diy solar

diy solar

EPSolar AN series to RS485 to Ethernet

I think that might be from the Renogy MT-50 manual ~ My understanding is that they are different and incompatible devices on a number of levels - despite sharing the same name.

Ah!
that would explain the weird pin numbering in the Renology manual
1629866700144.png

I'd completely failed to notice they are different products.
I guess because so many ebay type offerings are the same thing under different names.

I have just picked up an AN2010 tracer and am waiting on the OEM cable that they send to interface ..I guess via an FTDi serial -USB adapter...so just posit there to 'watch' this post.

I'll let you know how the OEM adapter is wired as/ when it arrives form china too.

I bought a USB cable along with my first AN reg. It is definitely an Exar device.

1631935595552.png

For me, the USB cable was great to get the first one setup, but converting to ethernet is more practical as more reg's are added.

I only have ethernet there in my camp when I turn on the inverter. and I only need it occasionally jsut really to set the user Cell type parameters...I think that the Flooded Cell voltages are a little high for my liking

Mak'in progress
The V-COM driver I'm using allows multiple devices running on separate RS485-Ethernet bridges to all be mapped to one COM Port.
I wasn't expecting this part to work so smoothly, so was a bit stunned when everything (3x regs, 2nd wifi AP) "just worked".
Also, it didn't break the existing connection to the original networked reg.

1632279008062.png

3rd wifi AP was DoA, so reg 5 will have to wait for a replacement, but I'm happy with the progress.

Two of my batteries were in very poor condition (ID's 3&4).
I replaced both today and with new batteries, I wanted to clear the stats and start fresh.
Then I discovered you con do a factory reset, but you can't clear the stats without a "Root" Password
1632397053836.png

For the next person looking to clear the stats on an AN or BN series (possibly others), the root password is: 102206

I can't even get the ruddy software to see the Tracer AN2210
Win version 1.95

Driver installs
have tried both Win 10 and Win 7
Win 10 throws up some error or other .
Win 7 seems to work USB driver installs virtual com port whine I can add

But I cannot seem to add the station ..
There is a n entry for Device ID..is that jsut your reference for an ID number set on the device?

How do I add the Tracer AN2210?

any hints appreciated as the instructions seem to be written in Chinglish...are as mcc use as a chocolate fire guard.

I've only used it on Win7 - sorry, can't help with Win10.

You are using the OEM USB cable?
I just plugged mine in and it reported as a COM port.

RS485 is a One controller / multi-slave bus, so it's the Device ID that allows you to address a specific device on the bus (AN SCC in this case)
The default ID is 1 and until you add another device, there is no need to change it.

When you load SSMv1.95, do you see a COM Port? If so, all is well. If not, try a different USB port

Add a station:

1632869382317.png

Select the first tab- Station Information.
1632869929006.png
The Device ID Must match your controller, but the other settings seem to be for info only.

Press Update and move onto the fourth tab - Controller
If the Device ID has a value (not blank), then you've saved it from the previous step. If it's blank, try again (first tab).
1632870413323.png
Check the COM port looks right. If you've got something else providing a COM port, you can choose the correct one here

Make sure the check box is not selected or it will try to add a new station every time you start SSM.

All being well, pressing the Start Monitoring button should populate the readings
1632870899938.png

Last edited:
Yes, OEM cable
Yes, it see and adds correct COM port, as confirmed by the Device Manager.
A station also appears

I did see some thread / YouTube video showing that I must go to Device Manager COM port advance settings and checking an RS485 check box, which I have not tried yet.

Currently I hit ‘Start Monitoring’ and it tries and I just get a timeout error

Will try again later this week.

Ah - yes indeed. Forgot about that as I haven't used it in months

1632902608683.png
Check the other setting while you are there, but checking RS-485 should make it work.

That was it.

Worked instantly after the RS485 check box

Now need to think about the User settings I want to use on my Lead acid cells. Don't like the 'Flooded' settings that are built in . Max voltage of 16 as a cut out ...I even thing that the flat is a bit high 14 I think was default.

Need to look again to see,

I have massive over capacity battery wise. 3840Ah at 12 volt. big stack of free but new aircraft tug batteries :)

What is the consensus..the Flooded settings too high or OK?

Attachments

• IMG_5324.JPG
    IMG_5324.JPG
    310.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Tracer AN2210.jpg
    Tracer AN2210.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 6
Excellent! Good result.

I've been wondering about the settings in my regs too. They seem a bit ... hot.

Excellent! Good result.

I've been wondering about the settings in my regs too. They seem a bit ... hot.
Question for the two of you:

I’ve got a tracer AN communicating with their SW on a laptop through the USB cable.

That’s working fine for occasional adjusting parameters but my system is in the basement and I’m now starting to think it might be nice to be able to monitor easily (from my living room, the floor above).

So in terms of the cost & complexity of getting a wire run from my basement up to the floor above (where I have my router), is Ethernet the easiest way to go?

How much screwing around is involved and did either/both of you settle on the best Ethernet adapter option for an Epever AN-Series Tracer?

Epever offer a wifi adapter that may be worth considering depending how hard it will be to run a cable.

