diy solar

diy solar

Epever Tracer PV light randomly shuts off

Pequods

I've basically copied Will Prowse's DIY 400w solar power system. I have a 100ah SOK battery and one 400w panel.
Everything seems to work for about 20 minutes, but then the PV light (which has been happily flashing) turns off. When this happens, my inverter briefly flashes a red fault light and switches off for just a second. After a few minutes the charge light comes back on and the whole process starts again.
I've kinda checked all my connections by wiggling them and reset the breaker fuse. I'm still waiting for the MT50 monitor to arrive but I'm only running a laptop and a display for the moment.

Is it normal for the PV light to switch off when the battery is (possibly) fully charged?

Something is going on. Your inverter should be happy with just the battery. How much of a load on the inverter? You could try to drain the SOK down and repeat the test. One thought would be that in the 20 minutes, the SOK is charged and shuts down, triggering the inverter fault and stopping the solar controller.

Thanks.
I had charged the battery fully before I plugged the system in. So it does feel like something is triggering once the battery is full. It's been a fairly sunny day (for the UK) and I have the laptop running at between 45 to 90 watts and my Wacom Cintiq pen display at 35 watts. It's a small office setup for an 'artist'.
I'll try discharging the battery more by adding another load, maybe actually hoovering in here for a change!

The PV light is an indicator of connection to PV panels.
Check your panel to C Controller wiring/connections.
You may also have a faulty C controller.

Which controller do you have , an or bn. What amperage? How are your panels wired? Parallel, series? Depending on your controller you may be past voltage limits? I am running epever controllers. At first tbe only reason it shut off was due to voltage to high for the controller.

Thanks for the replies.

I've tightened connections.

I drained some of the battery's capacity. I wasn't watching all the time, but for a while I didn't experience the blip in power. Until the next (sunny day) when I noticed the battery light on the controller flashing, which indicates the battery is full. Soon after, the power blip occurred and the PV light on the controller went out again for a few minutes.

My specs:
-Epever Solar Tracer BN 40amp
-Just one Perlight Delta 400W Total Black Mono solar panel
-1000w (peak 2000w) pure sine wave inverter

Back