diy solar

diy solar

Entire system accidentally set up backwards...

Antony

Hi,

I'm hoping somebody could please help me?

I have recently purchased a 'Renogy 200w 12v Solar Kit with Rover 20a Controller'. I had everything mounted ready to wire up and was just waiting on the battery and inverter to arrive. Long story short, I had to head out of town so my wife asked if I would like her father to set it up as he has electrical knowledge, I said sure why not..

I arrived back a few days ago, checked out the setup, looked great at first but noticed he had forgotten to put some fuses and a few other parts on. When I went to wire them in I noticed that the entire system has been set up in reverse, solar panels to the controller in reverse, and controller to the battery in reverse (battery to inverter was correct).

Now when I set it up correctly (followed the instructions exact read everything 3 times over) the controller won't turn on...it only turns on with wiring in reverse.

so my question is...how bad is this? or is it ok to run like this...it seemed to be working.

any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you for your time

What does wiring in reverse mean?
Battery + to SCC -?

Panel + to SCC -?

This sounds like an impossible scenario for anything to be smoke free let alone work.

Yes, I didn't think it was possible but it seems to be (also possible I'm an idiot)

so according to the instructions, where you are meant to connect the panel negative wire to the controller, he connected the positive wire and where you are meant to connect the positive he put the negative. and with the battery wires the same thing.

I also sent a photo of my wiring to the manufacturer and they confirmed it was correct (but the controller won't power on this way).

Pictures please.

The wiring diagram and photo of my wiring, it does not power on this way...only when the wires are switched.

I have not attempted to reconnect the panels yet. I've been advised not to as this could cause (more) damage

Attachments

• ren.jpg
    ren.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 48
  • sp1.jpg
    sp1.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 48
Define reverse? Based on colors of wires? I dont see were you indicated that you got out your volt meter to verify that X wire was positive and Y wire was negitive and they were connected to the properly labeled ports.

Isolate everything and check voltages.
Voc of PV panels?
Voltage of batteries?
Continuity (or voltage present) through fuses?

Some of my equipment (PV inverter) has a diode to clamp reverse polarity panels.
Once piece (charge controller) has fuse to blow in case of reverse polarity battery.
Others (inverter) are guaranteed to burn up for reverse polarity battery, unless for some miracle fuse or breaker actually protects transistors.

Once you have a battery with good voltage, see if inverter will operate.
See if charge controller (with no panels connected) acknowledges battery voltage.

Isolate everything and check voltages.
Voc of PV panels?
Voltage of batteries?
Continuity (or voltage present) through fuses?

Some of my equipment (PV inverter) has a diode to clamp reverse polarity panels.
Once piece (charge controller) has fuse to blow in case of reverse polarity battery.
Others (inverter) are guaranteed to burn up for reverse polarity battery, unless for some miracle fuse or breaker actually protects transistors.

Once you have a battery with good voltage, see if inverter will operate.
See if charge controller (with no panels connected) acknowledges battery voltage.
hey, Thank you for the response,

The battery has good voltage, the inverter will operate from the battery.
Fuse inside charge controller has not blown.
charge controller with no panels will read battery voltage but only when the wires are opposite to the diagram instructions.

the thing that is confusing me the most is that when I set it up exactly how the manufacturers have instructed..it won't work.
I have limited knowledge in this area and I'm new to solar.

I really appreciate all the feedback

Ignore the diagram for the time being. Regardless of wire color, check that the labeled (-) of the battery is connected to the (-) of the battery port on the charge controller and that the (+) of the battery is connected to the (+) of the battery port on the charge controller. Controller battery ports should be labeled directly or are in the manual.

I suspect that the only thing going on here is the color of the wires and the change from red to black is confusing someone.

Their manual stinks. Is the charge controller labeled BAT+ and BAT-? If so, measure the voltage at the charge controller with your volt meter, making sure you have the red on + and black on -. If it is a positive number, it is correct. Now switch the probes and confirm you get a negative number. If so, you are wired correctly. Also check the polarity of the PV panels before connecting them to the charge controller.

Their manual stinks. Is the charge controller labeled BAT+ and BAT-? If so, measure the voltage at the charge controller with your volt meter, making sure you have the red on + and black on -. If it is a positive number, it is correct. Now switch the probes and confirm you get a negative number. If so, you are wired correctly. Also check the polarity of the PV panels before connecting them to the charge controller.
Thank you! I agree their manual and instructional videos are terrible and their helpline is even worse.
One of the few times in my life I read the instructions and look at where it got me haha. Thank you for taking the time to reply, I'll let you know how it goes

Ignore the diagram for the time being. Regardless of wire color, check that the labeled (-) of the battery is connected to the (-) of the battery port on the charge controller and that the (+) of the battery is connected to the (+) of the battery port on the charge controller. Controller battery ports should be labeled directly or are in the manual.

I suspect that the only thing going on here is the color of the wires and the change from red to black is confusing someone.
Thank you for your reply! I might be losing my mind but their manual shows the (-) of the battery going directly into what is the (+) of the controller...
I appreciate your time and will take your advice, thank you again :)

The charge controller gets its power from the battery. If it is wired backwards, it will not turn on (and depending on the controller, may blow up). It's not often I say this, but ignore the manual. Plus to plus, minus to minus.

it looks like the wiring is like most other Chinese solar controllers.
That being from left side solar + - battery + - and load + -.
Your picture shows it wired reverse currently.
The red terminal of battery should connect to the 3rd from left terminal of controller.
Pic attached shows what lines up with their diagram.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-21 135310.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-10-21 135310.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 8
The charge controller gets its power from the battery. If it is wired backwards, it will not turn on (and depending on the controller, may blow up). It's not often I say this, but ignore the manual. Plus to plus, minus to minus.
Seems to be working well! I had an electrician look it over also, seems the diagram has a few things in it that don't make sense.
Thank you again :)

It's working well now! thank you for taking the time to help me out :)

The Renogy manuals also conflict. The manual for the solar panels say the positive cable is one type of MC4 COnnector (I forget whether its male or female) but the manual on their kits say a different polarity. I took a volt meter to measure the voltage out of the solar panel for mine prior to making connections.

For whatever its worth, even thought the different manuals said the positive cable was either male or female depending on the manual, the sticker on the cable from the solar panel itself had the correct polarity.

This weekend I will be crimping some MC4 cables and I’m still confused from those manuals and I’m going to get on top of my RV and look at the panels to make sure I get it correct.

Father in law had it Right then?
Yes, he was! A few fuses and some other things were left out but his wiring was correct. I'm glad I asked for help before telling him he did it backwards, haha...but don't worry, I still feel like a schmo ;)

Back