diy solar

diy solar

Epever Charge Controller Sizing Please

gr8pix

Valle de Guadalupe, Baja California, Mexico
Hello, would this charge controller work MPPT Solar Charge Controller 80A EPEVER Tracer 8420AN

For these 4 panels wired 2s2p
Max Power Output(W): 220W
Voltage MPP Vmp(V): 17.52V
Current MPP Imp(A): 12.60A
Voltage Open Circuit Voc(V): 20.52V
Short Circuit Current Isc(A): 13.41A
Charging this
Battery 12v 400AH

I'd be grateful for any help in choosing the correct size controller.
Thanks!

You could also two two 40A ones and tie them together on a single bus bar. Cheaper and if one fails, you still have the other one. The terminals aren't great on the lower amp ones so just be aware of that as well.

Keep in mind ONLY the output can be tied together in a bussbar, NOT the panels...
Which means I'd have to run 2 sets of wires for the 4 panels separately from the panels to the controllers and then output each to a busbar and then to the battery. However, I'd like to add 2 or more panels in the future so I'd have to go that route for more on another controller, correct?

Which means I'd have to run 2 sets of wires for the 4 panels separately from the panels to the controllers and then output each to a busbar and then to the battery. However, I'd like to add 2 or more panels in the future so I'd have to go that route for more on another controller, correct?
I would keep them as a second circuit if you go with just a single circuit. You could buffer for it now, but future me may have better equipment available and I would likely not be able to mix them on the panel side.

Hello, would this charge controller work MPPT Solar Charge Controller 80A EPEVER Tracer 8420AN

For these 4 panels wired 2s2p
Max Power Output(W): 220W
Voltage MPP Vmp(V): 17.52V
Current MPP Imp(A): 12.60A
Voltage Open Circuit Voc(V): 20.52V
Short Circuit Current Isc(A): 13.41A
Charging this
Battery 12v 400AH

I'd be grateful for any help in choosing the correct size controller.
Thanks!
Are you interested in over-panelling? That would mean the maximum charge current would "clip" at the charge controller maximum.
It would allow you to use more panels with a smaller controller. In winter and early morning/late evening that charge current will be same as the larger, more expensive controller.

Are you interested in over-panelling? That would mean the maximum charge current would "clip" at the charge controller maximum.
It would allow you to use more panels with a smaller controller. In winter and early morning/late evening that charge current will be same as the larger, more expensive controller.
Thanks! I ended up picking up the 80A Epever and reduced my battery to the 300AH which is more matched to my 880w of panels, I may add another battery later. This will get me started for now, still left to do is to order wiring, fuses, breaker as well as a shunt etc. The next big one will be an inverter 2000-3000w to match up, any suggestions?

Sorry for hijacking this thread. I was wondering if I can connect a panel that has Imppt = 17A to a controller that has maximum input current 12.5A. The max. Voc is below what the controller can handle.

Sorry for hijacking this thread. I was wondering if I can connect a panel that has Imppt = 17A to a controller that has maximum input current 12.5A. The max. Voc is below what the controller can handle.
No

Back