diy solar

diy solar

epever tracer 4210an problems

I want to share some of the issues I found with Lifepo4 batteries and the Epever Charge Controllers.
Are they really ready for the battery?

Maybe the next guy won't waste a bunch of time buying the wrong product, or ruining batteries.
Too bad the sellers are not a bit more up front about product limitations.

The XTRA series:
SECTION 3.1, Note 2: When a lithium battery is used, the system voltage can't be identified automatically.

SECTION 4.1.3:
CAUTION: The required accuracy of BMS is no higher than 0.2V. We will not assume responsibility for the abnormal when the accuracy of BMS is higher than 0.2v.

SECTION 5.1:
Battery Reverse Polarity
WARNING
: Limited to the characteristic of lithium battery, when the PV connection is correct and battery connection reversed, the controller will be damaged.

The MSC-N series:
"For MSC4210N and MSC4215N, the rated voltage of the battery supports 24V only.
For other MSC-N types, the rated voltage of the battery supports both 12V and 24V."

SECTION 2.1, Note 2: When a lithium battery is used, the system voltage can't be identified automatically.

SECTION 2.4:
WARNING: The voltage parameters of a lithium battery can be set according to the parameters of lithium battery BMS.
WARNING: The required accuracy of BMS shall be no higher than 0.2V. We will not assume responsibility for the system abnormal when the accuracy of BMS is higher than 0.2v.

The Tracer series:
SECTION 3.3, Note 1: The battery parameters under the "User" battery type is 9-17V for LFP4S. They should x2 for LFP8S.
Interesting notes which are applicable to all Tracer models:
1. When a lithium battery is used, the system voltage can't be identified automatically.
4. When a lithium battery is used, the temperature compensation coefficient will be 0 and can't be changed.

My information may not be accurate, but I tried. Check out the website if you are in doubt.

I'm not dogging Epever but it sucks when the seller says it will, and you find out halfway through the manual that it won't.

Whatever Charge Controller you choose, RTFM before pushing the BUY button.

Last edited:
If I understand this correctly, you simply program the system voltage to what you have. Problem solved, no?
I think it tells you that as well, especially for 24V. It won't 'auto-identify'.

If I understand this correctly, you simply program the system voltage to what you have. Problem solved, no?
I think it tells you that as well, especially for 24V. It won't 'auto-identify'.
Damn, that's a long post up there.

I was hoping you could answer that question even though you probably did a few posts ago.
I had to change all my settings - they were too low. It reads battery voltage with the charging current on top - so it is much higher than the actual battery voltage. With the BMS app on my smartphone and the epever program on my tablet, I can get a pretty good view of what it's actually doing.

Definitely takes some tweaking of the parameters. I probly have a dozen hours sitting there watching it and making adjustments.
I was hoping to tip over before having to learn what an app is and figuring out a smartphone. The Boss Lady is gonna do that stuff.

Have you had to do any more tweaking or did the machine successfully hang on to the settings?

I'm probably making too big a deal over what I think are issues.
It would make my day if you told me your Lifepo4 batteries are happy, since you can look at them with your app and I'm assuming in the program too.

Every time I see your face you're smiling so you must like the Epever. ;)

Once you figure out what they’re doing you can adjust.
Yes, they are easy to change charge settings. I’ve been tweaking them till they do what I want.
I have two profiles, one for idle storage and one for daily use. The former lets the pack float down to like 70% SOC.
They have been completely satisfactory, you just have to set to suit your setup.

One problem that I have had is input PV voltage drop off, I have to reset the solar panels to get the voltage up to where it’s supposed to be and then it’s fine. Not sure why. It’s like they go to sleep.

Once you figure out what they’re doing you can adjust.
Yes, they are easy to change charge settings. I’ve been tweaking them till they do what I want.
I have two profiles, one for idle storage and one for daily use. The former lets the pack float down to like 70% SOC.
They have been completely satisfactory, you just have to set to suit your setup.

One problem that I have had is input PV voltage drop off, I have to reset the solar panels to get the voltage up to where it’s supposed to be and then it’s fine. Not sure why. It’s like they go to sleep.
Thanks Chris, I'm gradually getting over the issues. Most likely I will find issues with anything under 4 or 500 bucks.
If I'm going cheap I'll deal with it and be happy.
That said, here's my most recent product on the short list. EPEVER 5415AN 50A, 150V, 12V/24V/36V/48V

I also found my half an amp parasitic draw - last trip the inside fans for the Norcold got left on, and the ice tray left in the freezer, and the doors shut. I don't know why I didn't notice, so after a month there was condensation on the top panel of the freezer, dripping, starting to mold, and the fridge fans were still on. There's my third of an amp draw. :rolleyes: Honey, did you leave the fridge shut? "Uh ah." LOL

The rest of it are the meters, lpg sensor, and ARP fridge board. At idle is now, a tenth of an amp on a 230A battery. (y)
Setting the voltages down lets the battery drift down to a mid-level state of charge. Perfect for storage.

Back