diy solar

diy solar

Epever 2210an battery warning flashing in 24v mode

Red Squirrel

I recently converted my system from 12v to 24v by stringing 4 6v golf cart batteries in series. Got everything wired up and it seems to work but the battery warning is flashing on the unit. Manual indicates it's over voltage condition. From my understanding this model is auto sensing, is it? Everything I read seems to indicate I need to buy a separate controller or use an app... I really hope that's not the case.

Anyone know how I can go about setting the voltage? I played around with the settings but I don't really see much I can do other than change battery from flooded, gel or lithium. I have it set to flooded.

My solar panels are also setup as a 24 volt nominal system so I will have to see if I need to switch that, but I think it should be fine.

Is it really autosensing every time?

For the Victron's I know they are autosensing, on first boot.
It does sense the voltage and sets it accordingly, but that's only on initial boot. Once it has set, it is 'fixed' at the detected voltage. If you afterwards upgrade from 12 to 24 it does go into overvoltage.

Or, worse, the other way: Once set to 24V, and re-used on a 12V setup, it continues to work as 24V (thus overloading) unless manually set to 12V

I won't be surprised if the Epever is similar. Do you have the MT50? Easiest to change with the MT50 (Which I recommend anyway if you want to check the controller status without diving somewhere in the equipment box to see the panel)

In the manual, I saw you can set battery types, but can't see if you can set it from 12 to 24V with the buttons on the panel.

So after a while it seems to have fixed itself and no longer in overload mode. However it seems to be greatly overcharging the batteries. I went to check and it was at 29 volts! I can hear the batteries boiling, glad I caught this... I have it set to flooded acid but really not sure why it was over volting the batteries that much. I know it has an equalize mode but that seems high even for equalize, it should not be at the point of boiling the batteries! Is there a way to set a cut off voltage? I turned off the breaker from the solar panels for now and turned on the lights to discharge the batteries a bit. These batteries were not of equal charge when I connected them, could that be an issue and could it be why it was overloading as it still thinks there needs to be more charge going in?

Got a reply from Epever about the high voltage they told me it's normal for it to be that high but it does not seem right to me, I should not be able to hear the batteries basically "boiling" which is what was happening. It means they are venting a lot if it's doing that. I will wait for the MT-50 to come in and then I will play around with that, hopefully there is a setting to bring voltage down to 27v.

Back