diy solar

diy solar

Epever 3210AN or 4210AN SCC: Will it work okay with my simple system?

Vigilant24

It seems that many folks here are having trouble with an EPEVER charge controller. These problems can include the SCC "getting stuck" after cloud/shade passage and staying at low voltage or wattage without trying to recompute a better maximum power point when the sun returns. Other users have trouble getting their Epever to charge the battery pack at proper voltage, etc. In many cases these issues occur with Epever controllers used in parallel, and often with LiPo4 batteries or other batteries with a BMS. It's difficult to figure out exactly what might be causing the problems. I understand that there >could< be thousands of happy, satisfied Epever users for each unhappy post, but the number of grumpy folks is not small just based on the posts here.

Here's my question: I am putting together a very basic, old-school system: Four 100W panels, a SCC, and 12V flooded lead acid battery pack (two 12V 100AH batteries in parallel). The panels (approx 20Voc and 5 amp max) can be wired in parallel or 2S2P, either way could work fine. With this simple system, am I likely to experience the same woes that these other folks are having if I go with an Epever 3210AN or 4210AN (plus an MT-50 doohicky)? I'm hoping that the "old style" FLA chemistry is what the Epevers were designed around, that the lack of a BMS eliminates one variable, and that the use of just one charge controller also eliminates some possible conflicts.

Thanks for any input.

For that I would recommend the 4215bn if its still available. I have a pair of these from the first system I built and they are made like TANKS. I have never had them mess up and at one stretch they were active for 5 years without touching them.

Combined with the mt-50 display they can handle anything I need out of them. They charge at 40 amps each per unit charging a single battery bank (lead acid) and worked flawless. I have one of them hooked to my lifepo4 batteries now and its done fine. The only "tricky" part I have had with it is keeping it from "fully" charging the lifepo4's. I'm still tweaking the battery settings for that but normally I can keep soc at 75 to 80% normally.

My issue was the 32v spikes which caused my 24v inverter to have "blackouts"

I have the 4210AN (with 750w pv @ 66voc) & 2210AN (with 300w pv @ 45voc)

I now use them in a 12v DC only system with no inverter connected and they seem to be functioning well enough. They are still limited to only 6hrs of absorption (180min equalize, 180min boost) which is sometimes not enough for deep lead-acid discharges, especially on a cloudy day.

A victron SCC for example can be programmed to allow 1day for absorption if needed. I believe you are more likely to gain 100% charge and never risk overcharging with a Victron SCC.

Last edited:
My issues with my Epevers only were when I set the charging voltage too high and a FET flipped to turn off the charging. I don't charge that high anymore and no further issues with a 30A and 40A in parallel. I do make sure I get the USB cables for them as I have a standalone system that monitors both controllers and both BMS.

My issue was the 32v spikes which caused my 24v inverter to have "blackouts"

I have the 4210AN (with 750w pv @ 66voc) & 2210AN (with 300w pv @ 45voc)

I now use them in a 12v DC only system with no inverter connected and they seem to be functioning well enough. They are still limited to only 6hrs of absorption (180min equalize, 180min boost) which is sometimes not enough for deep lead-acid discharges, especially on a cloudy day.

A victron SCC for example can be programmed to allow 1day for absorption if needed. I believe you are more likely to gain 100% charge and never risk overcharging with a Victron SCC.
Things like this make me wonder--why? Why have a boost window limited to 180 minutes? I'm assuming there's some way to trick the controller to begin the boost phase again, but ideally it wouldn't be necessary. If I have a rough idea how low my batteries are and what my PV productivity is likely to be, let me set boost longer if it is prudent.

My ideal SCC would make it easy for me to manually intervene sometime at night or early in the charging day with a target AH of boost input. If the sun is bright, maybe it gets done in 2 hours but if the sun is weak it might stay in boost (as solar productivity allows) until nightfall. Don't just "time out" and go to absorption mode if the batteries are still at 65%.

Thanks for the input!
Mark

My ideal SCC would make it easy for me to manually intervene sometime at night or early in the charging day with a target AH of boost input.
you can disconnect the PV and let the battery voltage fall below the "boost reconnect" voltage (13.2v by default) then it will begin the process again.

Back