diy solar

Epever Tracer4215BN Watts volts in/Volts out

Lurch2021

can i input 1040W@24V and output to 12v battery bank
or am i limited to 502w@24v

thank you for any insight

can i input 1040W@24V and output to 12v battery bank
or am i limited to 502w@24
Epever BN SCC have a Max Volts Input of 150Volts!
You are confusing so called 24V panels which has relevance to max voltage input to a charge controller.

What actual panels do you have in your array?

Epever BN SCC have a Max Volts Input of 150Volts!
You are confusing so called 24V panels which has relevance to max voltage input to a charge controller.

What actual panels do you have in your array?
i currently have 4 100 panels@12v, i am looking to purchase additional panels, i know about the 150v max,
my question remains scc will accept 12/24v,, if i supply 24v@1040watts will scc convert it to 12v or will i be overloading scc as it pertains to wattage.
thank you

Last edited:
i currently have 4 100 panels@12v, i am looking to purchase additional panels, i know about the 150v max,
my question remains scc will accept 12/24v,, if i supply 24v@1040watts will scc convert it to 12v or will i be overloading scc
You are confused.
You are not supplying 24V!
Your 100 watt panels put out a lot more voltage than 12V
100w panel puts out about 18Vmp and 21Voc.
Two 100w panels in series outputs 36Vmp and 42Voc.

Your 40A Epever is only good for about 520 watts of panels for max production into a 12V battery.

How many panels total?
Why are you using expensive small 100w panels?
Are they on a vehicle?

thank you, you have answered my question no matter the input V, i cannot exceed 520w into 12v battery bank
panels were gift, along w fla batteries, am waiting on delivery of 16 lifepo4 batteries, bought scc before researching options,
now i've seen the all in ones, that Will endorses i may get one of them,plus more panels

thank you, you have answered my question no matter the input V, i cannot exceed 520w into 12v battery bank
panels were gift, along w fla batteries, am waiting on delivery of 16 lifepo4 batteries, bought scc before researching options,
now i've seen the all in ones, that Will endorses i may get one of them,plus more panels
Nope.
520 watts panels is Max Production and you can exceed that 520w by a lot.

You can overpanel a lot more watts on that Epever BN.
Read the manual for the Max PV array wattage spec.

But how many Ah is your fla battery as that does have a charging max.

Thank you,
Took your advice,reread manual i see Max watts without damage to scc is 1560W/12V
thank you for your patience.

I just look at the user manual, it is intersting to see PV power input rating like this:
Page 9 ~ 10.
When the PV array straight polarity, the actual operation of the PV array must NOT 10 exceed three times of rated charge power, When the PV array reverse polarity, the actual operation must NOT exceed 1.5 times.

I would over paneling (just make sure not to exceed PV input Volatge spec) to get the most power through out the day as you can, panels are cheap compared to batteries.

Last edited:
Nope.
520 watts panels is Max Production and you can exceed that 520w by a lot.

You can overpanel a lot more watts on that Epever BN.
Read the manual for the Max PV array wattage spec.

But how many Ah is your fla battery as that does have a charging max.
As Forbisher just said - I have been running by "30 Amp" Epever BN with a nominal "500 Watt" Array for multiple years without any problems at all. When the batteries don't want to accept all the available Solar watts, the SCC needs to leave the "excess" power in the panels - either by intentionally adjusting the tuned Array Voltage away from the MPPT, or by falling into "PWM" on the Solar side (rapidly disconnecting and reconning the array, leaving power unused within the panels).

My old "big iron" MPPT definitely used both PWM and MPPT mode on the Solar side. I'm not sure whether the EpEver "BN" also has both mechanisms, or runs with only the MPPT "mis-tuning" tactic. The maximum power delivery of a "40A" Tracer BN varies according to Battery Voltage - at the 14.5V value which I use to charge my LFP batteries, it could push 580 Watts into the Batteries and simultaneous "12V" DC loads. The maximum panel power which it could utilize is 580 Watts divided by ~ 95 percent efficiency, depending on the MPPT versus battery voltage differential. So it can actually utilize about 610 watts of PV power delivered at the Tracer terminals. From the panels above, you're also losing some power in the Solar Wires - so you might be using perhaps 630 watts. as generated right at the panels. Lead-Acid batteries are charged at somewhat lower voltages.

