diy solar

diy solar

Epever charge controller low voltage disconnect at 11.1V???

Bowlegs868

I have an Epever VS6048AU charge controller and on it's technical sheet I saw that the low voltage disconnect for the batteries is at 11.1V (for sealed, gel and flooded)

This is a big problem, right???!

If it's allowing the batteries to discharge that low before disconnecting (and I have already had to deal with battery issues twice), then this will not work out well for me

Also, I'm getting different PV voltage readings on the charge controller (82V) vs my multimeter (78V)... any thoughts on which would be more accurate?

IIRC 11v = zero SOC. Epever must have something in mind.

The readings are within 3% of 80v, that's kind of a wide tolerance for today's meters.
Check the multimeter for reading 1.56v on a new flashlight battery but it could still be off on the higher scales.
What's the make & model of your meter?

saw that the low voltage disconnect for the batteries is at 11.1V (for sealed, gel and flooded)
Is this not for the output terminals only? And setable in the controller parameters?
getting different PV voltage readings on the charge controller (82V) vs my multimeter (78V)... any thoughts on which would be more accurate?
Maybe both are probably “accurate.”
They just read different things differently imho. The SCC ‘sees’ the load and the MPPT voltage

Are you measuring the solar panel open circuit or connected to the SCC?

The charge controller uses some energy doing its thing. For another the SCC readouts isn’t intended to be used as a test instrument. I just view it as a guide. Even this AM with good but filtered sun the Epever was showing 13.9V, inverter 12.7V, and my independent monitor 12.3V while an 800W load was present. None were “wrong” they just all felt the ‘weight’ of the load differently. They all stabilized to 12.5V when the load stopped and subsequently climbed to 14.9 a bit later.

Is this not for the output terminals only? And setable in the controller parameters?
In the document under the protection features section, it states "Protection: Battery Over Discharge > Condition: The battery voltage reaches to the LVD > Status: Stop discharging"

the LVD (low voltage discharge) is according to their sheet, 11.1V

And as far as changing the parameters, I'm gonna go with NOPE. There's nothing in it about changing those parameters. Only the battery type
Are you measuring the solar panel open circuit or connected to the SCC?
The latter... at the input terminals

Attachments

• Epever VS6048AU-V1.2.pdf
    430.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
the document under the protection features section, it states "Protection: Battery Over Discharge > Condition: The battery voltage reaches to the LVD > Status: Stop discharging"
Are you using the load terminals?!

11.1 is their default. I set mine to 12V but for no good reason- I don’t use the load terminals.
Reset yours to 12.1 or 12.2V or whatever you want to if you’re using load terminals.

This setting effects nothing else internally or peripherally

image.jpg

11.1 is their default. I set mine to 12V but for no good reason- I don’t use the load terminals.
Reset yours to 12.1 or 12.2V or whatever you want to if you’re using load terminals.

This setting effects nothing else internally or peripherally

View attachment 85710
I don't think I can with this model... firstly it's a PWM charge controller and secondly, I haven't seen any ports that would allow me to change those parameters ??‍♂️

I wish I had that capability right now

I have an Epever VS6048AU charge controller and on it's technical sheet I saw that the low voltage disconnect for the batteries is at 11.1V (for sealed, gel and flooded)

This is a big problem, right???!

It's only a problem if we are
  1. running loads off the LOAD terminals
  2. run the batteries that low with no other intervention
IMO getting anywhere near that voltage would mean the system isn't properly sized (charging capacity, storage capacity).

On the 200v scale it would read 199.0v full scale, so your reading was 78.0?

MM300 accuracy is 0.8% of 200v + 3 digits.

0.8% of 200v = 1.6v so a true voltage of 78.00000 could read 78.0 + 1.6 + 0.3 = 79.9v

If your Epever has the same specs, a true voltage of 82.00000 could read 82 - 1.6 - 0.3 = 80.1v

But it’s unlikely that both your meter & the Epever are at the opposite extremes of their tolerance bands.

Can you get a hold of any other meters?

IMO getting anywhere near that voltage would mean the system isn't properly sized (charging capacity, storage capacity).
You might be right on the sizing of the system but if you're new to it all like I am, the chances of it happening would be high

On the 200v scale it would read 199.0v full scale, so your reading was 78.0?

MM300 accuracy is 0.8% of 200v + 3 digits.

0.8% of 200v = 1.6v so a true voltage of 78.00000 could read 78.0 + 1.6 + 0.3 = 79.9v

If your Epever has the same specs, a true voltage of 82.00000 could read 82 - 1.6 - 0.3 = 80.1v

But it’s unlikely that both your meter & the Epever are at the opposite extremes of their tolerance bands.

Can you get a hold of any other meters?
I might be able to... I'll try another meter next chance I get
thanks! ?

firstly it's a PWM charge controller and secondly
Do you have the cash to buy a different controller?
How many and what panels?

I don’t know your controller but if it can’t be programmed you need a different one OR figure out how to program it.

^^This. The LV cutoff is ONLY for the load terminals. Your SCC doesn't control battery discharge otherwise.

This is a basic PWM charge controller - there isn't much to set on them. Just battery type, let'r rip.
What kind of batteries? Set it for that type.

If you can wire panels in series and gain some benefit for the higher input voltage, then maybe an mppt would be of benefit. Otherwise, there isn't much there that you're not already getting.

Back