I explicitly wanted to run cable, so I went down that path.
Also, I wasn't sure if the OEM device might be 'too smart' and prevent me talking to multiple SCC's. And they only talk about their mobile App which I didn't want to use.

Anyway, the difficulty will be running the cable. Once you've done that, the setup is easy(ish).
I couldn't find any reference online to the required settings, so I fumbled around until it came to life - I can save you some time there!

I'm doubt I selected 'the best' RS485-Ethernet bridge, but it was cheap enough and it does work. I selected this one based on their support offering the required Virtual COM port driver (just easier than kludging random parts together).
In terms of cost: 30~50usd depending on what is already in your junk box.

Epever offer a wifi adapter that may be worth considering depending how hard it will be to run a cable.

I explicitly wanted to run cable, so I went down that path.
Also, I wasn't sure if the OEM device might be 'too smart' and prevent me talking to multiple SCC's. And they only talk about their mobile App which I didn't want to use.

Anyway, the difficulty will be running the cable. Once you've done that, the setup is easy(ish).
I couldn't find any reference online to the required settings, so I fumbled around until it came to life - I can save you some time there!

I'm doubt I selected 'the best' RS485-Ethernet bridge, but it was cheap enough and it does work. I selected this one based on their support offering the required Virtual COM port driver (just easier than kludging random parts together).
In terms of cost: 30~50usd depending on what is already in your junk box.
Not sure what my ‘junk box’ is but I already have several cables running from my basement to my ‘command center’ so adding another one is no big deal…

WiFi might be a nice option but first I’ve got to check whether my WiFi coverage extends into the basement and second, I’m interested in the lowest-cost continuous power consumption possible.

Aside from wanting to keep costs to the minimum, avoiding huge headaches when getting things running / setup is a high priority.

I managed to finally get the PC software working through the USB cable, but just barely (the ‘documentation’ is a joke).

So yeah, any help you can provide to reduce ‘fumbling’ would be greatly appreciated. Do you have a link to the RS485-Ethernet bridge you used?

Your 'junk box' might be a draw under the TV or a box in garage where you toss retired but working 'things' you don't have an immediate use for, but too good to throw out.
A 110V-12VDC wall wart for example (my RS485-Ethernet bridge didn't come with a wall wart).

The bridge I'm using is the ZLAN 5143D (the D indicated DIN rail. Other versions are available). It's available from ebay, aliexpress etc.

Just had another thought.
Given you only have a single SCC (yes?), you could just run the RS485 up a twisted pair and terminate it in an RJ45 socket that you could plug your existing cable into. This won't get it into your network obviously, but qualifies as 'minimum effort'.

Last edited:
Your 'junk box' might be a draw under the TV or a box in garage where you toss retired but working 'things' you don't have an immediate use for, but too good to throw out.
A 110V-12VDC wall wart for example (my RS485-Ethernet bridge didn't come with a wall wart).
Oh, I see. I’ve got several of those ;).
The bridge I'm using is the ZLAN 5143D (the D indicated DIN rail. Other versions are available). It's available from ebay, aliexpress etc.
Perfect, thanks.
Just had another thought.
Given you only have a single SCC (yes?), you could just run the RS485 up a twisted pair and terminate it in an RJ45 socket that you could plug your existing cable into. This won't get it into your network obviously, but qualifies as 'minimum effort'.
Didn’t realize RS485 could be extended so easily. Is there any special requirement on the cable type (‘twisted pair’) and what is the limit on extension length?

This sounds like an easy way to occasionally connect into a laptop on my coffee table instead of needing to drag a laptop down to the basement - thanks!

Didn’t realize RS485 could be extended so easily. Is there any special requirement on the cable type (‘twisted pair’) and what is the limit on extension length?

It's probably obvious, but just to re-iterate, this doesn't let you connect the devices to a normal ethernet-based network. It just lets you use some of the same ports/cables as long as they don't have any other electronics involved - e.g. no network switches, routers, etc.

It just needs to be a straight wired cable - i.e. not a cross-over cable. The distance will be a function of the quality of the copper, the shielding, and the devices on both ends. Under ideal conditions (and slow baud rates) RS485 can work at distances of 4000 feet. (ref)

It's probably obvious, but just to re-iterate, this doesn't let you connect the devices to a normal ethernet-based network. It just lets you use some of the same ports/cables as long as they don't have any other electronics involved - e.g. no network switches, routers, etc.

It just needs to be a straight wired cable - i.e. not a cross-over cable. The distance will be a function of the quality of the copper, the shielding, and the devices on both ends. Under ideal conditions (and slow baud rates) RS485 can work at distances of 4000 feet. (ref)
Yeah, I understand extending the RS485 cable is not going to get the SCC on a network.

I’ve got a 5’ cable now so would just give me the same capability in my living room that I’ve got now in the basement.

I only need ~20’ of distance or so and I’ve got recycled Ethernet cable that is at least that long, so I’m trying to understand whether Ethernet cable can be repurposed for RS485 and what’s needed to do that as easily and cheaply as possible…

Testing would be pretty straightforward since I could first test whether my new longer cable can successfully replace the 5’ Epever cable in the basement before pulling it through the floor into the living room.

Back