"800 Watts" of nominal panels will only deliver about 800 watts for a few minutes, near Solar Noon, on a perfect and cloudless day WITH panels pointed straight at the noon-day sun. If your "30A" SCC would like to use all 610 watts for a full hour, or even 2 hours, then 800 watts of panels sounds like a pretty good match too me - your maximum power Solar Day (at 630 watts actually delivered) extends well before "noon" and well "after "noon as well. Delivered power rises to 630 watts in the late morning, and remains constant until early afternoon, falling off later. If your panels are not at the best angle (mine for example, are flat on a horizontal roof), then you need even more nominal "Panel Power" to utilize the controller completely, for an extended period of time.

The EPEVER "BN" manual lists maximum usable power, with no mention of maximum configurable power at all. I SWAG the maximum configured power to be almost nearly twice as large, for an installation like mine (horizontal panels fixed panels with no tracking on either axis). On my 30A, I'd probably be good with 800 nominal watts on my flat RV roof. (Although I don't need "maximum panels" right now, because my small battery bank always gets charged mid-afternoon anyways, with a couple of good hours left unused). With a 40A, I'd be comfortable going all the way to 1100 watts, maybe even 1200.

I just look at the user manual, it is intersting to see PV power input rating like this:
Page 9 ~ 10.
When the PV array straight polarity, the actual operation of the PV array must NOT 10 exceed three times of rated charge power, When the PV array reverse polarity, the actual operation must NOT exceed 1.5 times.

Kewl, I never noticed that (and it's even more generous than the SWAGs of my previous post). With my own Tracer BN "30A" charging an LFP battery bank @ 14.5, the rated charge power is 435 watts, so their rule of thumb allows 1300 watts already. And the 40A version could support up to 1700 watts, even though I think it's crazy to go past 1200 (roughly 2:1, rather than 3:1).

As Forbisher just said - I have been running by "30 Amp" Epever BN with a nominal "500 Watt" Array for multiple years without any problems at all. When the batteries don't want to accept all the available Solar watts, the SCC needs to leave the "excess" power in the panels - either by intentionally adjusting the tuned Array Voltage away from the MPPT, or by falling into "PWM" on the Solar side (rapidly disconnecting and reconning the array, leaving power unused within the panels).

My old "big iron" MPPT definitely used both PWM and MPPT mode on the Solar side. I'm not sure whether the EpEver "BN" also has both mechanisms, or runs with only the MPPT "mis-tuning" tactic. The maximum power delivery of a "40A" Tracer BN varies according to Battery Voltage - at the 14.5V value which I use to charge my LFP batteries, it could push 580 Watts into the Batteries and simultaneous "12V" DC loads. The maximum panel power which it could utilize is 580 Watts divided by ~ 95 percent efficiency, depending on the MPPT versus battery voltage differential. So it can actually utilize about 610 watts of PV power delivered at the Tracer terminals. From the panels above, you're also losing some power in the Solar Wires - so you might be using perhaps 630 watts. as generated right at the panels. Lead-Acid batteries are charged at somewhat lower voltages.

"800 Watts" of nominal panels will only deliver about 800 watts for a few minutes, near Solar Noon, on a perfect and cloudless day WITH panels pointed straight at the noon-day sun. If your "30A" SCC would like to use all 610 watts for a full hour, or even 2 hours, then 800 watts of panels sounds like a pretty good match too me - your maximum power Solar Day (at 630 watts actually delivered) extends well before "noon" and well "after "noon as well. Delivered power rises to 630 watts in the late morning, and remains constant until early afternoon, falling off later. If your panels are not at the best angle (mine for example, are flat on a horizontal roof), then you need even more nominal "Panel Power" to utilize the controller completely, for an extended period of time.

The EPEVER "BN" manual lists maximum usable power, with no mention of maximum configurable power at all. I SWAG the maximum configured power to be almost nearly twice as large, for an installation like mine (horizontal panels fixed panels with no tracking on either axis). On my 30A, I'd probably be good with 800 nominal watts on my flat RV roof. (Although I don't need "maximum panels" right now, because my small battery bank always gets charged mid-afternoon anyways, with a couple of good hours left unused). With a 40A, I'd be comfortable going all the way to 1100 watts, maybe even 1200.
good example and explanation, Thank you

Back