diy solar

diy solar

Equalisation charging for Ampere time Lifepo4 batteries

SimonGeorgy

Hi all, I am wondering what peoples thoughts on Equalisation charging lifepo4 batteries are. Namely the brand Ampere time. It is recommended in their battery settings to equalise at 14.0v for 120mins (I didn’t see anything about the day interval) and I have read frequently that Lifepo4 shouldn’t be equalised. I wonder if anyone may be able to share insights into why it might be different for this brand of batteries.

I also wonder if it’s possible to utilise equalisation function for a series battery bank to balance them periodically.

Thanks guys

Li doesn't need/use EQ in the lead sense, but if EQ voltage is set to Absorption voltage it's a non-issue.

I typically charge lower (13.8v) and use EQ for a monthly run to 14.0v in order to reset the BMS amp counter to 100%.

Thanks Fratermus for clarifying that, I’m glad to hear its not damaging if applied correctly. Is it possible to elaborate a little as to why it’s safe to equalise as long as it’s the same as absorption voltage. My understanding of battery charging isn’t good enough to put the numbers together. Cheers

Equalization is traditionally for Lead-acid batteries (mainly flooded or SLA, not all types).
Equalization usually outputs a higher voltage (15v or maybe more for a 12v battery).

Lifepo4 could get harmed at those voltages (a good BMS will go into protection mode).

Right ok so it doesn’t really matter what you call it as long as your not equalising at a voltage you would for a lead acid battery it’s harmless. And by equalising at 14.0v as is manufacturer spec it will somehow make sure each cell is at 3.5v (or try to?).

I wonder if this would work for 4 batteries wired in series instead of charging individually every couple of months or so. I suppose in theory it would

Back