diy solar

diy solar

Enphase Ensemble or SolarEdge Energy Hub

Byjefsm

I am trying to decide between the Enphase Emsemble Solar Backup system and the SolarEdge Energy Hub. Both systems seem to have their pluses and minuses. I like the like the Grid agnostic capabilities that the ensemble has in backup mode and am wondering if the SolarEdge Energy hub operates in a similar manner. The Enphase system seems to have a heirarcy in backup that will pull from the sun, if available, first to power backup circuits. If their is addition power available from the PV's it will charge the battery, if required. If PV's are producing more power than can be consumed by the backup circuits or battery, the system selectively shuts down micro inverters at the PV's to balance PV output with required load which is why it is called a grid agnostic system by Enphase. Unlike Tesla which in back up mode primarily uses the battery to drive backup circuits and will shut down the the PV's entirely if the battery in 90% or greater charged, I have been told that the SolarEdge Energy Hub operates more like the Enphase Ensemble. That is they first look to the sun power back up circuits, then if there is excess available, they charge the battery, if excess power is still available the ground individual optimisers. I like the Enphase solution as it looks like it is a little more user friendly but it is a a/c coupled system which is less efficient that the d/c coupled system that SolarEdge offers. Can anyone clarify for me if SolarEdge is like the Enphase Ensemble or more like the Tesla approach.

I've blogged about my Ensemble system here, happy to answer any questions.

...the system selectively shuts down micro inverters at the PV's to balance PV output ...
Enphase can shut down or throttle individual microinverters to fine-tune power.

... I like the Enphase solution ... but it is a a/c coupled system which is less efficient that the d/c coupled system that SolarEdge offers.
Don't forget to multiply the 99% inverter efficiency by the 98.8% optimizer efficiency....makes it a lot closer to Enphase's overall efficiency.

One of the things I like about Enphase is if one microinverters goes out no big deal, I'm out one panel. If the Solar Edge inverter goes out, you've no power until the replacement arrives.

Back