diy solar

diy solar

EPEVER Inverter RS485 to USB remote mode CAT6 extension

tony95

I have the Epever RS485 to USB cable for the IP2000-21 inverter and can connect it to my PC then switch into Remote Mode to turn the inverter output on and off. I need to run the cable about 30-40 feet to my computer.
Can I just couple the RJ45 connector to a CAT6 cable to extend the cable or is CAT6 wiring different?
The documentation says RS485 can be extended up to 40 meters. I was able to get the Epever Inverter software connected to the Epever WiFi module and everything seemed to work except it will not allow me to put the inverter into Remote Mode when I am connected wireless and it was not completely reliable.

Last edited:
A standard Ethernet cable is straight through pin to pin, so it should work. True RS-485 (which is a standard) is good for 4000 feet.

Are you thinking to use something like this? (end to end connectors)

Oh, by the way, I have an old laptop that has Windows Pro on it. I plugged it into my USB-RS-485 on my EPEver charger (in my garage) and then used Remote Desktop from my PC (inside the house) to the old laptop to monitor the EPEver. Windows Home Edition will not support Remote Desktop session hosting. Of course both PCs must be on the network (my home WiFi)

Oh, by the way, I have an old laptop that has Windows Pro on it. I plugged it into my USB-RS-485 on my EPEver charger (in my garage) and then used Remote Desktop from my PC (inside the house) to the old laptop to monitor the EPEver. Windows Home Edition will not support Remote Desktop session hosting. Of course both PCs must be on the network (my home WiFi)
I assume the reason the WiFi adapter doesn't work even though it connects the exact same software is that the USB has some kind of chip or relay in it to control the power outlet. Ideally, I want to do some programming to read the power being generated by the solar panels and switch on my inverter to power my server when the power is enough to power it without drawing from the battery even if the battery is low SOC. The goal is to minimize charging the battery when there is enough power to run the server without drawing down the battery. The more direct power from the solar array to my servers the less wear there should be on the battery.

This will also reduce the chance of wasting solar power by filling the batteries too fast and have nowhere to store the energy because I waited too long to start drawing power from it. I am using an auto changeover switch to go between house and solar power.

I have the Epever RS485 to USB cable for the IP2000-21 inverter and can connect it to my PC then switch into Remote Mode to turn the inverter output on and off. I need to run the cable about 30-40 feet to my computer.
Can I just couple the RJ45 connector to a CAT6 cable to extend the cable or is CAT6 wiring different?
The documentation says RS485 can be extended up to 40 meters. I was able to get the Epever Inverter software connected to the Epever WiFi module and everything seemed to work except it will not allow me to put the inverter into Remote Mode when I am connected wireless and it was not completely reliable.
Thanks for asking the question, that way I don't have to. ;)

Thanks for asking the question, that way I don't have to. ;)
I can confirm this works with a coupler and a CAT5e cable. I don't have my long cable yet, but I tested with a shorter cable and it worked perfectly. I will update if the long cable has an issue but I doubt it will.

I can confirm this works with a coupler and a CAT5e cable. I don't have my long cable yet, but I tested with a shorter cable and it worked perfectly. I will update if the long cable has an issue but I doubt it will.
I tested with the 25ft cable and it did not work. However, the cable I received was the smallest ethernet cable I have ever seen, not sure how they get off calling it CAT6. It was maybe a quarter the thickness of a standard CAT5e cable. It must be less than 30AWG. I ordered a good solid copper 24AWG Cate5e cable, should get it Friday.

Back