diy solar

diy solar

Equalizing a cranking battery in times of Covid?

rin67630

Solar Enthusiast
I am just wondering: Normally a car cranking battery never needs an equalization, since the battery is permanently shaken on the road.
But now, in times of COVID since I have not been using my car for over six months, it is probably not enough to trickle load the battery, but it would need an equalization too?

On my vehicles that sit, I just go take them for a drive once in awhile (like maybe every few weeks)... If you let the battery settle for a day and check the resting voltage, if it sits at 12.7v or so (that's about 2.12v per cell), then it should be fine. If the resting voltage is lower than 12.6-12.7v by too far, then that could indicate an imbalance or a weak cell, if you thought it needed an equalize, they have portable automotive chargers with an equalize feature. But if you're getting full resting voltage, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. Also, if you have caps/lids on the battery, check the electrolyte level and make sure no plates are exposed, and fill with distilled water as necessary.

Back