diy solar

diy solar

Epever BN series min load.

Heybob

Can any member please tell me if the "Epever Tracer BN series 40amp controller" has a minimum load load limit. I want to connect a 5 watt solar panel to my controller to trickle feed my battery when my trailer is idle for a period of time. Thank you.

Hi sunshine_eggo, the battery size is a 135 AGM, when asked a solar company their reply was:- "The 5 watt solar panel will be fine as long as the Controller you have does not have a minimum load limit".

5 watt... that's nothing.

I think you're wanting to use the load ouput to connect the panel? That probably won't work since I don't expect the load output allows a reverse flow (charging into the battery).

If you want to use the 5W panel to drive the MPPT.. no way. First I don't think the voltage is high enough, second, the mppt probably won't do anything with soo low power. Add in all losses it will probably use more to keep the controller on, than the input of the panel.

A small solar panel can work to tricklecharge, but connect it directly to the battery (with an appropriate fuse off course). And imho 5W is useless, since all panel ratings are based on maximum solar radiance. I would go for 20W or so if you really need to tricklecharge the battery (And want to be able to charge at least SOMEthing, that 5W panel probably works only during full summer sun)

The Tracer consumes 60mA from the battery, thats around 18 watts per day each and every day. On a sunny day with the panel at the correct angle, a good solar yield would with a 5 watt panel would be 30 watts. My guess is that unless you can guarantee wall to wall sunshine each day the battery will gradually go flat.
options:
1. use a low cost PWM controller, typically 2 watts consumption.
2. bigger panel.

Mike

Can any member please tell me if the "Epever Tracer BN series 40amp controller" has a minimum load load limit. I want to connect a 5 watt solar panel to my controller to trickle feed my battery when my trailer is idle for a period of time. Thank you.
A 5w panel, doesn't matter what Voc as long it is above the battery V....not a 6v model...could be directly connected to the battery.
Should not be a problem for any large batteries, Use a diode to stop back feed.

5 watt... that's nothing.

I think you're wanting to use the load ouput to connect the panel? That probably won't work since I don't expect the load output allows a reverse flow (charging into the battery).

If you want to use the 5W panel to drive the MPPT.. no way. First I don't think the voltage is high enough, second, the mppt probably won't do anything with soo low power. Add in all losses it will probably use more to keep the controller on, than the input of the panel.

A small solar panel can work to tricklecharge, but connect it directly to the battery (with an appropriate fuse off course). And imho 5W is useless, since all panel ratings are based on maximum solar radiance. I would go for 20W or so if you really need to tricklecharge the battery (And want to be able to charge at least SOMEthing, that 5W panel probably works only during full summer sun)
Hi DJSmiley, thank you for your input. I can connect it direct to the battery no problem. It was just a thought to put it through the controller as I have a connection on the outside of the trailer to the contoller, thought it might be ok to connect a 5w panel through the same connection. Iwill connect it direct to the battery with a fuse of course. Thank you for your reply.

The Tracer consumes 60mA from the battery, thats around 18 watts per day each and every day. On a sunny day with the panel at the correct angle, a good solar yield would with a 5 watt panel would be 30 watts. My guess is that unless you can guarantee wall to wall sunshine each day the battery will gradually go flat.
options:
1. use a low cost PWM controller, typically 2 watts consumption.
2. bigger panel.

Mike
Hi Mike, thank you for your reply to my question. Being new to solar, I need to ask questions as to what I can and cannot do. I am glad that there is a website like this, with people that have the knowledge to help me as yourself. I think I will connect the panel direct to the battery with the appropriate size fuse. Thank you so much for your input.

Back