diy solar

diy solar

Epever Tracer 4215bn controller recommended settings

TimO

My system:
5 - 100w panels in series
24v 120ah LiFePo4 battery bank ( 60ah cells connected parallel in sets of 2, then the 8 sets connected in series.)
200amp Samlex Battery Guard
2000 watt Samlex Pure Sine Wave inverter
Tracer 4215bn charge controller w/ MT-50 remote

I'm looking for recommended settings for the charge controller. I found this post https://diysolarforum.com/threads/r...e-for-diy-lifepo4-batteries-sticky-post.5101/ but the Epever has several settings without any real explanation of what they are. I think most of them apply to lead acid and aren't needed for LiFePo4, but that leaves me unsure how to set them.

Here are the settings:
Over Voltage Disconnect Voltage
Charging Limit Voltage
Over Voltage Reconnect Voltage
Equalize Charging Voltage
Boost Charging Voltage
Float Charging Voltage
Boost Reconnect Charging Voltage
Low Voltage Reconnect Voltage
Under Voltage Warning Reconnect Voltage
Under Volt. Warning Volt.
Low Volt. Disconnect Volt.
Discharging Limit Voltage
Equalize Duration (min.)
Boost Duration (min.)

Thanks for any help you can give me with this.
Tim

I have the same questions that Tim has/had. I bought the Epever Tracer 2215BN at Will's recommendation, have searched the forum and elsewhere and can't find any guidance on settings beyond the basics, and Will seems to have posted different values on those (absorption = 14.2V or 14.6V, float = 13.5V or 13.6V, equalize = 0, temp comp coefficient = 0).

What about all those and all the other settings Tim lists? I can use the rules in the Epever manual to fudge some numbers (i.e. Over Voltage Disconnect Voltage > Charging Limit Voltage), but I really don't know what I'm doing and would appreciate some expert guidance.

And I am still unclear on this... Epever does not have an "Absorption" setting. Is "Equalize Charging Voltage" their term for absorption voltage?

Thanks very much, I will list my system below in case it is useful or entertaining. It is installed on a new custom teardrop camper, ready for its shakedown cruise.

Doug DuBois

2 x 100W HQST
Epever Tracer 2215BN with MT-50
2 x 16AH Miady LiFePO4 in parallel (happy so far, may add one more)

OK, I've been all over the intertubes looking for enlightenment. I think I've figured out that the Epever setting for "absorption" is called "charging limit voltage." How am I doing so far? I will set it at 14.5V per Will's recommendation.

If someone could just tell me what to do with the "boost" settings, I think I may be good to go. Somewhere I had gleaned settings of 14.4V with 120 minutes duration, someone else said 20 minutes. Now I'm thinking that I should simply disable boost by setting its duration to zero?

Please and thank you!

Doug

I am considering purchasing the EpEver 2215bn. Does anyone have a specific set-up to be used with the LiFepo4 105ah in a 24vdc battery setup. Or a link that has all of the required recommended starting settings? I do understand that you provide in inputs via the MT-50, plus I have read that some variables need to be set prior to others, or you will end up with error, however, no explanation of what gets set first? Epever site does not have a suggested setup that I could find. Thanks in advance

As the battery approaches full charge, it is common that one cell will get to a higher voltage. It is helpful to look for this to happen and to set the boost voltage so that the boost voltage is lower than the voltage (on the battery) where that one cell takes off toward 3.65v. The 120 minutes for boost (it will get the battery to the boost voltage and hold it there) is reasonable. After the 120 minutes it will drop to the float voltage. If you have that "runner" cell that wants to go high, you might have to reduce the boost voltage until you can hold boost without causing the BMS to stop charging.

Epever boost = absorbtion

Charging limit is a fail safe where the charge controller disconnect load.. Or pv input or something i forgot lol it is not absorbtion tho.

Epever bn series ssc dont have lifepo4 profiles?

If not just set absorb and equalize to 3.525v per cell and float to 3.4v per cell. If you dont have inverter to cut off power set low voltage disconnect to 2.7v per cell.

The Epever works as follows,

When it wakes up it charges at the maximum power the panel can give until the battery volts equal Boost Volts.
It then holds the battery at a constant voltage, the boost volts, for the Boost duration
At the end of Boost duration, the voltage drops to Float Voltage
If the battery volts drop below Boost reconnect volts, it starts the charge cycle again.

The settings on the Epever relate to the both charge control and to the load outputs. Settings related to the load outputs are shown in italics. The load outputs are not normally used and never with inverters.

Over volts disconnect voltage: if the battery volts exceed this , the load outputs disconnect from the load from the battery.

Charging limit voltage: if the battery volts exceed this, charging the battery from solar is stopped.

Over Voltage reconnect voltage: if the load outputs have been disconnected due to the battery exceeding over voltage, a reconnect will occur at this value.

Equalize charging voltage: this is applicable to lead acid batteries only, where a higher voltage than normal is applied for a period. Not used for lithium, set to equal to boost volts (as a safety measure) and set equalize duration to zero.

Boost charging voltage: the controller will charge the battery at maximum power from the solar panels, bulk charge, until this value is reached. At all times before this 'target' voltage is reached the maximum power control process will will try to 'pull' maximum power from the panels.

Float charging voltage: once the boost duration at constant voltage has been completed, the controller will hold a constant float voltage at the battery.

Boost reconnect charging voltage: once the unit is in float mode the voltage may vary due to solar conditions and any load on the battery, if the battery voltage falls below this value the controller re enters the bulk boost stage.

