diy solar

diy solar

Enphase microinverter powered by 24Volt battery bank which is conected to solar and wind turbine can I do this?

maddog77

Enphase microinverter powered by 24Volt battery bank which is conected to solar and wind turbine can I do this? I have a 21 year old system solar panels and wind turbine that I instlled before Y2K remember thatt It feeda a 24 Volt battery pack. CAN I connect a micro inverter to the battery pack and plug the microinverter AC out to a 240 outlet?? or will it fry. I did this system a long time ago and i am old do'nt have the time or enrgy to rewire everything but if I counld safely connect a enphase microinverter to the battery pack I could at least feed a little power back into the grid. The system now is just sitting everything works I just do'nt use it any more.

Depends on what you are trying to achieve? If you want to donate your unused power to the grid, yep, a grid inverter (e.g. microinverter with current limiting circuitry on the 24V side) will do that.
If you want to use the power yourself instead of paying for the grid, just go to your local camping store and buy a normal 24V inverter. Connect it and plug in your laptop, coffee machine or hair dryer, depending on the battery size (not mentioned) and the power requirement of your 240V appliances (not mentioned)....

...I have a 21 year old system solar panels and wind turbine that I instlled before Y2K remember thatt It feeda a 24 Volt battery pack. ... just sitting everything works I just do'nt use it any more.
How much peak power does this this old system produce?

You may want to look for posts on the forum that discuss the GTIL2 (grid tie only) inverters which I believe would work in place of the microinverter option you mentioned.

be careful and do not connect an enphase directly to a battery without some kind of current limiter. Maybe they changed it with an IQ7 but with the M215, it will short out the microinverter.

The problem with using any grid-tied inverter connected to a battery rather than solar is they're not voltage sources. So rather than draw upon power from a battery as needed as an off-grid inverter would do, they'll try to suck the power out of the batteries and push it upstream. If connected to the grid it will go outside the home as fast as the inverter can convert it. If not connected to the grid it will probably just jack up the voltage until it faults.

The problem with using any grid-tied inverter connected to a battery rather than solar is they're not voltage sources. So rather than draw upon power from a battery as needed as an off-grid inverter would do, they'll try to suck the power out of the batteries and push it upstream. If connected to the grid it will go outside the home as fast as the inverter can convert it. If not connected to the grid it will probably just jack up the voltage until it faults.
The microinverters have export control. You can throttle it back to zero if you have the IQ Gateway and App to change the settings. I'm hoping the same is true with Hoymiles. Then it's just a matter of software to replicate what Enphase and Powerwall do for TOU.

The microinverters have export control. You can throttle it back to zero if you have the IQ Gateway and App to change the settings. I'm hoping the same is true with Hoymiles. Then it's just a matter of software to replicate what Enphase and Powerwall do for TOU.

As I understand it, Enphase controls power export via the grid CT. That is it sets the maximum voltage of the microinverters such that it applies zero back-pressure to the grid. So, I don't believe it to be a given, but their documentation should say as zero-export is an important feature.

In AC coupling, the two ways I've heard of to throttle a microinverter are anti-islanding and UL-1741. Both are inverter requirements for the U.S., so if Hoymiles is made for the U.S. marketplace it'll have both anti-islanding and UL-1741.

Anti-Islanding allows microinverters to be turned on/off if the grid falls out of spec (voltage and/or frequency) and is the common mechanism that inverters like the Outback GS series uses to control them when AC coupled. The GS lets the battery drain such that there is enough head-room for the charger to absorb any backlash before turning the inverters on (and turns them off when the battery is too full). (Outback has an engineering note on AC Coupling that talks about it).

UL-1741 allows utilities to throttle back DERs via frequency manipulation. Since a microinverter can't tell if it's the utility or an upstream AC coupled inverter it can be used to throttled their output (I'm not sure which (if any) inverter uses that technique to control microinverters).

As I don't see a frequency change when Enphase throttles their microinverters back, I believe they are using their API rather than frequency manipulation as UL-1741 does. Probably because it's too slow for handling surges (for example, at 60 Hz it takes a minimum of 1/60th of a second). Anti-islanding low-voltage is required to take less than .16s. But, both of those techniques require something else to be the brain to control the microinverters, for example to control voltage (e.g., an on/off relay) or frequency (e.g., inverter output frequency).

Last edited:
I have the outback GS4048, you have to update the firmware but it does throttle back the IQ7 inverters, it is smooth.

I also have APsystem QS1 quad inverters and they just shut down for five minutes when frequency shifted... so then they turn on to only be turned back off again while the battery is full. You get this unpleasant on and off ever five minutes but it works.

Back