diy solar

diy solar

EPEVER 10420AN Troubleshooting help

ljc

I received a "potentially free" EPEver 10420AN MPPT Charge controller that im hoping to use on the system im building. Don't know a lot about the history on it except that it is "broken". I'm suspecting it may just be a issue with the display. I did test the fuse and it is good. The case was opened and no obvious burned out components / burnt smell.

So far I have put 12V power on the battery side with the following observations:
1. With no power connected, all are open circuit except Batt- and PV-. This is normal, since common ground, correct?
2. With the 12V power connected on Batt+ and Batt-:
2.1 small spark when connecting -charging capacitors?
2.2 Voltage over Batt+ and PV+ is 12V, Voltage over Batt+ and PV- is also 12V.
2.3 There is a small Voltage delta of .1V between PV+/PV- and the ground lug on the aluminum cooling fins.

Any thoughts? Any other tests recommended? (I do not currently have a solar panel available to test with.) Like I said, I'm hoping its just a LCD issue. Then I can buy a MT-50 Remote meter with solar panels and still have a functional, though not perfect system.

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, this unit may need to have PV voltage greater than battery voltage for LCD to turn on. Not sure, sorry.

That's 10420EN, BN ??

Did you check fuses inside?

Just corrected it in the description, it is AN. Can someone confirm if a PV voltage would be required to turn it on? That would not make alot of sense, I think... That would mean you need to have incoming solar power in order to do a system setup?

Yes, did check the fuses.

A quick skim of the manual doesn't indicate that PV is required for the LCD to become active but it was a quick skim not a careful read. In my experience that would make this controller pretty unique as pretty much everything out there gives you the ability to perform the initial configuration with only battery power applied.

There will be at least one voltage regulator for the control circuitry in the device. The sort of voltages that may be found on the output of the regulator(s) would be 5V, 3.3V, 1.8V. Odds on they would be buck regulators rather than linear so there should be some small inductors in the vicinity. From pictures posted of another failed epever recently there appears to be some small PCBs attached to the heavy power handling section of the charger. These likely contain the smarts and would possibly be where the low voltage regulation is done too. If some high res photos are posted to an external image hosting web site and a link to them posted here someone may be able to take a look and advise further.

Thanks, I will take some pictures over the weekend and add them.

Also, I looked up a unboxing/install video for this model nr and it clearly lights up the LCD as soon as the battery circuit is connected. See link below.

Just a quick update on this one. I was able to get a variable voltage source to attach to the PV side and it did start charging the battery. The LCD still did not light up. Now waiting for a MT50 to test if it works. I did try to see if there was any damage/issues with the LCD and connecting cable but could not see any issues on it.

Back