diy solar

diy solar

Epever 4210 and boiled battery

You can try one thing to make this battery live a little bit longer.
Pulse charging.

If you can not find a pulse charger, then use a very bad PWM charger.
So charge the battery with that 2-3 times (not more).

@frodo2222 Please ignore this advice. Pulse charging of batteries has not been demonstrated to be any more effective than proper equalization at the appropriate times.

Maybe :) PWM also does only 50-100 open-close in a sec :)

Some even do a bit of sparking. Very short short circuits, let it spark a bit. But this I can not recommend.
Yea, the sparking thing may warrant 2 sets of cables so it can occur away from either source. I wouldn't want to be near either end. ?

Boost = bulk = absorption voltage.
I do not understand why Lead Acid manufacturers use such vague and ambiguous terminology. Constant Voltage is the end game, and typically the same for all three like you suggest. The Constant Current is dependant on the source. Current can vary if it comes from solar but it is fixed if from a charger connected to the grid or generator.

OK I will try to answer the points you make..the Gen is only run when I am in solar only for a hour to top off baterries, here where I am at which is in fact about 70-80 :) (Puerto Penasco Mexico) pretty much all the time I am on shore power at night..thats why I turned down the charge rate for the 8 hours I am plugged in the rest I unplug and I am only on solar the inverter I have is a
SUNGOLDPOWER

SUNGOLDPOWER 4000W Peak 12000W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter DC 12V AC 120V with Battery AC Charger Solar Wind Power Inverters LCD Display Low Frequency Solar Converter with a 55 amp charger​

Yes all controllers and inverter have temp probes and as far as I can tell they are at 6 volts..I had one go bad and that really screwed things up till I identified it and took it out and replaced it

You are absolutely right..I am saving for new batteries but if I can stretch them another year or two I will be very happy...the eqallization cycle on the inverter i actually have to turn a know to do so it is not autoatic but the controllers it is the only setting i saw was the time 0-120 minutes and from what I read it seems it does it once a month or if not totally done at once it adds the time it does equalize till it reaches 120 minutes but not altogether clear on that with the Epever
Was that a typo when you said that you had a 24 volt system and then say that you have a 12 DC inverter?

I do not understand why Lead Acid manufacturers use such vague and ambiguous terminology.

Decades old practice. To me "boost" is the silly one. It's hard to relate it to anything. IMHO, it seems to originate with Chinese chargers.

Simply names given to explain the concept to the unwashed masses:

"Bulk" = bulk of the charge happens here.
"Absorption" = the slower bit of charging where the battery "absorbs" its full charge.

CC and CV require people to 1) give a shit, 2) actually understand.

:)

I don't believe for a minute that all your batteries decided to die all at once.
Actually that is not an uncommon situation with lead acid batteries. You can ‘see’ them start to taper maybe a year if lucky, then all of a sudden they appear to fall flat on their faces. A chemical additive and changing to new acid sometimes can bring them back for a while, or the “right” equalize cycle can revive them back. But they’ll never be new again and the next time they fail they’ll fall down dramatically.

Pulse charging of batteries has not been demonstrated to be any more effective than proper equalization at the appropriate times.
Welllll…. My first solar setup (2018?) I used a pair of 8-year-old known compromised lead acid deep cycles. Hooked up temporary to just get my solar running and lo and behold they revived. Ran all summer no probs. That was unexpected and not even hoped for- it just happened. ?‍♂️

Yes I actually have the 24 volt system and inverter lol sorry
Been working fine for 6 years, find it hard to believe your settings are wrong after all that time. Something changed or failed. Do you have one battery that has got a bad cell or two causing the charge controller or charger to keep charging? Six years is a long time for lead acid.

A cheap source of distilled water is the water off your AC evaporator coil.

Back