% charged. When using TV, I dim the screen, but have to turn that back up if I'm local. With scrpy, I press the power button to turn on the screen locally.

I also used a program called OBS Studio to do a screen recording sometimes. Handy, as the ENJPower app has no data logging.

I connect to the remote PC via Remote Desktop, sometimes Teamviewer.

dRdoS7

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm running the ENJPower app on a Huawei Y7 which has Android 7. Remote via a local Win8 PC using scrcpy or Teamviewer (depends which one pi$$es me off the least - currently scrcpy is the better). App loses the BMS at least once a day, but only needs a rescan, usually. Both remote progams disconnect from the phone, but restarting the scrcpy proggie, or reconnecting Teamviewer, mostly is enough. Unusual to need to reboot the phone, so it should be OK for very remote situations.

My BMS & battery is in the garage, which is about 15m away. Remote PC is next to the phone, connected via USB. Teamviewer connects via WiFi. scrcpy is supposed to be able to use WiFi too, but can't remember if I've had that working. USB is connected to keep the phone charged. scrcpy turns off the screen when running, so it stays at 100% charged. When using TV, I dim the screen, but have to turn that back up if I'm local. With scrpy, I press the power button to turn on the screen locally.

I also used a program called OBS Studio to do a screen recording sometimes. Handy, as the ENJPower app has no data logging.

dRdoS7
All my elements will be inside fireproof metal boxes, so it looks like Bluetooth is out for me. Looks like I am going to have to leverage VE Direct for the Victron shunt, and RS485 for the BMS. DMI inc seems to have them successfully connected to a Raspberry Pi, so I will try that route.

Laying out my DC box now, which will connect to the battery box. Two 48V to 12V transformers for the heating pads, two heating pad on/off switches, positive terminal block with fuses to each 48V battery BMS, A Victron 500amp to monitor both batteries, and the raspberry Pi with Jblance code for comms and control.

I made a bussbar directly attached to each side of the Victron from solid copper bar.

Attachments

• 20210504_203723.jpg
    20210504_203723.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210504_203642.jpg
    20210504_203642.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 68
Hi,

dRdoS7
Establishing remote connectivity requires actions taken on the phone side though doesn't it? It always did from my testing. Which is finea static display PC or something.

My BMS is in a locked metal cabinet away from my house. My plan was either have a phone in the cabinet and remote connect to it with a spare PC sitting in the house, say with team viewer. but that doesn't give me access anywhere, just in the house. I can then RDP that machine from anywhere but the teamviewer connection gets upset when you log in and out of the box via RDP and requires re-authentication on the phone end.

I want to be able to monitor the BMS while I'm away from the house/at work. I now have the Heltec RS485 cable so I think I'll try that on a PC directly in the box that I can RDP to any time and will keep my session live with I disconnect, it will also allow me to use the desktop version of watch power.

Establishing remote connectivity requires actions taken on the phone side though doesn't it? It always did from my testing. Which is finea static display PC or something.

My BMS is in a locked metal cabinet away from my house. My plan was either have a phone in the cabinet and remote connect to it with a spare PC sitting in the house, say with team viewer. but that doesn't give me access anywhere, just in the house. I can then RDP that machine from anywhere but the teamviewer connection gets upset when you log in and out of the box via RDP and requires re-authentication on the phone end.

I want to be able to monitor the BMS while I'm away from the house/at work. I now have the Heltec RS485 cable so I think I'll try that on a PC directly in the box that I can RDP to any time and will keep my session live with I disconnect, it will also allow me to use the desktop version of watch power.
I did not know they have an oem cable. Can you post a link to the heltec RS485 cable where you bought it?

I did not know they have an oem cable. Can you post a link to the heltec RS485 cable where you bought it?
Here you go,

Note, I have not tested it yet and you will need a USB RS485 adapter.

I tried a cheap RS232 adapter for the PC to watch power and it's very flakey so I will buy a better one, the 485 adapter I got was a "good" one, DSD or something, $25AUD so I assume it will be decent.

Edit: this one.

Last edited:
Hi,

Only need to take action on the phone the first time with scrcpy. Once TV Host is installed on the phone, and added to the account, no more action, usually, is required.

I have the RS485 from JK, and a USB adaptor, but haven't got around to setting it up.

dRdoS7

No software, I have only just wired it. JK said to use Serial Debug Assistant, but so far I'm unable to get any data out of it, it opens the port but nothing happens. Grafana was also mentioned and I'll take a look at "jblance" though it appears to be for talking to the inverter. I'm wanting to talk to the BMS.

For what it's worth, the RS232 cable I got appears to be shitty, I managed to get watch power to "see" the inverter once briefly and not since then, I have rebooted the machine and also the inverter without success - but the RS232 USB adapter is a cheapo, the RS485 cable for the BMS was a decent DSD-Tech one.

Full disclosure, I've done heaps of IT (20yrs+) but almost nothing with Com based devices beyond sending basic commands to dial up modems back in the day and accessing Cisco routers CLI which just "works" as far as the Com component goes.

Oh I'm also assuming I have wired the SH-U10 correctly, it has A, B and then 2 grounds and a 5v output. The JK cable has A, B, and a single ground. So I took a punt and wired it to the ground closest to the A, B terminals, I am yet to try swapping it to the other if there's any difference in those.

Cheers I'll take a look. I do wonder if the issue is at the com level.

No, DD A5 04 00 FF FC 77 did not invoke a response either.

I am assuming the 2 ground pins on the SH-U10 are the same though as I have not tried the second. I can see a power LED on the adaptor and the TX flash occasionally

1620296796058.png.

There's a send as hex option you can check or uncheck, I've tried both

SL being silicon labs?

If so I grabbed a driver install package directly from them.

I'll try again in a moment.

Back