diy solar

diy solar

Epever solar station question

Defens

Done some searching and didn't find an answer, so here goes!

I just received my EPever USB to RS485 cable to connect my Tracer to my laptop. I want to set the controller parameters for charging my new Renogy LiFePO4 100AH battery. The setup seemed to go okay but the driver shows up as COM5 instead of COM3. I configured a new station in the software and set it to COM5.

However, I don't think the software is seeing the controller at all. I can't read any data from it, and when I set parameters and go to update, that operation fails also. So - dumb question I know - does the controller need to be connected to a battery or PV to wake it up? I was under the impression that just connecting to the USB cable and plugging it in would power up the programming capability. The battery is at a different location, so wanted to program everything before I plugged the Tracer into the system.

If it does need power to the battery terminals, I do have a regulated DC power supply handy. Would it be okay to hook it to the batter terminals and set it for somewhere between 12 and 14 volts?

Thanks!

Mike

Answering my own question - yes, the controller needs to be powered up by a battery. The USB port doesn't supply voltage to the onboard processor.

Back