diy solar

diy solar

EnPhase Combiner Box

SYKSolar

Does anyone use Enphase Combiner Box 4 ? I am debating of using which one should I use Combiner Box 3, 3-ES, or 4 and I couldn't figure out the differences but they cost the same. I assumed newer Box 4 is better and I am using Q cells 360W integrated with IQ7+.

I was on the phone with Tech Support all day. The same boat as you except trying to transfer ownership is a major PITA!
Once the location changes the warranty is dead. I didn't know that but at least we can now program Iq7s for "no export" back to the grid. You know what that means :)

The real change between combiner box 3 and 4+ is the fact that you can screw/lock down the breakers which will be energized by batteries/PV solar only.
The code requires that breakers that are "back feeding" the bus bar in this combiner box should be screwed/locked down.
That is the only technical difference between combiner 3 & 4 afaik.

Enphase IQ Combiner Box 3:

• Supports up to three IQ series microinverters.
  • Includes an Envoy for communication and control.
  • Provides production metering and optional consumption monitoring.
  • Breaker slots for up to four 20A breakers.
  • NEMA type 3R outdoor rated enclosure.
Enphase IQ Combiner Box 4:

• Supports up to four IQ series microinverters.
  • Breaker slots for up to four 20A breakers.
  • LTE-M1 cellular modem (optional).
Enphase IQ Combiner Box 5:

• Supports up to four IQ series microinverters.
  • Breaker slots for up to four 2-pole input circuits.
  • Eaton BR series busbar assembly.
  • Three Enphase IQ Envoy circuit breakers.
In summary, the main differences between the three versions are the number of supported microinverters, the inclusion of a cellular modem in the Combiner 4, and the addition of Eaton BR series busbar assembly and three Enphase IQ Envoy circuit breakers in the Combiner 5. Also IQ8s can be used in 4s+ mostly likely from the difference in the Communication card

Last edited:
The real change between combiner box 3 and 4+ is the fact that you can screw/lock down the breakers which will be energized by batteries/PV solar only.
The code requires that breakers that are "back feeding" the bus bar in this combiner box should be screwed/locked down.
That is the only technical difference between combiner 3 & 4 afaik.
I think 4 is better suited since it also removes its limitations of excluding the iq8 either by firmware or hardware. Not sure of which one but we can't push firmware updates to find out.

I went with the Combiner 4. It is more compatible with the newer micros and System Controller if/when I decide to add a battery bank.

Back