diy solar

diy solar

Epever 30amp Tracer AN Series MPPT State of Charge (SOC) not rising above 50%

Pringie22

Hi All
I am doing my own first campervan build and having issues with the solar charging my batteries above 50% through an Epever 30A Tracer AN Series MPPT.
The set up is 640W solar on the roof, coming through the Epever unit to 4x 120Ah lead acid batteries. The solar panels (3x 200W and 2x 20W) run in series. The batteries are in parallel, with the MPPT connected to +/- of battery 1 and hook up to 12V and 240V fuse boards from battery 4, so nothing is actually connected to Load either. I've tried playing around with a few of the Epever settings from YouTube videos to try and increase the State of Charge but to no avail. I've attached screenshots of the current settings and monitoring for reference.
Is possibly due to my wiring, ie the MPPT should be connected to + of battery 1 and - of battery 4, and same into the fuse boards?
Hopefully someone can help me! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Epever Monitoring.jpg
    Epever Monitoring.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Epever Settings.png
    Epever Settings.png
    260.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Epever Monitoring (when suns out).jpg
    Epever Monitoring (when suns out).jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 22
The issue is with the solar panels. Remove the two 20 watt panels from the series string.

It's not too clear exactly how the panels are connected, all 5 in series may damage the controller.

However the current readings suggest very low current from the panels.

Four 36 cell panels in series is the maximum.

Mike

Last edited:
SOC, what type of battery do you have? I wouldn't trust the charger to report SOC unless it is only looking at the voltage level of a lead acid battery. If that is not the case, the value means nothing (from that charger).

For sure disconnect the 20 watt panels and try again. They are pulling the other panels down. Supply all info on panels and how everything is wired. If not, everyone will just be guessing on what may have happened.

Thanks Mike and GLC. It was the MPPT + connected to the 1st 200W +, then 1st 200W - to 2nd 200W +, then 2nd 200W - to 3rd 200W +, then 3rd 200W - to 1st 20W +, then 1st 20W - to 2nd 20W +, then 2nd 20W - to MPPT - (I hope that makes sense, it looks quite convoluted now I've typed it out)

I've disconnected the 2x 20W solar panels from the series string, MPPT still connected + to 1st 200W +, string remains in series with 3rd 200W - to MPPT - . Except now the MPPT shows no charge coming through and the Load has voltage (as per new photo).

This setup has been connected for over a year while I've worked on the van interior and the battery charge has just become an issue since putting the van to use and wanting to ensure my batteries aren't draining. Does this mean I've probably already damaged the MPPT? And even the batteries?

DThames, the batteries are deep cycle lead acid: SuperBatt DT120 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/SuperBatt-Purpose-Leisure-Terminals-Indicator/dp/B01DT5564C)

Attachments

• Epever Monitoring Update1.jpg
    Epever Monitoring Update1.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 7
Can you supply us the panel specs?
These are the solar panels and website I ordered from: https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/12v-200w-xplorer-german-cell-monocrystalline-solar-panel/

Website spec:
Peak power: 200 W
Nominal voltage:17.8V
Maximum power current: 11.2A
Open circuit voltage (VOC):21.6V
Short circuit current: 12.1A
Power allowance range:+/- 3%
Dimensions: 99.2cm x 124cm x 4.0 cm
Weight: 16 kg
4 mounting holes 9 x 11 mm
5 Metre Cable supplied and attached
mc4 Connections

So if you have panels wired in series, you should have 64 VOC correct? Meaning that if you check the voltage on the PV wires it should be registering 64 volts in best light. You have the positive PV cable connected to the Positive input on the controller and the negative PV wire connected to the negative input on the controller. So your batteries are hooked up parallel? No wires connected to the load correct? Battery wires hooked up correctly positive and negative correct? You hooked up the battery wires first so the the controller would read 12 volts and you programed your controller for 12 volts correct? Then you connected your panels correct? So where are you now?

I suspect a faulty connection in the panel string.

Your first set of attachments showed a input voltage of 81 volts ( the controller was trying to find the max power point and getting confused with the mix of panels). A low input current of 0.2 amps. Battery showed 12.02, max 12.48, min 11.57.
This suggests your battery has been almost fully discharged and has never been correctly charged .
If this state has existed for some time, the batteries may be damaged. They need a charge ASAP. Charge each separately to 14.7 volts. Do not remove the batteries from the controller with the panels still connected.

Note the batteries are heavy duty starter batteries sold as suitable for leisure use. They will give resionable performance with modest loads, but don't expect long service life if you pull high currents or discharge below 50 % SOC frequently.

The values on the first set of attachments suggest the controller is operational.

The second set showed no panel volts or current . Test each panel separately , perhaps connect one at a time to the controller, ( ensure there is always a battery connected to the controller whilst connecting/disconnecting panels.)

Summary,
Panel array faulty connection. Solar controller functional. Batteries suspect.

With 600 watts of solar with a 12v system, you are overpaneling, but within the range approved by Epever .

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks for the input all. I got everything working alright now.
I dont know how it happened but the wiring from the solar series to the MPPT was playing up so Ive spent the last day rewiring it through the van and its all good. Battery even says fully charged now!
The load still says its operating at points, Im assuming this is because the batteries are fully charged and its off loading any extra power to the Load output even if nothing is connected?

Thanks for the input all. I got everything working alright now.
I dont know how it happened but the wiring from the solar series to the MPPT was playing up so Ive spent the last day rewiring it through the van and its all good. Battery even says fully charged now!
The load still says its operating at points, Im assuming this is because the batteries are fully charged and its off loading any extra power to the Load output even if nothing is connected?
No, it means that you have the controller programmed to send power to the load ports. Check your programing to cut the load off. I think there is 4 different parameters that can be programed on the Epever to send power to the load side. You have one of them active.

No, it means that you have the controller programmed to send power to the load ports. Check your programing to cut the load off. I think there is 4 different parameters that can be programed on the Epever to send power to the load side. You have one of them active.
Ahhhh, thanks for the info GLC. Ill get on the case with that.
Any recommendations on the MPPT settings in general for my set up? I see a lot of tweaking being done in YouTube videos but not sure on what to play around with myself.

Ahhhh, thanks for the info GLC. Ill get on the case with that.
Any recommendations on the MPPT settings in general for my set up? I see a lot of tweaking being done in YouTube videos but not sure on what to play around with myself.
Most of the setting are based on your batteries. I see that you are using flooded cells, is that correct? 4 of them? And you are 12 volt not 24 volt correct?

Yeah, 4x flooded 12V batteries
So did you program your unit using the flooded preset or did you do used defined settings?

Edit, I just noticed that you have your setting set to sealed not flooded? Or am i looking at your pic wrong?

Last edited:
Ther are sealed heavy duty starter batteries. Use the default sealed lead acid setting.

Mike

Ok, I understand why you used the user defined settings because of wanting to change the Battery capacity. I do see that some of the parameters you used per are default on sealed batteries and some you changed, your reasoning?
I am more familiar to Lithium Iron Phosphate and flooded so I am not familiar with the Boost duration and Equalization on Sealed. I don't think that sealed has an equalization time which you have zero. Also You boost time is set to 10 minutes? Normally boost time is 15 to 30 minutes per 100 AH battery? Maybe sealed is different?

Last edited:
Boost duration for lead acid needs 2 hours. I suggest using the sealed lead acid default settings for charging and changing nothing in the charge voltage and times. The default equilization voltage is quite modest and should help the battery health.
The unit makes a poor guess at battery SOC and is based on voltage.

Back