Low voltage reconnect voltage: if the load outputs have been disconnected due to a low battery, this voltage is the turn on value.

Under voltage warning reconnect voltage: warning turned off at this voltage.

Under voltage warning voltage: warning set at this voltage.

Low voltage disconnect voltage: load outputs are disconnected from the battery at this voltage.

Discharging limit voltage: other than issuing a warning at the set voltage the stand alone unit cannot do anything about this.

Equalize Duration: the time duration for the equalisation process, only applies to lead acid batteries. Set to zero for lithium.

Boost Duration: once the battery voltage reaches the target voltage, boost voltage, the controller holds the voltage constant for the boost duration.

Lithium settings

Its considered that charging to a lower target voltage is less stressful and will give a longer service life.
Any voltage over 3.4 volts per cell will charge to around 80%, 3.45 volts per cell to over 99% (13.8 v for a 12v battery, 27.6 for a 24 volt battery)

Holding the battery at a voltage higher than the resting voltage is also considered stressful, thus the float should be at 3.4 as a maximum, slightly lower at 3.35 would be better .

Boost duration is not needed in most small systems where the charging current is low compared to battery capacity.
Set to zero or a short duration, say 15 minutes.

Because lithium charge acceptance can be changed dramatically by small voltage variations and the variability of calibration settings in equipment, the actual voltages used may have to be adjusted slightly.

These are the settings I use on small hobby systems.

12v systems, boost charging voltage, 13.8 to 14.0 volts
boost duration, zero
float charging voltage. 13.35 to 13.45 volts
boost reconnect volts 13.30 ( reconnect slightly lower than float)

equalise charging voltage = boost charging voltage
equalise duration = zero

24v systems boost 27.6 to 28 volts, duration =zero, float= 26.7 to 26.9 volts, reconnect = 26.6 volts

Once you have the MT50 its possible to easily change parameters under User settings
For lithium you don't need temperature compensation so set this to 0 mV/deg

see,

Mike

Last edited:

When it wakes up it charges at the maximum power the panel can give until the battery volts equal Boost Volts.
It then holds the battery at a constant voltage, the boost volts, for the Boost duration
If the battery volts drop below Boost reconnect volts, it starts the charge cycle again.

The settings on the Epever relate to the both charge control and to the load outputs. Settings related to the load outputs are shown in italics. The load outputs are not normally used and never with inverters.

Over volts disconnect voltage: if the battery volts exceed this , the load outputs disconnect from the load from the battery.

Charging limit voltage: if the battery volts exceed this, charging the battery from solar is stopped.

Over Voltage reconnect voltage: if the load outputs have been disconnected due to the battery exceeding over voltage, a reconnect will occur at this value.

Equalize charging voltage: this is applicable to lead acid batteries only, where a higher voltage than normal is applied for a period. Not used for lithium, set to equal to boost volts (as a safety measure) and set equalize duration to zero.

Boost charging voltage: the controller will charge the battery at maximum power from the solar panels, bulk charge, until this value is reached. At all times before this 'target' voltage is reached the maximum power control process will will try to 'pull' maximum power from the panels.

Float charging voltage: once the boost duration at constant voltage has been completed, the controller will hold a constant float voltage at the battery.

Boost reconnect charging voltage: once the unit is in float mode the voltage may vary due to solar conditions and any load on the battery, if the battery voltage falls below this value the controller re enters the bulk boost stage.

Low voltage reconnect voltage: if the load outputs have been disconnected due to a low battery, this voltage is the turn on value.

Low voltage disconnect voltage: load outputs are disconnected from the battery at this voltage.

Discharging limit voltage: other than issuing a warning at the set voltage the stand alone unit cannot do anything about this.

Equalize Duration: the time duration for the equalisation process, only applies to lead acid batteries. Set to zero for lithium.

Boost Duration: once the battery voltage reaches the target voltage, boost voltage, the controller holds the voltage constant for the boost duration.

Lithium settings

Its considered that charging to a lower target voltage is less stressful and will give a longer service life.
Any voltage over 3.4 volts per cell will charge to around 80%, 3.45 volts per cell to over 99% (13.8 v for a 12v battery, 27.6 for a 24 volt battery)

Holding the battery at a voltage higher than the resting voltage is also considered stressful, thus the float should be at 3.4 as a maximum, slightly lower at 3.35 would be better .

Boost duration is not needed in most small systems where the charging current is low compared to battery capacity.

Because lithium charge acceptance can be changed dramatically by small voltage variations and the variability of calibration settings in equipment, the actual voltages used may have to be adjusted slightly.

boost duration, zero

equalise duration = zero

24v systems boost 27.6 to 28 volts, duration =zero, float= 26.7 to 26.9 volts, reconnect = 26.6 volts

Once you have the MT50 its possible to easily change parameters under User settings

see,

Mike
Mike: Thank you for the very nice detailed info on the Lithium Settings and how each parameter is used. BobFlyer

Lithium settings

boost duration, zero

equalise duration = zero

see,

Mike
Mike: Very helpful and thanks. I am due to receive the 2215bn (Oct 2) tomorrow and was wondering about the user profile settings. Once it is set up and data is saved. If the PV panels and the battery are disconnected (solar generator emergency use), does the unit retain your user settings in the units memory? I.E. if I let it set in the garage for some time without use and disconnected will I have to reset the parameters on the user interface again when it is activated for use? Thanks again.

Back