diy solar

diy solar

EPEVER TRIRON 4210N STILL not supporting Lithium Batteries

OnTheRoadAgain

Solar Enthusiast
Just today received an EPEVER Solar controller from Amazon that lacks lithium battery support

EPEVER 40a Solar Charge Controller+MT50 Remote Controller Set, TRIRON 4210N 40 amps 12V 24V Lead-Acid&Lithium Support​

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NVDJFD4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is no sticker or any indication that it supports Lithium batteries anywhere in the packaging.

here is the test directly from Amazon website
❸7 battery type Supoort; Sealed(AGM), Gel, Flooded, Lead-acid User, LiFePO4 Lithium, Li(NiCoMn)O2 Lithium, Lithium User(9~34V). Dual 5V DC USB output interface of this mppt controller can charge your electronic devices directly.

The instructions include nothing for utilizing Lithium batters.
The 4 types listed as supported in the Instructions are
SEALED GEL FLOODED USER

So back it goes.

I was told (here I believe) that only the newer units (with a sticker indicating Lithium battery compatibility) worked with Lithium batteries.

Maybe I received OLD STOCK ?

Take a look at this video where Will compares CCs for LiFePo use. He's shows a 20a model Triron but they should operate the same. go to 19:45 into the video

I was told (here I believe) that only the newer units (with a sticker indicating Lithium battery compatibility) worked with Lithium batteries.

Maybe I received OLD STOCK ?
I have a Triron 4210n. I bought it used so it's gotta be "old stock", relative to what you have. I corresponded with tech support about firmware updates and was told there is none, so I assume nothing has really changed. Maybe she meant I can't upgrade firmware in the field, but that's not the impression I got.

There is a Lithium choice in the phone app and, I think, the laptop app. For the phone, you have to have a Bluetooth or WiFi dongle; for the laptop, it connects only with a RS485-USB cable, not WiFi or BT. I believe it is a requirement to use either app for Li settings. Even if you pick Li battery type in the app, you can edit individual settings which is essentially the same as User settings on the controller itself.

Once connected on the phone app, it's cryptic, but it works. If you want further details, I can walk you through it.

Edit: I see the package you bought includes the RS485-USB cable. That works with the Windows software, which you might have to download from the support web site.

Be careful with the terminal screws. They're cheap zinc stuff and are not replaceable. Make sure your screwdriver fits very well before applying any pressure. A straight screwdriver is less likely to strip the screw head than a Phillips head.

Also, the system has a common negative, internally. As implied above, I stripped the head of the negative battery terminal screw. My workaround is to connect the negative load terminal to the system common negative post, in lieu of connecting the negative battery terminal.

As a side note on the EPever’s When I bought the two 4215bn CCs almost 2 years ago I was told by their tech support when communicating to them that they don’t support LiFePo...............Hummm
Well, I set my own parameters in the user setting and my LiFePo’s do just fine ?
Set LiFePo parameters for your battery with the MT50 meter on the user settings on the Triron and you will be good to go.

Last edited:
As a side note on the EPever’s When I bought the two 4215bn CCs almost 2 years ago I was told by their tech support when communicating to them that they don’t support LiFePo...............Hummm
Well, I set my own parameters in the user setting and my LiFePo’s do just fine ?
Set LiFePo parameters for your battery with the MT50 meter on the user settings on the Triron and you will be good to go.
This forum is saving my butt, time and time again!
Epever couldn't have done a better job confusing me, with multiple models at the SAME amperage, changing voltage maximums, a plethora of add-ons but only for most settings, etc. But this nails it for me: no Windows computer required! (I have the MT50, due to an error.) Phew!
And people do willing to go the extra mile for others who may be entirely new to the field. It's downright inspiring, I tell ya!
Thanks guys and gals for giving me confidence to carry on with LiFePO4, a totally new chemistry to this old part.

I am now a 4 day owner of this beast, the Triron 4210N and the only reason I wouldn't send it back at this moment is if I can't find a replacement that is more user-professional friendly. I am looking for anything that handles 4S 3.2V 280aH at 40A and works with a MT50. What are my other options at below $250 US? Thanks!

I don't mind wading through programming this thing if it would work, assuming I know what to input but this unit has some other issues as well. The manual over-complicates the simple and over simplifies the complicated. On page 7 of the manual, it says in bold print "MT50 don't support the lithium battery parameters". (SIC) This to me is pretty much the opposite of what someone suggested to use the MT50 to program lithium battery parameters.

Your 'Trion' probably supports "User" battery parameters in the same way as my Tracer BN3215, which I programmed via the MT-50. Tracer' BN' models have worked great in the 3 installations I have used them - including my personal Travel Trailer. I've programmed them all via MT-50 as "User" battery settings. If you can keep the MT-50, here a cheapo Ebay BN4215 (40A compared to 30A on my own unit), from a 100% rated seller in CA: https://www.ebay.com/itm/324027239727 . Other Ebay sellers are offering package deals with the MT-50 included, if you will need that included upon return of your Trion package..

Back